cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Most durable cover against snow shovel damage

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I don't usually shovel snow off my covered trailer but this year with 2.5 feet up there, the springs visibly flat from all that weight, and more snow and rain forecast I decided to.

I got most of the snow off but despite my careful efforts I managed to put several tears in the cover using my plastic show shovel. It's so hard because with so much snow it is hard to find the structures like AC and vents where the fabric is most vulnerable.

I may repair but it's several years old so maybe time to replace. I don't know which fabric I have now but it's ADCO, gray, with a top layer that feels slightly "fuzzy" and has a pattern of tiny holes through the top layer. I don't know if it's Tyvek or AquaShed.

Is there a particular fabric or a manufacturer that makes a cover that is very durable against accidental damage by snow shovels?
David Kojen
23 REPLIES 23

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the leaf blower. Sure; maybe a 75 horsepower turbocharged industrial leafblower. But normal leaf blower?

Ya know, I've been thinking. In your average medium or wet snow the snow will just lie there and not even respond to the leaf blower at all... But I'll bet a leaf blower might work in exceedingly dry snow, which interestingly is what we've been getting here in New England this unusual February, but only if you're out there in the thick of the storm, keeping up every few hours. Or at least get to it the very next day, after the storm stops, but before the sun has begun to sinter it together a bit. Then, time to get out the rakes!
David Kojen

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
These guys that are advocating a leaf blower don't really know what's up with snow....I have a couple of roof rakes, one of which I modified so that the blade never touches the roof surface. I installed two small plastic "wheels" onto the outer edges of the rake. ...Good luck out there in MA, I know you folks are closing in on the record. For once, MN seems not that bad.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the leaf blower. Sure; maybe a 75 horsepower turbocharged industrial leafblower. But normal leaf blower? But I love the modify roof rake with idler wheels idea. That and use a soft rubber material like the model another poster suggested
David Kojen

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a cover but have removed a lot of snow. These guys that are advocating a leaf blower don't really know what's up with snow. It usually doesn't come down and form a nice fluffy blanket. Chances are that if it sticks on the roof, it's wet and forms ice if left on the roof. I notice that my roof sags after a certain amount of snow load. That's why I remove it, not too concerned with leaks as the roof is sealed well.

I have a couple of roof rakes, one of which I modified so that the blade never touches the roof surface. I installed two small plastic "wheels" onto the outer edges of the rake. The plastic wheels turn on a 1/4" bolt. The bolt is attached to the rake blade with wire rope saddle U-bolts, two per side. I have the wheel height adjusted so that the blade rides 1/4" above the roof surface. No matter how hard I dig the blade into snow, the blade is always above the surface of the roof.

Good luck out there in MA, I know you folks are closing in on the record. For once, MN seems not that bad.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Covers are rated for snow and wind. We found ours on Amazon at $$ off the home site. It is rip stop nylon with several zippers and very light weight. We paid about $350 for a short rv. Classic Accessories PermaPro Heavy Duty RV Cover
The only problem so far is that it can't be put on in the wind so we had to leave it off when we got home from a trip just before a snow storm. I read a lot about how a cover will damage the finish but leaks are worse and I noticed some water after our last ice storm. I will install eternabond on the front seams in the spring but for now a cover is the best I can do to protect it.
I wrap extra bubble wrap and styrofoam around the vents and any sharp areas to keep the cover from chafing in the wind. We did get one hole where it hit the inside of the front fender to keep it from blowing so much we tucked it behind and didn't think of that sharp edge.
Even though we have not had it a full season, I would recommend this cover for price and quality.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
FLORIDA

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in the day when I worried about such things, I used an ordinary roof rake to knock the snow down, but left about a foot or so on the roof so I didn't dig into the cover.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I use this type of Roof Rake. Soft around the edges so it won't damage the roof. Have raked to roof off three times so far this year.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Leave it be.
Deep snow is a new experience for a lot of you, not for us.
We had 14ft in 2007, average over 4 ft most years.

Yes, maybe I should have. I thought it was ok, but I went inside to look around. The bathroom door wouldn't open all the way; it hit up against a ceiling light, which it never did before. So something is out of whack. Either the ceiling is sagging (though it looked straight to me), or the frame is bending from the weight, but something changed since December, and the only thing I can imagine is the snow weight.

In retrospect maybe I should have left it alone, and maybe it would bounce back when it all melts off. I don't know.
David Kojen

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it be.
Deep snow is a new experience for a lot of you, not for us.
We had 14ft in 2007, average over 4 ft most years.

I should have added..
If the roof is approved for walking on it by the manufacture, you should be OK.

fendix
Explorer
Explorer
I take a roof snow shovel and sliced a slit in those pool noodle and slide over the shovel. I tape it to the shovel to keep it from moving. It works flawlessly for me.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if Adco still makes it, but I bought a heavy duck cloth type material cover for my 36' DP. It's the same heavy duty stuff they cover boats with. It was about $1200.00 new. I used it for a year or so and then it was just too much work because of the weight. I put it in storage and there it still sits.

It's an expensive cover, but if I lived in snow country, I would spend the money for the cover since it will probably be on for 4-5 months. They made the cover in various sizes with zippers for the door openings. You would probably have to call Adco direct to see if they still offer them.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad