cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military/DoD Are you active duty, retired or a veteran?

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Most other RV forums have a specific section for military.

Pearl Harbor day seems like a good time to see who out here has a military background.

So, if you please, reply with your branch and current status:

For myself, I'm a Navy veteran and retired Navy DoD

Hubby is retired Navy and retired Navy DoD

Together we have over 70 years of military service.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one
178 REPLIES 178

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdog wrote:
I am just asking because I have seen this happen at the place I worked and now am retired. When the place was closing. The vets stayed with them selves and looked down on non vets as skum. They did not want to have anything to do with us. At all gatherings they sat in a different area. This has left a bad feeling for me since I have always had alot respect for vets and more so for the wounded vets.

Place was closing......might have had something to do with the 'banding together'
Just chock it up to a unusual circumstance and not hold it as a benchmark of other veterans.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Keith you subscribed to the thread you unsubscribe yourself. go to My Forums link at the top and then you will see what you are subscribed to and to the far right will be delete.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
USAF, 21 years, 3 months, 16 days.

Most of it was fun. Lots of good memories.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

JoeyM
Explorer
Explorer
Veteran: USN. - 1965-1971. Westpac 1968.

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
Unsubscribe

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me, those were the exception, not the rule. I feel sorry for Vets that act like that, as they must really be lonely. Around here, it is just the opposite, many times you will never know the person you are talking to is a Vet, as they don't advertise it and are the general population, not a clique. Sorry you had a bad experience with some lonely, lost Vets......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
I am just asking because I have seen this happen at the place I worked and now am retired. When the place was closing. The vets stayed with them selves and looked down on non vets as skum. They did not want to have anything to do with us. At all gatherings they sat in a different area. This has left a bad feeling for me since I have always had alot respect for vets and more so for the wounded vets.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
Why is it that Veterens and Military people have the need to separate them selves into groups away from those that have no military service?

Like any group of people, we enjoy talking with those who have had a common experience.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread - there are often health, benefits and such issues which relate only to vets and retirees.

Yes, there are some folks who 'never left' and live near bases, shop on base, seek their medical care on base, etc.

But most of us got the travel bug early when we got to travel the globe. So an RV is a very natural choice to see the great country many of us didn't get to see when we were young.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Army National Guard 1997-present, Infantry. OIF Veteran.
Brian

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
jdog wrote:
Why is it that Veterens and Military people have the need to separate them selves into groups away from those that have no military service?

Your comment puzzles me. :h

As a group I don't see veterans separating themselves from those who did not serve. Most veterans I have known don't advertise their service, quite the opposite. This thread asked that we document our service, which was a privilege and no small measure of sacrifice, that most of us are justifiably proud of.

One of the best definitions of a veterans is...

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life."

You're welcome. :C
Well said Desert Captain. Army 1966 - 1995 Benning School for Boys(Basic and Jump), Ft. Rucker, Aberdeen Proving Ground OCS, Ft.Gordon USASESS,RVN 1969, 82nd Abn 72-74, ( 8 years active 66-74 retired from USAR in 95)-

To jdog I say; We don't separate ourselves, however sometimes others separate us......I suggest that you take Jack Nicholson's advice .....and just say thank you.

To all those who dared to serve, draftee or volunteer - THANK YOU!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdog wrote:

Your comment puzzles me. :h

As a group I don't see veterans separating themselves from those who did not serve. Most veterans I have known don't advertise their service, quite the opposite. This thread asked that we document our service, which was a privilege and no small measure of sacrifice, that most of us are justifiably proud of.

One of the best definitions of a veterans is...

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life."

You're welcome. :C

jdog
Explorer
Explorer

waroland
Explorer
Explorer
Air Force 1961-1968 SS E7 Aircraft Electronics
2002 Fleetwood Revolution
2006 Honda CR-V toad

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
Retired US Army Aviator 1960-1990
aviator