cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP shut off at high altitude

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend that pulled his RV through the mountains to CA this past summer and said when he got up in the higher elevations his frig shut down due to LP not lighting. Read something in his owners manual about it doing this.
Is this a common issue when driving through the mountains or is there a remedy or solution to keep frig going?
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
18 REPLIES 18

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
I had this problem with my fridge this summer in my new trailer. Turns out the igniter was not set to spec and was over twice the distance it was supposed to be from the gas flow. Frig lit fine around 5000 feet but get it around 8000 and it would light and die or not light at all. Once fixed it works just fine. Water heater had the same problem, it would light right up the first time and not light again. So much for a good dealer inspection on a new rig.

Hi. Did you fix the piezo yourself? If so, how'd you get the spec and do it?

Thanks
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot answer the problem but I suspect it can be solved by an expert. We regularly camp over 10,000 feet on a few winter weekends each year on Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado for snowmobiling. We have never had a problem at that elevation with Propane.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
I had this problem with my fridge this summer in my new trailer. Turns out the igniter was not set to spec and was over twice the distance it was supposed to be from the gas flow. Frig lit fine around 5000 feet but get it around 8000 and it would light and die or not light at all. Once fixed it works just fine. Water heater had the same problem, it would light right up the first time and not light again. So much for a good dealer inspection on a new rig.

I'll have him check that and see if that could be the issue.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The LP system could have reduced output at higher elevation but shut down?
Try to get hold of the manual and see what it says. Only thing I can think of would be the regulator. It is possible that the OPD valve is causing issues.
What kind of rig does he have?

He read the book after arriving in CA to see what was going on and the book even mentioned it could shut LP off at higher altitudes.
2015 Outback TT.
2018 Raptor 428SP

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping above 9k in Colorado each summer for years and never had an issue. I sometimes have trouble lighting a burner with piezo if the furnace and oven are on. But fridge has never been a problem. Might your LP pressure need to be checked?

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our TT in CO Springs back in May at an elevation of 6000ish. During the walkthrough the fridge lit fairly easy. Brought it home where our elevation is 9100ish and went to light the fridge. It took a bit longer to light but eventually got it lit and headed out the next day to the western slope going over Monarch Pass which is over 11000 feet and camped at 9500 feet with no problems.

Maybe ours came equipped for high altitude? I don't know. Wonder if I'll have problems if I ever bring it down to lower elevations.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We camped up to 10,000' elevation with a Dometic frig and it always ran.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ava wrote:
Unless you are driving for more than 5 or 6 hours the fridge will stay cold without being turned on.
I don't run mine when driving because we usually don't go more than about 3 to 4 hours at a time. The fridge is always still cold when we stop. That's just my routine.

What are you basing this on?

Actual temp measurements?
Items 'feel' cold?
Freezer stuff still frozen?

Measure temps with a thermometer that will show/record highest temp reached and you will be surprised by actual temp reached in very short time in 'food section' of a perfectly closed/unopened rv fridge.

They just do not have the thick wall, high insulation factor....are exposed to ambient temps via outside compartment/drip tray drain hose and inside temp of RV.

Food spoilage (bacteria growth) when temps go above 40*F.

OP.......
Propane failing to ignite at higher altitudes is due to the thinner air. Air/fuel ratio becomes 'fuel rich' and is harder to ignite.
Neither Norcold, Dometic or Atwood have a 'high altitude kit' Suburban does have one for their water heaters (different size orifice *smaller* which has to be changed going above/coming below 5500')

You can try:
Removing lower vent/access panel when stationary
ID which size orifice you have and try one size smaller (swapping back/forth)

Provided you have already checked that spark gap is correct and in position, Checked that burner is clear propane flows freely
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are driving for more than 5 or 6 hours the fridge will stay cold without being turned on.
I don't run mine when driving because we usually don't go more than about 3 to 4 hours at a time. The fridge is always still cold when we stop. That's just my routine.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live at 6200ft, never had a problem with propane. Works fine and have camped at over 10,500ft.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped at 9,300 ft in Co and NEVER had a problem with my LP
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Some are just touchy- Norcold has this to say about it
Norcold wrote:
Altitudes higher that 5500 feet above sea level may cause reduced cooling performance and may cause burner outages. Norcold recommends you operate the unit on AC when altitudes are higher than 5500 feet above seal level.

5500 feet? Really? All the best alpine campgrounds have electric hookups 🙂
-- Chris Bryant

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The LP system could have reduced output at higher elevation but shut down?
Try to get hold of the manual and see what it says. Only thing I can think of would be the regulator. It is possible that the OPD valve is causing issues.
What kind of rig does he have?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker