cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Asphalt Driveway

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have recently had my driveway capped with new asphalt. My mh, 26000 lbs, still parked on the curb for about a week now. Been really hot. My asphalt guy says a week should be long enough. I've been advised to park it on 3/4 inch plywood to prevent dents. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein
13 REPLIES 13

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
As previously mentioned be very careful when turning. Do not turn the wheel at all unless the vehicle is moving even very slowly. We just had new asphalt. Tip: if somebody does turn the wheels while not moving I found that a hammer and board will pack down the disturbed surface. In a few days it will look normal. Don't ask me how I know this.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my driveway top coated and the asphalt guy told me about a week should be good. Its been really hot here in southwest Virginia, so I felt that the tar below the surface needed more time to cure. I waited two weeks before putting my fifth wheel on it. It weighs 12000 lbs. I used 2x10 material under my wheels. Under the rear axles I used one piece 8 ft long and under the front jacks I used 12x16 inch pieces. The key is to get the support big enough to distribute the lbs/ft the wheels are exerting. With 26,000 lbs I would be worried that the 3/4 plywood would curl up at the edges over time due to weather and allow the weight to become more concentrated. My camper has been sitting about a month and there are no marks where the boards are.
My guy also said to use boards next to the edges, to keep them from breaking down if you go off the edge of the asphalt.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
I would first want to know the new structural section. What was the "cap". One-inch, 2-inches? An overlay or on gravel. was the AC pavement rolled and compacted? IMHO, A decent depth of properly placed AC pavement with proper basement material, also properly installed and compacted, should handle you rig sitting there without any additional settlement or displacement.

On edit, Once AC pavement is compacted and cooled, there should be no reason not to use it. I wonder what additional curing is going on during the week of not using it.

What kind of asphalt is important.
Is it what is commonly referred to as state top like you see on highways or is it type 7 which is/was a smaller stone but prettier for people to look at. 7 is prone to marks if not completely cured before turning wheels while stationary
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plywood down first. 2X12X6' board ontop of that. Likewise block up under landing legs to spread the weight over a wide area.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
I would first want to know the new structural section. What was the "cap". One-inch, 2-inches? An overlay or on gravel. was the AC pavement rolled and compacted?

I agree. If it was just a top coating on top of properly laid and compacted base and an existing blacktop, it should be fine after a week.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will still have slight indentions with the plywood but they will be better than the ones caused by the tires or stablizers. I have asphalt too and next time I'm going with concrete, after taking out some pine trees.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
Once it is cooled to ambient temp it is as strong as it's going to get. Like others have mentioned , it's all about what's underneath it .
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would first want to know the new structural section. What was the "cap". One-inch, 2-inches? An overlay or on gravel. was the AC pavement rolled and compacted? IMHO, A decent depth of properly placed AC pavement with proper basement material, also properly installed and compacted, should handle you rig sitting there without any additional settlement or displacement.

On edit, Once AC pavement is compacted and cooled, there should be no reason not to use it. I wonder what additional curing is going on during the week of not using it.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd wait another week if possible. If not, 1" plywood should reduce your chances of dents

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
2X12 oak boards would be my idea. Plywood will sag a little IMO.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Plywood will spread the weight out. Odds are it will leave a good depression. The asphalt will need to cool before parking to help slightly. I am talking down in the 30-40s.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
I would put some 1" waterproof plywood under the tires myself. The plywood will distribute the weight over a larger area. It may not be perfect, but it should help anyway. Or you could pour concrete pads too.....
Jim

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
How will the plywood keepdents out at that weight:h You could have had concrete pads poored where the tires would be at