cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Never seen this one before

DWolfrom
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't do all of our setup at our site last night because of rain and more impending rain...so I was finishing up this morning. The state park we're at has hookups for electric only and there are 6 or 8 water spigots located around the campground. There are no drains at these spigots. Our site is next to one of these spigots and I didn't think that would be a big deal. Well, a tenting neighbor from 5 sites away brought all of his dishes, large tub, dish soap, and three kids to the spigot this morning and proceeded to make the kids wash the dishes while he had a smoke. How can I politely let him know, that for one, I've NEVER seen this before...and two, I don't like the idea of what is technically his gray water running into my campsite all weekend? I don't want to be a jerk, but I also wonder why common sense has become such a limited commodity.:h
2016 JayFlight 32BHDS
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
50 REPLIES 50

S_Sullivan
Explorer
Explorer
DWolfrom wrote:
WOW!! I never thought things would get this stirred up! I want to make a couple points...when I said a tub, I meant a 30-40 gallon Sterilite tub. I look at it as being the same as running a hose to within 15-20' of his campsite and draining my gray water tank.

I decided to keep my mouth shut and talked to the guy some and let him conduct his business the way he saw fit.:)

WHOA.......... that puts another whole light on the subject. That is absolutely crazy. Shouldn't be washing dishes at the spigot at all, but if he did it that way.... You're nicer than me if you didn't say anything.

There are many things that you learn over the years. 5 gallon water jugs at the camp so you have water available in your own site, a normal size dishpan to wash dishes (done at your own campsite) ---- these are just two of the things hopefully he will learn. Where was momma?

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
HJGyswyt wrote:
I too want to know what a sewer hose snake is. Of all the things I do have this might be one more thing I ought to have. Or maybe not.

Oh, and you can put me in the group that has dumped dishwater in the bushes and pee outside sometimes when I'm too lazy to find the facilities.

I think this is what hes talking about.
support
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
I too want to know what a sewer hose snake is. Of all the things I do have this might be one more thing I ought to have. Or maybe not.

Oh, and you can put me in the group that has dumped dishwater in the bushes and pee outside sometimes when I'm too lazy to find the facilities.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I just assumed I was misunderstanding as I wasn't corellating dish water to grey water. If its a sin then I'm guilty. When we go out with our little tent trailer we use a little was basin that doubles as our container for transporting our forks knives spoons and plates. Probably holds a half gallon of water. We heat a little water in our kettle on the Coleman stove or fire, pour it in the basin, wash our dishes and dump it on the road. Helps keep the dust down. :). I doubt this is what anyone is referring to as grey water in this thread. Oh, and yah, I pee in the bushes sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

DWolfrom
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!! I never thought things would get this stirred up! I want to make a couple points...when I said a tub, I meant a 30-40 gallon Sterilite tub. I look at it as being the same as running a hose to within 15-20' of his campsite and draining my gray water tank.

I decided to keep my mouth shut and talked to the guy some and let him conduct his business the way he saw fit.:)
2016 JayFlight 32BHDS
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a matter of 'Haves and Have-nots" each time someone moves up a notch, they tend to look down on those on the lower rungs of amenities while camping.

Well, not everyone, but quite a few and they often make 'rules' instead of 'solutions' ๐Ÿ˜ž

Be a Helper, not a Hater.

S_Sullivan
Explorer
Explorer
While I agree with the OP that it is inconsiderate as well as unsanitary for the dishes to be washed, teeth brushed, "bathing" done, etc at the spigot, I am a bit confused about some of the things that have been posted.

As someone who has actually had a bear break into a TT, I totally understand the worries about attracting bears into a campsite. HOWEVER, exactly how are tent campers supposed to dispose of their gray water other than throw it out into the trees (or whatever landscaping is around)? :h

We have tent camped and we have camped in a small PUP that had no bathroom and such a small sink that sometimes I would heat water on the stove and wash the dishes in a dishpan out on the table rather than inside. I always walked away from the camp (and other camps as well) a few yards and tossed the water. If the bathrooms were "vault" toilets, where were we to brush our teeth? I would take a glass of water, my toothbrush with toothpaste - walk away from the camp a bit, brush my teeth, spit (yes, spit) into the bushes or on the ground, rinse my mouth, rinse my toothbrush in the remaining water and dump it on the ground. And some of you have had the audacity to tell me I couldn't do that? WOW ---- reckon how the pioneers did it when they crossed this great land in covered wagons.

Through the years, we have been fortunate enough to have moved up from tent, PUP, TT and are now on our 2nd 5ver. I have seen just as many inconsiderate MH, TT, and 5ver owners as I have tent campers.

Again - I'm NOT saying it was okay for the man to have his children wash the dishes at the spigot - but I AM saying some of you need to cut people some slack!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
noe-place wrote:
Thats_Ok wrote:
noe-place wrote:
They guy was probably given the rules at check-in or they were posted for all to read upon entry to the cg.

Sounds like me on our last outing:
I signed the receipt to camp stating the rules were to be followed by me.
I parked the truck crosswise in the site and was not completely on the pavement.
I received a warning tag as did a few others.
The truck was moved immediately.
I was glad those in authority were on hand keeping us in-line.

When we stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad Resort in '08 I missed the rule "ALL RVS MUST HAVE A SEWER HOSE SNAKE IN USE." I got a nice "warning ticket" from their security telling me I'd better get one in place by next day or else. :B

What is a sewer hose snake? Never heard of one of those. I like how some campgrounds make up their own terms for RV objects.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
noe-place wrote:
They guy was probably given the rules at check-in or they were posted for all to read upon entry to the cg.

Sounds like me on our last outing:
I signed the receipt to camp stating the rules were to be followed by me.
I parked the truck crosswise in the site and was not completely on the pavement.
I received a warning tag as did a few others.
The truck was moved immediately.
I was glad those in authority were on hand keeping us in-line.

When we stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad Resort in '08 I missed the rule "ALL RVS MUST HAVE A SEWER HOSE SNAKE IN USE." I got a nice "warning ticket" from their security telling me I'd better get one in place by next day or else. :B

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not saying this would work----walk around your campsite in your underwear!!! Pull your black socks way up.
I'm just kidding.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Most, not all parks prohibit grey water release on the ground. It is not often on a sign, but rather listed in the rules. Also, most parks will have a sink for washing dishes, often at the restroom, with a sign, stating "for dish washing only" although people will use them for everything but.

Many places mean no discharge of gray water from tanks, though some have gone overboard any included a tub of dishwater and similar.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
The fellow washing his dishes may not know it is against the rules.
..and can't read signs or printed rules.

I've never seen a sign in any of the parks that I have been to saying that you can't wash your dishes. Maybe he should leave them sitting out to attract the bugs and critters.
What are tent campers to do? and how are they suppose to wash up and it certainly isn't his fault that the part doesn't have drains.
And if you park by a communal spigot then I think you get what you get.

Most, not all parks prohibit grey water release on the ground. It is not often on a sign, but rather listed in the rules. Also, most parks will have a sink for washing dishes, often at the restroom, with a sign, stating "for dish washing only" although people will use them for everything but.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Camping at Lake Le-Aqua-Na is a very relaxed, family-oriented experience. The following regulations apply:

1. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at any time in the campgrounds.
2. Access to the campground is prohibited after 10 p.m., except for previously registered campers.
3. You must have a camping unit, establish camp and obtain a permit upon arrival. You may not buy additional permits in advance in an attempt to save a campsite for friends arriving later.
4. While pets are very important to your camping experience, it is your responsibility to leash them at all times, pick up their waste and attend to them at all times. Many campers are not pet owners and their camping experience is greatly diminished if your pet is noisy. Please consider kenneling your pet if it may disturb others.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
The fellow washing his dishes may not know it is against the rules.
..and can't read signs or printed rules.

I've never seen a sign in any of the parks that I have been to saying that you can't wash your dishes. Maybe he should leave them sitting out to attract the bugs and critters.
What are tent campers to do? and how are they suppose to wash up and it certainly isn't his fault that the part doesn't have drains.
And if you park by a communal spigot then I think you get what you get.