cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memorial Weekend Ruined

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Refugio State Park hours before the spill and there were many campsites that were set up or were setting up for the Big Weekend.

Refugio Oil Spill
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
38 REPLIES 38

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
The weekend plans of a bunch of RVers is insignificant compared to the severity of the impact on the environment.

x 2.

I agree but that doesn't mean we cant show some compassion and understanding of their situation does it?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
This is bold misinterpretation. They weren't protesting oil. Oil is clearly a necessity. Nobody claims oil is evil. Just those who ONLY seek to profit from it and act with impunity when it destroys lives.

If this is a misinterpretation, please feel free to explain what the protest was about. Seems there are many reports available that claim this protest was about oil exploration in the arctic. I'm not understanding the misinterpretation part.

However, I'm more laughing at the hypocrisy of people and their "topic of the moment" approach to issues.
I love me some land yachting

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Again, if you think California is so awful at environmental issues, then you should have stuck around and tried to make a difference. The truth of the matter is that California is no better or worse than any other state - they all have areas where they do well and areas where they mess up.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
As a Californian, I take issue with that statement. There are MANY environmentalists in California and to suggest that the only "real" ones left is extremely insulting. Talk about the "I got mine" attitude - how about the suggestion that true environmentalists would just walk away from California and leave it to be destroyed. Perhaps those that walked out are the ones who weren't "real" and didn't care enough to stick around and work to make it better.

Work to make it better? If half of the things found to possibly cause cancer in California really did, the labels wouldn't be the laughing stock of the rest of the country. Hetch Hetchy has been destroying SF Bay for 50 years and nobody in the central valley or southern California cares.

EDIT There are no free flowing rivers in California and even with all that diversion and distruction of natural habitat, the state can't sustain it's current lifestyle. What does the future hold? If they survive the current drought, it will be soon forgoten. No lesson learned.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
This certainly will ruin Memorial Weekend for a lot of people and not just campers.

I watched more clips on the network news tonight. Over 100,000 gallons of oil leaked by a company that already had 175 violations before this incident. What an ugly mess of damaged beach and dead wildlife.

Well, at least the state of CA is trying to protect me from those extension cords that cause cancer. If they had some spare time they could address those 175 violations!
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a Californian, I take issue with that statement. There are MANY environmentalists in California and to suggest that the only "real" ones left is extremely insulting. Talk about the "I got mine" attitude - how about the suggestion that true environmentalists would just walk away from California and leave it to be destroyed. Perhaps those that walked out are the ones who weren't "real" and didn't care enough to stick around and work to make it better.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
bgum wrote:

Travelyn that was a cheap shot.

But the reality of life in the US, in 2015.

So if I came over and accidentally spray painted your house would you be outraged or just say it is reality in 2015? I am guessing many would threaten me with a gun for destroying their property. As a Californian who pays for and uses (and just used this beach last weekend) I am outraged that someone destroyed my property and the animals within it for some time to come.

I find it interesting that more people were outraged by the RV'ers lost their weekend comment than by the earth will heal itself no big deal comments.

Here is a better example of irony. Santa Barbara is in the process of opening water desalination plants to ease the record breaking drought it is currently in. Guess where that desalinated water was going to come from? This is a prime example of how we as humans disallow the earth to heal itself as it once did.

Travelyn was suggesting that EVERYONE on this furum could claim damages (no matter where we reside or camp).. That was the "cheap shot". I lived on Monterey Bay (central coast) for over 20 years. I lived in Silicon Valley in 1956. I know what people are doing and have done to that state. That is part of the reason that I am no longer there. The wonderful people of SB are offended by the oil industry but think nothing of diverting millions of gallons of water from the Sacramento River and SF Bay eco-system, so that they can water their lawns and wash their BMWs. The only true environmentalists in California, moved to Oregon years ago. The people there today are of the "I got mine and don't you mess with it mentality" and are using the environmentalist movement to meet their goals.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

Should be about time for another anti-oil protest by those showing up in their petroleum produced kayaks. IRONY is watching Seattle enviros protest oilโ€ฆ

They came in autoยญmoยญbiles fueled by oil, wearยญing clothยญing made from oil, to protest oil, in kayaks made from oil. Then they tweeted their phoยญtos on phones made from oil and drove home.

Share the irony.

This is bold misinterpretation. They weren't protesting oil. Oil is clearly a necessity. Nobody claims oil is evil. Just those who ONLY seek to profit from it and act with impunity when it destroys lives.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
Here is a better example of irony. Santa Barbara is in the process of opening water desalination plants to ease the record breaking drought it is currently in. Guess where that desalinated water was going to come from? This is a prime example of how we as humans disallow the earth to heal itself as it once did.

And that brings concerns as the process will have its own damaging effect on the ocean. Let's face it, everything we do affects the earth - who knows if this oil spill is less disastrous than the desalination plants will be.

I agree. I find it "ironic" that we can't destroy the ocean with desalination plants now because we destroyed it with an oil spill. ๐Ÿ˜‰

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jbrowland wrote:

And that brings concerns as the process will have its own damaging effect on the ocean. Let's face it, everything we do affects the earth - who knows if this oil spill is less disastrous than the desalination plants will be.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
bgum wrote:

So if I came over and accidentally spray painted your house would you be outraged or just say it is reality in 2015? I am guessing many would threaten me with a gun for destroying their property. As a Californian who pays for and uses (and just used this beach last weekend) I am outraged that someone destroyed my property and the animals within it for some time to come.

I find it interesting that more people were outraged by the RV'ers lost their weekend comment than by the earth will heal itself no big deal comments.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The two (Refugio and BP) oil spills can hardly be compared. Refugio 21,000 Gallons vs BP spill of 200 MILLION gallons. EXXon Valdez was 11 million gallons. Yes there was a lot of law suits and some were false claims and the same was true in Alaska and will be true in California. Fact of life America is burdened by a bunch of bums and crooks. There could have been a lot more legal claims but they were not filed. Many people were put out of business or hurt so much that they will never make up for the loss. Millions of animals and sea creatures were killed or sickned. The damage continues. We need the oil so the price is paid.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The earth does not heal from oil spills it hides oil spills. I know this because my father drilled over 100 wells as a field supertendant for an oil company. I grew up in an oil field and worked there to fund my college education. We need oil to live. It is a shame this happened. We just need to clean it up the best we can.

Exactly.

Doesn't make it right and shouldn't be promoted on this forum. If I remember correctly, any talk of legal action is not permitted.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote: