cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

nascar camping

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
so is it pretty much the norm that nascar fans are running gennies all day and night at race events?. i want to go to dover downs for a race and bring the camper. i dont like sleeping without ac. i didnt buy my camper to not be comfy. i used a tent all my life with just a sleeping bag on the ground. so will i be ok to use a quiet genny for ac over night?

lol i posted this question in another thread on the use of generators but it seems everyone is intent on pointing fingers there.
2010 gmc cc dually twins, nozzles and trans. 12.6 @ 108 so far.
2013 coleman 297re
23 REPLIES 23

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I think the safest thing to do is assume it will be loud. It is a party weekend for many patrons that go to races and not a quiet weekend in the woods to get away.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
I spent 10 days in the infield at the Daytona 500 in 2012. Gennies were not a problem as we had an electric hookup. However the person two sites over was a wannabe DJ and played loud music 24/7 or until they all passed out. Security does not enforce the quiet hours. Been there, done that. Never again!

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
When there was an industrial convention at a nearby hotel near my work, I passed by a rig that was being demoed that had a 10k Onan, and it was so well installed, I was about 25 feet away before I noticed it was even on. I'm sure that one of the generator/welders from Tractor Supply would be far louder.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:
pjhansman wrote:
They definitely enforce the rules at Dover.....not so much at Bristol or Loudon or 'Dega

I think the only thing prohibited at Talladega is "humnan scrifices";)

Yeah but, if you sit by the start/finish line fence isnt it kinda like a voluntary human sacrifice? :E

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
At large events (not NASCAR but at Daytona speedway), I have seen big industrial ones that were not at all loudโ€ฆ you almost had to walk up and feel them to know they were runningโ€ฆ like with the portables there are work zone industrial generators and quiet onesโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Been to many tracks including Dover and they enforce the quiet time after 11:00pm (at least in Lot 2). It certainly is not the norm that NASCAR fans run their genies all day and all night, most like ourselves run them for a couple hours in the morning and then again in the evening to keep the batteries topped up. If the day has been really hot, we'll run the genny in the evening a little longer so that the ac can cool things down, the we just leave windows open.

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have camped at Charlotte motor speedway and they say that they have quite hours but we heard generators running all night. Not sure why it was excellent weather and ac wasn't needed

Last July we were at Eldora speedway, not nascar but an event that had thousands of campers. They also have quite hours that were not enforced. What we did was when we returned to our site at night we would fire up the geneator for about an hour and ran the ac. That was enough to keep the camper cool thru the night. Also had a 12 volt fan that we ran in the bedroom. Temp stayed very comfortable .
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
damn all this talk makes me really wanna go lol. well see.
2013 coleman 297re

zonacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Same hours here at PIR in Phoenix. I really don't mind th noise from all the genney's- like others have said once it gets to 11 & they are all shut off it takes awhile to get used to the "silence" lol. And anyway- the industrial generators they use to power the nightime lights are way worse then want most campers have :). If you are stuck next to them you could run your genny all you want- nobody will ever hear it!!!

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
Texas Motor Speedway...about 10 feet from my house...has rules on music and noise EXCEPT generators, lol, and people bring loud ones! Like industrial versions.

It is not as bad as you think,,, they all blend together... Kinda sounds like when on an airliner.

Agree - I actually think it's worse where they make you shut them off....as soon as people start firing them up it wakes me up...at the tracks where they just let them roll the noise sort of blends in and you forget about it.

We've been lucky so far - most of our immediate neighbors have had quiet units....the guys rolling in with the 10k watt thunder monsters have usually been further down the row.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
pjhansman wrote:
They definitely enforce the rules at Dover.....not so much at Bristol or Loudon or 'Dega

I think the only thing prohibited at Talladega is "humnan scrifices";)
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Motor Speedway...about 10 feet from my house...has rules on music and noise EXCEPT generators, lol, and people bring loud ones! Like industrial versions.

It is not as bad as you think,,, they all blend together... Kinda sounds like when on an airliner.

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
ill look and see if there are full hook ups close by. just not the same as stayin at the track. ive been past talladega(sure i spelled that wrong) before when there was a race event going on and holy******they were all crammed in there. was probably awesome but i just dont have the urge to boondock.
2013 coleman 297re

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
echoing the above - some do and some dont regardless of the posted rules.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com