cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memorial Weekend Ruined

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Refugio State Park hours before the spill and there were many campsites that were set up or were setting up for the Big Weekend.

Refugio Oil Spill
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
38 REPLIES 38

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The earth does not heal from oil spills it hides oil spills. I know this because my father drilled over 100 wells as a field supertendant for an oil company. I grew up in an oil field and worked there to fund my college education. We need oil to live. It is a shame this happened. We just need to clean it up the best we can.

Travelyn that was a cheap shot.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The good thing these days is that the effort is made to clean up the spills.

Growing up in Bermuda during the later 50s & 60s tar on the shore & beaches was everywhere. Where did it come from? During WW2 hundreds of ships were sunk in the Atlantic. No effort was made to clean up the spilled bunker oil. Nothing could be done about leaking ships sunk in the deep ocean. Cleanup is a very low priority during a time of war.

Over 70 years later nature has all but finished the cleanup job. Very few small areas of tar covered rocks can be found.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Meanwhile the vast amount of natural gas seepage in the Santa Barbara Channel continues:

These natural seeps have leaked gas and oil through cracks below the ocean surface for the past thousands of years.

Santa Barbara Channelโ€™s Natural Oil Seeps

If you've ever been on a boat there, you would know the seepage is all over the place. I'm not trying to lessen the importance and horrible situation of this current major oil leak... but the amount of sensationalism surrounding the oil spill and how that area will be ruined for decades is also appalling.

Should be about time for another anti-oil protest by those showing up in their petroleum produced kayaks. IRONY is watching Seattle enviros protest oilโ€ฆ

They came in autoยญmoยญbiles fueled by oil, wearยญing clothยญing made from oil, to protest oil, in kayaks made from oil. Then they tweeted their phoยญtos on phones made from oil and drove home.

Share the irony.

I love me some land yachting

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
using the same standards as the BP oil spill in the gulf, everyone within a hundred miles of the coast, 300 miles north south will have cause for a money claim. The campground has been reserved for lawyers and accountants. Anyone with a post on this blog can happily point to intent to use that park for claim backup documentation

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I just left Refugio State Park hours before the spill and there were many campsites that were set up or were setting up for the Big Weekend.

Refugio Oil Spill

We saw that on the news and also like to go to Refugio and El Capitan next door. We're going to Jalama beach in a week (north of Refugio) and hope we don't run into that stuff.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it's disappointing and frustrating but relatively speaking, quite minor. If it happened to me, I'd try to find another place or just plan day trips for the weekend.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
The earth has amazing recuperative powers. In time, with some effort everything will be restored.

I saw that on our Glacier Boat Tour of Prince William Sound. What Man didn't clean up, Mother Nature has. I know if you turn over a rock, there might be oil goop underneath, but the wildlife has recovered. Magnificently.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
I am sorry, there is risk of serious & very expensive enviromental damage & you are worried about YOUR weekend!!! Go & help clean it up.

Where I live we don't worry too much about oil spills, except from ships, but we do get hurricanes.

When that happens almost every able bodied person gets out & helps to clean up roads to make them passable again.

State campsites can't be occupied - period.

No volunteers. Verboten Veebyes & H2O Bug...:R

However, someone could volunteer to one of the animal rescue outfits
removing oil from birds, etc.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad I filled the X last weekend!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to think the area affected will be cleaned up. While any spill is bad this one is far smaller than most. Anyone remember Avila Beach where most of the town had to be torn down, dug up and rebuilt? Pipeline had been leaking for years before being discovered.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sorry, there is risk of serious & very expensive enviromental damage & you are worried about YOUR weekend!!! Go & help clean it up.

Where I live we don't worry too much about oil spills, except from ships, but we do get hurricanes.

When that happens almost every able bodied person gets out & helps to clean up roads to make them passable again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The earth has amazing recuperative powers. In time, with some effort everything will be restored.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I saw it on the evening network news and it was really UGLY! By ugly, I mean the damage to the environment and wildlife. What had been a beautifull white beach turned black with oil. Seems the spill was much larger than the first reports.

SAD, verry sad. :M
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Being disappointed is a normal thing, but what if you had gone and the spill happened while you were there camping ? That would have really been a bummer as you would have had to pack up and leave during your trip.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
While I agree that the significance of the impact on the environment is far greater than the impact on RVers, I don't think that means that RVers don't have any right to be disappointed that their holiday plans have been affected. The truth is, these oil spills have far reaching affects in many different ways - every impact should be vocalized if just to keep it in the public eye.

I agree.