cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Knives Magnets and and rv

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My DW would like to put up a magnetic knife holder in the new rv. What are the chances of the knives vibrating off the magnet strip while we are driving down the road?
37 REPLIES 37

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE this post. It's sooo classic RV.NET.

"I've never used one, but I'm positive they'll fall."

"I use one but never traveled with them up there, I'm positive they'll fall."

"I use one and travel with them up there, they've never fallen."

For all of my friends who have them, they travel with the knives up there and they've never fallen. I don't have one because I don't have a good spot for it. But if I did, they'd travel up there without a concern.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Our stove is located over the axles and we have a magnetic holder mounted behind it. Knives hang handle down and have never fallen off. We like ours.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
FrankShore wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We keep ours in a drawer.

This answer is too easy!!

Same ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
We have limited like 3 'perfect' killer knives that works for all foods etc and just stuff those bad boys in a drawer ๐Ÿ˜‰

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
We do this. They are handle down, point up. Never fallen off yet. We drive Californias "smooth" roads. They have yet to fall off, even the scissors.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our ceramic knives keep falling off the magnets. :B

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an IKEA magnetic holder but haven't used it in my RV. It has very strong magnets. It's true that some stainless steel is non-magnetic, but virtually all cutlery is magnetic.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60238645/

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Used magnetic knife holder in a 5โ€™er for several years, last MH for 7 years, and current MH for a few months. As others have mention, never had a knife fall off. We put point down and position handle right at magnet. Saw someone on Facebook that put two magnetic holders. The longer, heavier knives then were held to both.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I think for the most part it should be good. There are always trade offs, won't work vert well with stainless, the slots behind the sink is a good method and some where I read about one with magnets as part of the slots.

We uae a Camco knife holder on one of the cabinet doors, works great and DW likes it so much we have one for the Hinkles in the S&B. Open the door and there are your knives.

I do the same thing. They are tucked safely out of the way, don't clutter up drawer space, and are right there when I need them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

WillT
Explorer
Explorer
We have used two of these and they hold knives and scissors perfectly. Never had one fall off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049JXI98/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS...
2001 F-350 4X4 V10 64,000 miles
2018 Nash 26N
2014 Nash 17K (Previous)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a magnetic knife holder works great. Takes advantage of wall space vs. putting knives in drawer. Knives do not fall off.
I imagine all knife racks are not created equal. I don't think all suspensions and ride quality are equal either.
Magnetic knife rack works well for me.

If you don't trust magnet you may consider

Camco Knife Safe

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We have a magnetic knife holder the wife loves.

The odds of the knives vibrating and coming off 100%

Very quick and easy to take them, dump them in the silverware drawer before closing up the trailer, and pull them out during setup.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

This answer is too easy!!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We keep ours in a block and put the block in a cabinet for travel. Have a magnetic holder in the S&B that holds the knives with a death grip. Almost takes 2 hands to get them loose. That would be fine in the coach if we had a convenient place to put it. Got it at a restaurant supply store.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Have had magnetic knife holders in the last 3 rigs and have yet to have a knife fall. we hang em handle down and have everything from steak knives to about 10" blades. Bought the last holder at IKEA. Its got rare earth magnets in behind the stainless plate and they are strong!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)