cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My dad has passed

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting this in tribute to my dad, who passed on the 13th at age 89 following a stroke. Why here? We camped as kids, first in tents and then in rented small travel trailers, much like the one I now own. I have such great memories of those trips, and the odd and funny things that happened on them. Our 1960 Ford station wagon sliced through the front skin of one of those trailers with those nifty horizontal fins that adorned the rear end. I guess he learned not to jack-knife the trailer after that. Then there was the overnight behind a gas station out west because the National Park was full. The next morning I awoke as pots and pans were falling all around me, and my mother and sister were trying to keep their balance when he just drove off to get in line at the park, with us still in the trailer. That's when I learned that I was put on the floor to sleep after falling asleep on the fold down dinette bed. Five people in a 13' trailer is a little tight, after all. I remember my mother in tears the night before, so I guess he was determined to get us into a real campground. And so, I still camp, and love it. Here's to dad, always ready for an adventure...
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer
26 REPLIES 26

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss, Steve. In your tribute to your father you have lovingly expressed why camping is such a great family activity. No matter what happens, great memories are created!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
Thoughts of your dad will always be with you, as will his comforting presence. My father passed away 13yrs ago. I was in a fog for 3months or so, but as you say 'time is a great healer.' Tougher for spouses, my mother died last fall and while she became more comfortable without Dad the last few years, he was always on her mind and she missed him deeply.

It can be tough to move on sometimes, but that's what we do; change is life. I think often of a corollary sentiment on a sympathy card I received at my mother's death - "Life is changed, not taken away" Your father has moved on to a wonderful 'adventure', we'll all get there someday.

God's Peace
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
condolences. drag that vintage camper into the woods build a fire have a break from it all and poor one out for him.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences, Steve. Like you, my Dad was the driving force behind my camping travels. It started when I was 6 years old in a borrowed homemade teardrop trailer with a bumper hitch on our car. How we made it from Cincinnati to the Black Hills and back in his two weeks of vacation still baffles me. My Dad retired early and he and my Mom hit the road regularly, first in a TT and finally a 'C'. But he died before he made it to Alaska. So when I retired early and bought my 'C', Alaska was tops on my bucket list. I'm pretty sure that he enjoyed it as well.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that viewed this post and those that responded. I'm heading back out with the camper next week for a couple of nights, with thoughts of my dad with me. My folks were married for 68 years and mom is having a hard time. Between my sister and I, we make sure she isn't left alone. Time is a great healer, but this one will be tough. I'm glad that I retired a year ago and had time to spend with them before this big change.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Steve
Great memorial to your Dad
And great memories for you

longdrive
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear this. Condolences

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences on the loss of your father. May you find comfort in the memories.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Also sending condolences. We never camped as kids. I took my Dad on two or three trips in 2012 and 2013..... he really enjoyed it. He was getting too frail to travel after that.

He passed in June 2015 at 94 yrs. old. Glad that we were able to take him out. Mom passed in 2002. Both are missed.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Condolences to you and your Family. May your Dad rest in Peace.
God Bless!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your post he was memorable and that is what we should all aspire to be. May his memories continue for generations to come.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take his memory with you wherever you go.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for your loss.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss, my condolences.