cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaking tv antenna

Gasman
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience with water leaking down tv antenna crank up shaft?
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ D/A 4x4 Z71 Ext Cab
2012 Alpine 3450RL 5th Wheel
8 REPLIES 8

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I am glad you posted this as I need to fix mine and did not have it on the to do list.

On mine I get a little drip in heavy rain and wind but not going down the road.
On mine I took it apart in the summer for the quick fix and found out that there are parts missing from the install, I assume from the factory. The missing parts are a washer or two and most important the rubber seal on the shaft. Go figure.

JimR

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the problem only when going down the road at 60. Apparently internal cabin pressures fluctuate and suck the water in while raining. except for it being right over the drivers head, I would be less irritated. Spraying seal with silicon lube reduces it. I would sure like to hear from someone with a real fix other than staying out of the rain.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
yeah..we hafta..keep it caulked...or sprayed with rubber compound..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Seals, boot, putty tape and caulking can be a problem. I had all 4 problems on a new KZ Spree.
Here are a few photos of what I found:

Antenna & More

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem is the seal around the shaft.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine still leaks from the fall when I discovered it. I covered it for the winter. Temps were pretty cool last fall and I didn't dare pick at it while staring down the barrel of winter. As soon as the weather breaks I'll have it apart to replace O-rings or whatever.
Check the boot where the wire passes through the swivel plate.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is probably coming from the place where the cable enters the base of the antenna. There is a rubber covering that often works its way off. I put some caulking compound on mine and then replaced the covering.

While you are up on the roof attending or checking that, take a can of Silicone spray up there and squirt a generous amount down the antenna where it cranks up. That should be done a couple of times a year to keep the thing operating smoothly and probably prevent the O rings from leaking.

Check out the subject on this site.

Also, page 4 of this manual tells exactly where to put silicon spray on the antenna to keep it from leaking. There are a couple of other spots that I didn't mention above.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine