cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loose tire

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
We were coming home on Monday 4/14, from a Florida trip and were traveling north on a frontage road in Lumberton, NC getting ready to enter a campground for an over-nite stop when a tire from a truck going south on I 95 came loose and bounced over a five foot fence and crashed into the front of our motorhome. Lots of plastic damage and it looks like the trans. cooler and A/C condenser cool are bent but not leaking. Thank God it was just a tire and not mounted to the wheel, it would have been much worse.
13 REPLIES 13

xthread
Explorer
Explorer
If the tire was a retread, and you have it, it should have numbers embedded on it. It may be traceable . Bill

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks (and tractors with trailers) throw treads regularly - an entire tire is a bit unusual, and "stuff" does happen. (See part 2, below).

Recaps are standard for the tandem axles and for the trailers.
(Feds require *new* steer tires)
It's possible the driver didn't know he lost the tire - think of the threads on the 5th forum where somebody gets notified by another driver he has a blown tire on his trlr.

Part 2 - the "stuff" that happens.....
Busy 405 freeway in So CA.
Car traveling N/bound loses a wheel and tire which jumps the divider, misses a couple of cars - then hits a S/Bound car in the windshield. Fortunately only minor injuries to the occupants.

We are on-scene for the injuries - can see the N/bound car on the other side of the road about a 1/4 mile away.......but scratching our heads as to where the tire & wheel went..:h
(The car that was hit was in the fast lane)

Then one of the guys points.....*UP* !!

Tire and wheel are lodged in an overhead freeway sign about 300' further down the road!..:W

~

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
We farm near the highway and found a truck rim and tire waaayyy out into the field one time. They can fly/bounce/roll a long ways.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 18 months ago, while driving 60mph on I-40 in TX, a tire and wheel came off an 18 wheeler headed the other way on the other side of the interstate and crossed the interstate about 50 yards in front of me. Fortunately, it hit no one and just crossed into an open field on the other side.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jules6 wrote:
I did not see it coming as I was turning into the campground drive way. My wife saw it as it was bouncing over the fence but really there was no time to react. There was no way to get a license number. The truck was on the interstate going south and I was on a frontage road going north.

I hope you contacted the highway patrol, they may know who it was.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gifco147
Explorer
Explorer
A truck did that to me once in a heavy rain storm... my 1986 Toyota 4WD Pick Up Truck was totaled that night. I walked away without a scratch. Five cars were damaged that night, the driver stopped, saw what happened, and drove away. No one got his license number. Glad nobody was hurt.

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
I did not see it coming as I was turning into the campground drive way. My wife saw it as it was bouncing over the fence but really there was no time to react. There was no way to get a license number. The truck was on the interstate going south and I was on a frontage road going north.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, glad no one was hurt, change underwear time for sure.

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Get a license number?
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Ouch! Glad nobody was injured. "Stuff," even plastic stuff, can be replaced.

Next time, DUCK!

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Just think if the truck was attached ouch

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are okay. 'Stuff' can be replaced.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
How scary. Did you see it coming?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)