cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locked keys in truck

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
After several months of caring for my dying MIL, I was able to take my youngest daughter and both granddaughters out camping for the first time this summer.
We pulled into the campground about 8pm and I started setting up. My oldest granddaughter hopped in the truck and when I hollered for her to get out, she accidentially locked the doors with my keys in the ignition. Grandma was not a happy camper at that moment as my asthma inhaler was in the truck and the humidity causes attacks.
I called my husband at home (1.5 hrs away) and being the wonderful man he is, offered to head up (now its 9pm) with the spare fob. I said "just for S&G's press my unlock on the fob through the phone" (both of us being extremely skepitcal of everything on the Internet (Bon Jour)....Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, if it didn't work, the drivers door unlocked!!! My folks were on the lot next to us and I asked my dad three times, "Your positive the drivers door was locked" "Yes, both Taylor and I checked all the doors and the hatch, it was locked"
I took the keys out, locked the doors again and asked my husband to try again, it didn't work the second time but with the keys in my hand, I didn't care.
I hung the keys in my camper and the keyfob in my folks camper for the rest of the weekend.
51 REPLIES 51

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
My son was a toddler and acting up in the store, so I grabbed him (kicking and screaming) and hauled him out to the car. I beeped the doors open with the fob attached to my purse (with a carabiner), opened the front driver's door and threw in my purse so I had both hands free to deal with my toddler... I was so mad that I put too much force when throwing my purse and it flew on the passenger seat and actually bounced off onto the floor. I slammed the door shut with my hip and went to open the rear door to throw my kid into his car seat.... it had been an epic tantrum and I was about done with dealing with it in public.

You guessed it. The force of my purse bouncing on the seat hit the fob just right and had locked all my doors. And I never heard the click over the noise of a toddler tantrum.

I had to wait 2 hours for my uncle to bring the spare set LOL. About 5 minutes after we got locked out my kid exhausted himself and fell asleep for the whole thing. Thankfully we were at a store that had an outdoor lawn section so I sat rocking him on a lawn swing until help arrived ๐Ÿ™‚

All our vehicles got a Hide-A-Key after that experience.

Unfortunately each car is slightly different so trying to FIND the Hide-A-Key when you need it is a challenge...

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
I never get out of our vehicles without having the key in my hand.

chevman

I usually don't get out of the vehicle without leaving the keys in the ignition.

But, not always. I have a tool box in the bed of my pickup. What I often do is take the keys out of the ignition and drop them in the corner of the toolbox underneath a bunch of clothes that I keep in there for emergency's.

We have very little crime in this area. At home I live in the country. At the park someone digging around in the toolbox taking stuff is going to raise suspicion and they will get questioned by the other campers.

That is just how it is around here. I know it is not that way everywhere.

goat_rancher
Explorer
Explorer
We did that. I called Good Sam road service. It took about 45 minutes for the guy to get there and about 2 minutes to unlock the door.My wife was pretty upset that the keys were inside to begin with, but it is only a catastrophe if it can't be fixed.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I never get out of our vehicles without having the key in my hand.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
I know with my 2006 Ford, if I try to lock the doors with the keys in the ignition they will all lock but a few seconds later the drivers door will unlock. Maybe in the panic of seeing the doors lock you instantly tried the drivers door, then the others but while doing this the drivers door unlocked and was not noticed?
2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lost my truck keys for 2 years one time. I moved my truck so I could back the RV up to do some maintenance and cleaning. After returning the RV to its parking space, I COULD NOT find my truck keys. I had made several trips during that time, grocery store, hardware store, gas station, etc. I retraced all of those steps asking about lost keys. No Joy.

About 2 years later, I replaced all of the tires on my RV, including the spare in the rear basement. I had to clean out the rear basement so they could get the spare out.

Yep, the truck keys had been riding in the rear basement that whole time.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
for several years I helped design equipment for the test systems for phones and towers used for the two cell phone systems in use in the US today, GSM, (ATT etc.) and CDMA (verizon, sprint etc).

Both systems

a) operate on frequencies FAR away from the frequencies used for car remotes
b) both systems transmit digital encrypted digital signals that require decription keys for any meaniful data stream
c) CDMA signals look and are virtually background noise. Even very sophisticated test systems only see noise unless the transmitted and recieved signals have the correct digital key. It is probably the most sequre digital RF transmission system available in the world today.

d) for a car to recieve a signal in the frequency band it is tuned to recieve the cell phone signal would need to be mixed with another carrier frequency such that either the sum or difference of the two frequencies is in the remote carrier AND then the correct digital bit stream for the car reciever. And the key fob somehow would need to cause the audio signal recieved by the cell phone from the fob to be the RF digital bit stream from the remote.

So..... is it possible? Well, this is a case where only a "negative proof" is possible. Even though I can't see any way it would happen but can't prove it isn't possible. The only proof would be to see it happen (negative proof) to show it DID happen.

So.... IMHO don't expect this trick to get you out of a jam.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Kennedy64 wrote:
braindead0 wrote:
It is absolutely not possible to open car doors with a fob remote over a phone of any sort. The signal cannot be transmitted over a phone. This has been around and around the net in various forms, no reputable source has ever been able to duplicate.

There are many ways other ways to unlock vehicle doors remotely, mostly relying on in-car infotainment systems AFAIK.

Please explain to me then, how did my door unlock? Two adults and one teenager checked every door and hatch, everything was locked. I have a 2002 Yukon, I do not subscribe to On-Star. I have two sets of keys, mine, which were locked in the truck and my husbands that were with him 1.5 hrs away. Teenager does not have a set of keys since she does not have her license yet and no way of getting a set made without me. Granddaughters are 8 & 3. The only other explaination would be my recently deceased MIL unlocked the doors.

on my GM (2004 and 2015) vehicles if the key is in the ignition, the drivers door will NOT lock, either by the console or the remote. the other doors will lock but NOT the drivers door. so, maybe that is what happened, and in a panic with another door locked, the thought was that all doors were locked.

and we NEVER go on trips without DW and I both having key sets, and never leave a set in the car. Along with a spare key in the trailer and hidden on the vehicle.

I've used the onstar app to start the car and get the heat or AC running many a time while in a store shopping. will run for 10 minutes then shut off. doors are locked, and even if someone did get in, unless they put a valid key with correct chip code in the ignition within about 10 seconds, the vehicle will shut off and set the alarm.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My spare keys are in a realtor's box in my LP bay as well.. You need the magic number (Which is in my phone,, hidden) to get at the keys. I know where it's hidden.

Another item: Now as it happens I am a very good B&E Auto man, have managed to open many cars others could not... But Well.. I do not do that for a living.

But I have had a few I could not open.. one was a large, Chevy Pickup... So we checked with the local locksmiths and 80 bucks was just a tad pricey

So I took the owner to the local Chevy Dealer.. he handed over his Driver's license, His Registration (With the Vehicle Identification number) and a nice portrait of a dead president (President Jackson) and a short time later they handed him his license, registration two copies of a portrait of President George Washington, our first president, and a brand new key that fit perfectly.

Way cheaper than an 80 dollar locksmith.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman, i got one of them 2012 Fords and have set that alarm off more than once, but due to haveing my head in the clouds, did not know the sequence on how I did it.

i am gonna try that and see if the unlock button on the fob silences it.

Should be interesting :h

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the most foolish things I've seen them come up with is the keyless ignition that uses a fob instead of a key. As long as you have the fob on you you're good. However, if you start the car, and drop the fob or lay it down and drive off, you're screwed. Some cars will continue to run until you shut them off and then they won't restart because you don't have the fob. That can be really inconvenient if you misplaced the fob, or left it back down the highway 150 miles. Where, oh where is the "convenience" in any of that? Stoopid.

And the big ole Start button, I thought they did away with those back in the 40's. What goes around comes around I guess.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just watched a show that demonstrated on the new cars just how easy it is to hack into them accessing the brakes to stop it, the steering wheel to make them turn, shut off etc etc. And if you have the new full boat computer, internet,wifi keyless start etc package it's even easier to hack into. From their laptop! Scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

I was going to keep my Tahoe just to see if I could spin 200,000 miles on her. Now I think I am going to shoot for 300,000 so I don't have to buy a computer car that can be hacked as easy as a laptop. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Two things. First My truck won't lock with the key in the ignition, My car either,

second. I have Fords with the keyless entry. should you lock the key in the vehicle on the seat or whatever. You just enter the code, and the door unlocks.

real handy option to have

My 2004 Chevy pickup will let me lock the door with the key in the ignition but, not with the engine running.

I occasionally have to do this for a quick minute if I have the dog along and want to leave the AC on for him. So, I have a second key and I have to lock the door manually with the key.

On my brothers 2012 Ford pickup I was driving it once and I used the regular key to unlock the door. When I put the key in the ignition the stupid, stupid, useless alarm went off. A cop was near by and came running over. Thankfully, I didn't get busted. After explaining the situation to him I tried pushing the button for door unlock on the key fob and the alarm quit.

You can't even use the key to get into a vehicle anymore even if you want to. I think that sucks.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have witnessed someone with their computer turn the radio volume up and down, start the wipers , shut them off - blink lights etc on someone else's truck. Some amazing things can be done if you know how to do it. This may have been a fluke, strange things happen sometimes.

Oh - can you believe that going thru a divorce x happened to buy an answering machine with the same PIN # as mine for getting messages and he was listening to all of my and daughters messages. Company said it occasionally can happen. You never know - I wouldn't have though to try my PIN on someone else's messages to see if it worked. Devious minds.