cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window on a sewer tank - A room with a crappy view?

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Hi y'all. Question here. In my motorhome I have the bathroom sink feeding the vent pipe of the black tank. A few weeks back the brackets holding the tank got loose and the seams between the toilet, the vents and the tank got separeted. I had the tank re-installed, everything works, but I think the vent pipe is not fully sealed, because when I leave the sink open after a few minutes I see a few drops out of the tank on the side of the vent pipe.
The shop that worked on the tank told me that to be able to re-seat that pipe we need to take apart the entire bathroom (and I agree).
So I was thinking, what about if I just make a rectangular cut at the bottom of the tank, seal it from the inside and then put an over sized plexiglass cover properly sealed? Comments?
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
10 REPLIES 10

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Hi y'all. Question here. In my motorhome I have the bathroom sink feeding the vent pipe of the black tank. A few weeks back the brackets holding the tank got loose and the seams between the toilet, the vents and the tank got separeted. I had the tank re-installed, everything works, but I think the vent pipe is not fully sealed, because when I leave the sink open after a few minutes I see a few drops out of the tank on the side of the vent pipe.
The shop that worked on the tank told me that to be able to re-seat that pipe we need to take apart the entire bathroom (and I agree).
So I was thinking, what about if I just make a rectangular cut at the bottom of the tank, seal it from the inside and then put an over sized plexiglass cover properly sealed? Comments?
To each his own I guess, I prefer to watch TV

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I really would not- even if you must drop the tank again, fixing it correctly is really the only choice.
Normally, we cut the vent pipes, then repair with no-hub couplings (basically rubber tubes with hose clamps).
-- Chris Bryant

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Bump
Alfa SeeYa

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Let it drip!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

map40
Explorer
Explorer
trop-a-cal wrote:
Redundant pipes sometimes work as they act as a sleeve. Your sink pipe may also be cracked so the sleeve may solve problem. Just use smaller diameter flexible pipe and lubricate it so it will go down the existing pipe under the U trap. Let it stay about an inch out so when the U trap is reinstalled it sleeves the lower portion of the U trap, and is removable. Don't push it down beyond the neck of the connection to the tank more than an inch. Good luck.

Thanks. Good point, but the pipe is not cracked, we checked them all.
Now, the sleeve idea is pretty cool. The only problem would be that if the leak is on the outside of the pipe (between the tank and the pipe), the sleeve won't help, right?
Alfa SeeYa

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Redundant pipes sometimes work as they act as a sleeve. Your sink pipe may also be cracked so the sleeve may solve problem. Just use smaller diameter flexible pipe and lubricate it so it will go down the existing pipe under the U trap. Let it stay about an inch out so when the U trap is reinstalled it sleeves the lower portion of the U trap, and is removable. Don't push it down beyond the neck of the connection to the tank more than an inch. Good luck.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I see if a future failure going down the road or while sitting in camp site and a rush of sewage flowing under rig.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You'd really have to do some cleaning to get any adhesive to stick to the tank. I think it's possible but I would hate to make a hole in a tank that is otherwise fine.

THe window idea is good though. On another TT we had the tank was made out of the white plastic material and had no cover over it. when it was light out I could look down the toilet and see everything..

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea......It actually has some merit.
But, maybe on this one, "Out of sight, out of mind."
Gosh, I have to think about it. hummmm??
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that is a novel idea to see if it empty or clean........:E
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C