cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lets Talk Slide Outs

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
It appears there is 4 different slides systems on the market 2 from the past and still current >> Power Gear electric and HWH hydraulic slide systems, and now 2 newer systems on the market >> Bal Accu-Slide cable and Schwintek slide systems.

As I read post on here seems the 2 systems from the past have the least of all issues and the 2 newer systems have the most issues especially the Schwintek system, so my question is why are most all newer RV's going the newer slides when they are having all the issues, why not stick with the old tried and trued systems, as for me I have the Power Gear and very happy with it and after 7 years of use no issues.

What's your take on the new slide system compared to the older slide systems.

:C
6 REPLIES 6

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things that I looked for when buying my used motorhome was what slide out system it had. I would not even consider one with a schwintek in it. No cable one either. It had to have a hydraulic, or a power gear. ( Which my Jayco has).. unfortunately now, I read that Lippert. (AKA : schwintek) bought Power Gear...
Proud father of a US Marine

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
The original design of the Schwintek could handle the full wall slides. When Lippert got a hold of the system and started mass production...combined with the speed of install from the manufacturers, the system went to ****. I have the Schwintek system on three slides. I do have one giving me fits, but the nice thing about it, it is easy for you or I to replace, the whole system is about 50 lbs...thought the rollers under the slide are undersized and the screws holing the system together are of low quality...

Our last trailer had the BAL system on it...once again, very light and you or I can fix it if needed. The only problem, they are maintenance intensive. Whether they are in or out, there is always a set of cables under tension, which need to be adjusted every 90ish days or so. It is good to carry a crimping tool and cable ends, as they tend to brake off... I had to replace a motor on a slide, it took myself and a buddy about 30 minutes....then another hour for adjustment.

The older systems I don't think are very easy for the consumer to repair themselves.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
$$$$.$$$.$$$.$$$.$$
second is weight.
third SPEED of assembly.

X2

And fix the issues as they come, so let the dealers have the problems.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
$$$$.$$$.$$$.$$$.$$
second is weight.
third SPEED of assembly.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes weight is a issue on the newer systems but yet you see them on even the full wall slides, what has happen to the RV engineers as of late, do they even test them before putting it on the market or just to save $$ and put them out for the new buyers to deal with.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Weight.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu