cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking single rvers

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
I am a recent widower, my d/w of 56 yrs went to the big campground above, I will dearly miss her.
She would not want me to give up rving, we were full timers.

My desires are to meet up with folks of the same, some singles that have the desire to continue to travel. Not much fun being the odd man at events arranged for couples.

Short story. If you are in this same predicament and still like the rv lifestyle and would like to meet up someplace on the road just for casual conversation that would be great. I know there are clubs that cater to singles but I like my own agenda, may visit one of those in the future, who knows.
I have been wintering in Florida for the past several yrs but think I would like to move on to new adventures. Surprise destinations.
Hope I'm not alone in my situation. Let me hear from someone with a plan.
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.
12 REPLIES 12

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a full timer and I'm not on the road right now. Just planning my next trip, probably to the west coast of Florida. I'm planning on heading south in the spring when everybody else is headed north.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Here's another option. I'm a single RVer, but I've never been married. Since you say that you're not looking for another relationship, here's what I do. When I'm in a CG, I set up a couple of chairs outside, and when people walk by, I say "Hi" followed by "Have a seat" and "Where are you from?". I usually keep a small cooler next to me with some soft drinks and beer. Some aren't interested, but I've had some great times jawing with whoever sits down, either married or not. After all, we have a built in conversation starter. "Where's home?" "Where have you been?" "What's your favorite place?"
I've found that most campers are the friendliest bunch of strangers I've ever met.

sounds good, what park and lot# are you on..

BTW, I didn't say I was not interested in a relationship, I just don't want to start off with that expectation. Who knows what will happen down the road of life. I still have red blood cells.
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another option. I'm a single RVer, but I've never been married. Since you say that you're not looking for another relationship, here's what I do. When I'm in a CG, I set up a couple of chairs outside, and when people walk by, I say "Hi" followed by "Have a seat" and "Where are you from?". I usually keep a small cooler next to me with some soft drinks and beer. Some aren't interested, but I've had some great times jawing with whoever sits down, either married or not. After all, we have a built in conversation starter. "Where's home?" "Where have you been?" "What's your favorite place?"
I've found that most campers are the friendliest bunch of strangers I've ever met.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
The place in Bushnell is Florilow Oaks and they at florilow.com. I've driven by it many times and it looks nice. Plus, they are in a nice quiet setting, unless occasional trains bother you.

They are close by my dentist, who is awesome if anyone needs dental work.

Sorry for your loss.
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas and possible choices,
I have checked in on the LOws and the Solo's and think they are great, and I will possible visit one or more of their camp-outs. I have the schedule for the SELOW's for this year.
I like the way they do their Caravans, you can join up or drop out at your discretion. I think they are going to Nova Scotia this summer. I made that trip a few years ago, don't really want to do it again.
My idea of traveling is to have Friends, maybe 3/5 or 6 or so and travel one or two days at the time. No real plans, just decide as you go type of travel, always a surprise, make plans around the campfire, course you can go as far as you want and stop anytime you want.

Back in my younger days, before RVing, a group of 3, 4, sometime 5 men would take out on a Saturday and drive not knowing where we were heading, we may go 300mi, sometime not make it back the same day, just call the women and tell them where we were and when we would be back. According to whom was driving is where you would head out., usually looking yard sales, old cars, etc.

No harm, No foul for all the remarks, I will find my own way to where it is that I want to go, who knows, I have wheels and no attachments., of course except for Grand Kids., mostly grown now.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
The OP might also want to check out WINs; they're an active bunch!

https://rvsingles.org/

As a solo traveler, I certainly understand wanting to follow one's own agenda, but if "social contact" (conversation, companionship) is a primary goal, I believe that it's easier to meet people in a more "structured" environment, e.g., in a resident RV park (this may not apply to the OP) or a club. Also check out RV brand-specific groups/clubs; these groups can be great ways to meet lots of people, not necessarily single, of course, but interesting and fun nonetheless.

Good luck to the OP.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My condolences on your loss...

You might find the "Loners on Wheels" (LoW) group beneficial. The Escapees "SOLOS" BOF (Birds Of a Feather) group could be helpful as well.

These are the 2 best solo groups. I think GS has one also. Yes you can join their club/membership to get info on upcoming events but you are not locked into their club activities.

They have rallies and get together's all over and you can just go to the destination CG and hang out. No one makes you join in all the activities. They also plan caravans for a more exciting RV trip.

They majority of the members are RV'ers that have lost their partners so you will have something in common and you will find you will have a good time just talking to everyone.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
My friend, had belonged to LoW - Loners on Wheels. She really enjoyed camping with them. They have a place in Bushnell FL where a group of them winter. They also have a Ranch or something out in Deming NM. I think they have regional chapters who have local campouts once a month.

It worked out well for her. When she first retired (Nov) and went full time, she went to the Ranch in Deming, NM. Was not long and she had a massive heart attack and had by-pass surgery. The folks there at the Ranch were wonderful with helping her during her recovery. Me being in PA, with a friend in NM - well, it lets you feel pretty helpless as far as helping the friend.

Before she went full time, she met a lady friend who lived in this general area. They used to go to some campouts and on some trips. They traveled together -followed each other and had walkie talkies. I just thought it was safer for both of them, to be in a pair while on the road.

With belonging to that group, she really had friends just about anywhere who would look out after each other, if someone got in a pinch.

She particularly liked this group as they didn't allow any hanky panky. Not saying that folks didn't meet and eventually become a couple. But the basic theory behind the group was a place where single people could enjoy companionship, and like minded activities - conversation, pot luck meals, etc.... without being put in a position where they felt like the fifth wheel - the only single amongst mostly couples.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RVillage. The concept is to make it easy for members to find other RVers who share their interests. We've been members for awhile but haven't actually met any other members yet. A quick search brought up eleven different singles groups - some are clubs, some not.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for your loss.

Since you mention not wanting to join a club at this time, I'd suggest just being friendly and open when you travel. Stop for coffee at local diners or a donut shop in the mornings - these are often perfect places to join into some great conversations with strangers. Bring your hobbies outdoors - hobbies are great for opening the conversation lines. If you see someone with a hobby, stop and ask them about it. Fly a kite, walk a dog, take photos of your surroundings (don't take photos of kids or playgrounds - folks get weird about that regardless of whether you're a man or a woman), etc.

The main thing is JUST DO IT. I'm not going to say you'll get over the loneliness, but the feelings behind it will change into something you can handle. As you go, you'll find what works best for you and what doesn't. If you find the nights are the hardest time, get a telescope and star gaze. There will be others who will see you out there and stop to ask questions.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences on your loss...

You might find the "Loners on Wheels" (LoW) group beneficial. The Escapees "SOLOS" BOF (Birds Of a Feather) group could be helpful as well.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your lost. Hopefully you find some others to talk too and to share time with and make friends. Good luck.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!