cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for portable electric space heater for rv!

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 34’ class A motor home with its built in gas heater. running on propane gas. I’m looking for a good space heater to place on the floor, electric that I could place near me only when I’m awake and watching tv. Something compact, electric and capable of heating the area around us.
51 REPLIES 51

dedmiston
mr_andyj wrote:
WAY PAST TIME TO CLOSE THIS TOPIC.
You close good topics bc you disagree, but leave useless ones like this up?
The guy is asking about a store-bought space heater for goodness sake, CLOSE the topic!

News Flash: I don't sit at the keyboard all day long. :B

I just got home from an amazing week of camping and riding. Best camp ever.

For the record, I've disagreed with the majority from the git go. We were cold and used our LP Buddy Heaters all week and had practically zero deaths. I kept this running because my opinion isn't the only one. I agree though that we've wrung all the useful info out of this rag.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I bought a Mr Heater for my Boat three years ago. Never had a chance to use it yet.

:h

Maybe you should be thanking your lucky stars?

An "open flame" especially below deck on a boat is a huge invitation to disaster..

And you knew he wasn’t talking about a house boat how exactly?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
The guy is asking about a store-bought space heater for goodness sake, CLOSE the topic!

Amen to that !!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
DrewE,

Yes the autoformer causes more amps to be drawn--however the difference in power allows my RV to get to the point where the electric heaters cycle sooner. As I use multiple heaters of various wattage, and limit my demand post autoformer to 24 amps, I've not had a pedestal breaker flip for many years.

I should have put that information in my post so thanks for jogging my mind.

Here is a list of all my heating type devices:

4 heated carpets (one in the pass through storage)
1 500 watt heater in the waste tanks area controlled by a mechanical thermostat set at about 4 c (41 f)
1 1500 watt "ceramic" type unit operated on 750 watt setting
1 radiant heater 900 watts operated on a 450 watt setting (used for thawing storage doors on compartments
1 mattress pad 100 watts (only once side used so 50 watts)
1 heating pad 50 watts low, medium and high settings.
1 12 volt heating blanket about 72 watts
2 oil filled 1500 watt heaters operated on the 600 watt setting
1 1200 watt fan based heater with no thermostat operated on the low setting (possibly 600 watts).
1 magnetic block heater that can be used on the propane tank, or on the Yamaha generator.
1 60 watt light bulb in the outside fridge access controlled by a thermocube to prevent gelling of the coolant media
1 water heater 1400 watts
1 240 volt 100 watt light bulb kept beside the water pump powered by 110 volts
1 50 watt heating rod which runs beside the water lines
1 27 watt fan that replaces the return air grill for the furnace which pressurize the heating duct work, keeping the water lines from freezing
(the three items above are controlled by a mechanical thermostat that sits beside an outside wall)

In addition cooking is done with microwave 1541 watts (what were they thinking), an induction Nuwave hob 1330 watts, toaster 850 watts, coffee maker 300 watts, a grill with removable plates so it can be a waffle maker, open grill, or clam shell 1200 watts.

There is a bit of waste heat from the inverter.

My peak load when it is in the -30ties is 7000 watts, and the average demand is 129 KWH per day. I can do that because I have a 50 amp break out box, equipped with one leg 30 amp outlet, and the other leg 2 20 amp outlets. (yes, I know it is not balanced.) I use that to power 1 15 amp auxiliary shore power cord, 1 20 amp auxiliary shore power cord, and the OEM 30 amp shore power cord.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Elk_traveler wrote:
Well the solution just appeared from Mr. Heater a portable propane heater that utilizes the small 16 oz Coleman propane bottles. the heater is designed and certified to operate inside. s ideal for use during the evenings.

I would not leave it running while sleeping but otherwise it is a perfect choice. Simply replace the little propane bottle and keep going. I think the Mr. Heater just recently hit the market.

designed and certified and DANGEROUS.

They have been around for at least a dozen years.

There are through the wall vented propane heaters that use no power.

I apologize to the OP for going "off topic".

Elk Traveler, if it is the breaker in the RV that is flipping using an autoformer can improve things.

I don't load past 24 amps when there is a 30 amp circuit. I use a hybrid inverter/charger to do load support and take care of surges in power demand.

I could be wrong but I think the portable Mr. Heater (has not been around very long) The shop version or high btu has been around for years but they are not suitable for in home use. They emit too much carbon monoxide. In our home we use which uses electric heat we use a 30000 btu propane heater also designed for in house use with no emission of carbon monoxide. When using electric heaters 1500 watt (2) on a 30Amp input to your RV will always put the breakers to their limit because you most likely will have on TV, Refrig or some other applicance pushing the circuitry to the limit. The heaters if thermostatically controlled surges on and off up to perhaps 1700 watts. In this case running only one 1500 watt electric and the protable Mr. heater is ideal for an evening of relaxing, reading, TV, etc. Should not operate the Mr. heater while sleeping. During work years I was an electronic tech. As you know propane can always be very dangerous even the furnace mounted on an RV. Propane by itself can be deadly as a potential fire hazard but the carbon monoxide emitted from the burning is even more deadly as it is very silent that is why the heater should not be operated while asleep.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

Elk Traveler, if it is the breaker in the RV that is flipping using an autoformer can improve things.

Sagging voltage will cause a space heater (and indeed any resistance heater) to consume less current--and, of course, use less power and produce less heat. An autoformer would make the breaker more likely to trip, not less likely. It would only help reduce tripping in the extraordinary case where the line voltage is too high and it reduces it to a correct nominal value.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I bought a Mr Heater for my Boat three years ago. Never had a chance to use it yet.

An "open flame" especially below deck on a boat is a huge invitation to disaster..

There is a reason as to why even non cabin cruiser type boats have a "bilge purge" blower that you run BEFORE even starting an engine.. Build up of fuel flamible fumes below deck is real and lighting off a "Buddy heater or any other open flame device" below deck may be not such a good "friend" move.

Not to mention, I can't imagine sucking in burning propane fumes for any length of time would be all that good on your oxygen levels in your blood..

THANKS for the info.

If I use it I will have it in a well ventilated area. It's a 23' one level boat.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

There is a reason as to why even non cabin cruiser type boats have a "bilge purge" blower that you run BEFORE even starting an engine.. Build up of fuel flamible fumes below deck is real and lighting off a "Buddy heater or any other open flame device" below deck may be not such a good "friend" move.

Not to mention, I can't imagine sucking in burning propane fumes for any length of time would be all that good on your oxygen levels in your blood..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Elk_traveler wrote:
Well the solution just appeared from Mr. Heater a portable propane heater that utilizes the small 16 oz Coleman propane bottles. the heater is designed and certified to operate inside. s ideal for use during the evenings.

I would not leave it running while sleeping but otherwise it is a perfect choice. Simply replace the little propane bottle and keep going. I think the Mr. Heater just recently hit the market.

designed and certified and DANGEROUS.

They have been around for at least a dozen years.

There are through the wall vented propane heaters that use no power.

I apologize to the OP for going "off topic".

I don't load past 24 amps when there is a 30 amp circuit. I use a hybrid inverter/charger to do load support and take care of surges in power demand.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Delonghi a lot.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Elk_traveler wrote:
heaters but breaker is constantly tripping because of current overload. Well the solution just appeared from Mr. Heater a portable propane heater that utilizes the small 16 oz Coleman propane bottles. the heater is designed and certified to operate inside.

Burning fuel inside will result in added moisture and condensation, so watch for that.

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I found one after many yrs. looking for the ideal mini heater for just the waking hours and/or watching TV. We camp mostly in state park and during the winter operate a 1500 watt electric heater evenings. Have tried to run two 1500 watt heaters but breaker is constantly tripping because of current overload. Well the solution just appeared from Mr. Heater a portable propane heater that utilizes the small 16 oz Coleman propane bottles. the heater is designed and certified to operate inside. It's perfect it will run for nearly 6 hours on low and approx. 3 1/2 hrs on high. I operate it on low setting and along with the 1500 watt electric heater the camper is very warm even with temp in the 20 degree range. I do not run the camper propane furance because the it use requires refilling to often. This little heater from Mr. Heater is ideal for use during the evenings. I would not leave it running while sleeping but otherwise it is a perfect choice. Simply replace the little propane bottle and keep going. I think the Mr. Heater just recently hit the market. I purchased at Lowes but have seen it at Cabela/Bass Pro as well.