Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
14 REPLIES 14

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

It doesn't say that, it says he took over from the founder, and changed the name.

Maybe I read through it too fast then. Even so, I was buying stuff from Camping World long before Marcus bought it, so the name hasn't changed either.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's not too hard to teach a worker how to pick fruit. But, it's almost impossible to teach a worker to be as knowledgable about RV,s as you and I.
Why would anybody want to learn RV's to go work at Campiing World anyway?
IMO Lemonis is doing good at hiring compromise employees. If somebody can do better, they should call him.

Ask Lowe's how they do it. Most Lowe's employees are knowledgeable in their department, and will find you the answer if you ask about something out of their line of expertesse.
Really? Not in my experience. Employees at Lowes run from me when the sense a question coming. As far as CW goes, Marcus has a team of people on a public forum including himself that help people with their CW issues. Not sure what other corporation does this if any. All business have their share of sub par employees.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's not too hard to teach a worker how to pick fruit. But, it's almost impossible to teach a worker to be as knowledgable about RV,s as you and I.
IMO Lemonis is doing good at hiring compromise employees. If somebody can do better, they should call him.

Ask Lowe's how they do it. Most Lowe's employees are knowledgeable in their department, and will find you the answer if you ask about something out of their line of expertesse.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Campfire Time wrote:
Interesting. But the article was inaccurate in that it inferred that Marcus founded Camping World. Even CW's website doesn't suggest that.

It doesn't say that, it says he took over from the founder, and changed the name.

We enjoy the show, and he explains how he fixes the businesses as well. Of course, infusion of capital will fix most failing businesses, that's always a part of the action - unless you get some idiot characters that will fail a business no matter what he does ... and he shows us that too.

He explains some pretty creative methods to 'become the boss too'. Employees in small business almost always CARE about the jobs. And, will almost always step up to the plate if given some incentive. Lots of illustrations here about how important employees are in the small business model too.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. But the article was inaccurate in that it inferred that Marcus founded Camping World. Even CW's website doesn't suggest that.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to work at a Camping World, even if it was selling campers. But it would need to be the way most of us want it to be. Being honest, up front, and not just getting someone to sign on the dotted line. It might hurts sells to start with but wouldn't the long term reputation pay off in the end?

But what do I know? I'm just a common man.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
He's definitely a great businessman, but he hasn't solved the most important issue that the majority of business suffers from.....getting your employee to give a c**p.

When you look at Camping World RV sales, there are lots all over the country. How does one person manage those effectively. You can't, so you have a bunch of stores full of people that have no investment in the company.

I truly believe that Marcus went around the country to every Walmart and stole each stores "greeter" so he could develop the Camping World workforce he now has. That really is my perception of the employees at Camping World -- they know nothing, but they try to make you feel welcome.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the part where one of his old classmates asked for his email address and Marcus basically told him to kiss his unowhat.

Hats off to the man.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
He's definitely a great businessman, but he hasn't solved the most important issue that the majority of business suffers from.....getting your employee to give a c**p.

When you look at Camping World RV sales, there are lots all over the country. How does one person manage those effectively. You can't, so you have a bunch of stores full of people that have no investment in the company.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
So enlightening! Thanks for posting.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
By every measure of business he has been wildly successful
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article, he definitely is a driven man.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Very Interesting and it explains a lot about Camping World.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006