Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on youtube youtube Thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
For starters, without before and after performance data (inside & outside temps) this mod is meaningless.

Forget trying that mod and just get one of these little CoolAir units that I came across yesterday!

- Exorbitant electricity bills and maintenance costs are over.
- All you need to do is to plug into an electrical socket or any USB port within your grasp.
- developed by two German engineers who got tired of persevering through punishingly hot summers
- comes in 7 mood lights that work well with the cool, clean air and the relaxing hum of its fan
- all you need to pay for is $89 โ€“ an absolute steal considering all that it can do for you!
- and the kind folks at CoolAir are offering an amazing 50% discount AND absolutely Free shipping, for a limited time only

"Is it worth your hard-earned money? Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times YES." Order yours today... :R

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
So a dollar store clip on fan, and the blower in my air conditioner are the same?

He's not advocating replacing with or adding an additional Dollar Store fan for better performance. He's suggesting removing the molded ribs on the on the AC shroud and replacing it with the wire mesh to improve the air flow of the AC fan. He only used the dollar Store fan for demonstration purposes.

Apparently you didn't really watch the video.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
My brand new AtWood Air Command that was designed for use in Australia has a open back. Seems they may know a thing or two.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't watch the whole video, but in theory, some Dometic engineer designed that cover so it's the most efficient design. Not saying that's what really happened, but if you increase the airflow too much, the cooling goes down. If the AC was icing up before he cut the grilles, he's got an issue that needs to be corrected first.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

MrWizard
i think the difference will be the A/C unit laboring a less in triple digit heat
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It certainly won't hurt. Every little thing helps.

I don't know that it would help enough so you could notice the difference in temperatures inside the camper. But, it is cheap and easy to do.

I would try it but, I'm a caveman.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I would like, anyone try this

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I understand increasing air flow, but I would like to see what it does to the inside of the RV. For example, show what the temp is before and after the mod. Just implying the A/C should work better, doesn't mean it actually will. He didn't even say he tested it out on the RV. Would like to hear from someone who tried and used this mod.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 92 Coleman AC is setup pretty much like that - the hood is open in the rear exposing the entire condenser coil. The only slitted vents are on the sides.
Kevin

MrWizard
I must have missed it
I didn't see or hear him mention / compare $$ store fans to A/C units

i did see him use a fan to show the difference in air flow
thru the grill work, and the oem slotted plastic rear of the cover

my A/C are old. they have NO slotted rear to block air flow
the back is wide open
and subject to damage if backing up under tree limbs

another case oF MFG trying to fix 'operator error' and end up impeding the operation of the machine/device
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I was referring to the air flow for the ac, nothing to do with the fridge part of the video.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
He's comparing apples to oranges with the dollar store fan. it isn't designed to push air through a heat exchanger, or the louvers in the A/C shroud.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MrWizard
Gordon I know that comment, is suppose to be sarcasm
But it makes no sense
The first part of that video is about creating more air flow, by opening up the rear of the A/C,

The second part is making the fridge work using solid state Peltier cooling units, to have a fridge in his shop
Those Peltier devices are not cheap, although less expensive than a new fridge

No dollar store clip on fans for cooling, is Mention anywhere in the video

I don't see any connection to you comment
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
So a dollar store clip on fan, and the blower in my air conditioner are the same?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed