cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti-Theft Ideas for RV Flagpoles?

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an expensive 25 foot Titan aluminum flagpole. Now I am wondering how I can keep it locked to the bumper receiver hitch at the back of my fifth wheel? Anyone have ideas on how to prevent it from growing legs and walking off? Thanks!
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...
15 REPLIES 15

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
isolate the flagpole from the rest of the coach with some pieces of rubber between or around the mounts.
Run a hot wire to a solar powered fence charger on top.
That will keep the crows from sitting on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe not.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
That's a problem ? Where?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
I was also concerned about theft,, Led light and a confederate flag, plus hitch mount runs about $175. I don't want to have to replace it so I bought two hitch locks, one for the hitch to trailer and the other for the pole to mount, I just drilled a hole thru the mount and pole. Now if somebody has an issue with my flags and light they can knock on my door and talk to me about it!!
And display that Confederate flag proudly. Thousands of brave men and boys died as soldiers following orders for a cause they believed in. Right or wrong, whom am I to say, but there was more than one reason the southern states fought to secede from the Union for.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I was also concerned about theft,, Led light and a confederate flag, plus hitch mount runs about $175. I don't want to have to replace it so I bought two hitch locks, one for the hitch to trailer and the other for the pole to mount, I just drilled a hole thru the mount and pole. Now if somebody has an issue with my flags and light they can knock on my door and talk to me about it!!

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just find a way to attach a chain (weld/river an eye onto it, for example), and consider it done. That will keep an honest person honest.

I don't see much stuff vanishing from campsites. Since 2011, my worst loss has been a stolen sewage hose out of the bumper.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
If your worrying about the flagpole, then what about the chairs, tables, grill, rugs, bikes, and whatever else is left outside. Packing up everything and putting it inside everytime you go off somewhere kind of defeats the purpose of enjoying a relaxing time rv'ing..
Personally, been rv'ing since 1971, and cannot think of one item that was ever taken from a camping site.
Grumpy

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure many worry about theft when they buy something expensive. There are several ways you could secure it if you're really concerned. Drill and bolt an eyebolt with cable and lock. Small hitch lock (Harbor Freight) added by drilling hole through pole and support, etc.

I think once you use it a few times your worries will subside. The only thing that typically walks away and many lock are bicycles and generators.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

hsteinle
Explorer
Explorer
maybe this will help answer your question. Never can figure out why people who do NOT contribute a answer TO the actual question have to post their own 'belittlements', especially the sarcastic ones, but then guess that is just the way some people operate. On my Titan pole, I first of all use a receiver pin lock (the one that has a combo lock built in on the end of the pin), then I bought a U-shaped bicycle lock made by MasterLock. I then--with the flag pole in the receiver holder, drilled two holes to match the u-shapped lock prongs. Was not difficult to drill. It not only provides a deterrent to theft but also keeps the pole from accidentally blowing out in severe winds. Keep flying the American flag proudly. To the other 'blow hards'--better 'safe than sorry'---it's kind of like 'conceal carry'---you might only need it ONCE, but IF you DO need it ONCE--you probably REALLY need it.
Harlan
Mesa AZ/Durango CO
โ€™07 Alfa So Long Gold #4322
Cummins 400 ISL
Toad:
-Harley enclosed "Toy Carrier" cycle trailer, or
-โ€˜01 Jeep Wrangler, or
-'11 Ford Explorer Limited

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I've had an aluminum pole sitting in my front yard for 15 years. It is 4 sections and weighs next to nothing. You can lift it out of the sleeve with one hand, pull the sections apart and stick them in the front seat next to you in about 30 seconds. Nobody has ever touched it there or at a campground when I take it along.

Maybe the Marine flag hanging on it is the reason.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't get the flagpole with the red,white, and blue strobe lights and leave them on all night, and you'll be fine.

I was tempted to steal that one at Yosemite, just so I could turn it off.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
IMO, the chances of it being stolen are quite small.
If somebody REALLY wants it, nothing you can do will prevent them from taking it or damaging it.
Hacksaws will defeat most chains or padlocks. A small portable cutting torch will defeat those that a hacksaw won't touch. As far as "keeping honest people honest", if they are truly honest, they don't need help to stay that way. If they are not honest, there isn't much we can do about it.

X2, I know that CG thefts happens, but I have been fortunate and have not had anything taken at a CG. But if someone wanted something there is nothing I could do to stop them from taking it. With modern battery powered cutting tools it is gone in seconds. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bolt it onto something with just the head of the bolt visible. Most thieves are opportunists and aren't prepared to deal with fasteners.
A flagpole would be way down on the list of items a thief would want. They are difficult to transport and don't have much s**** value.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Got a 16' that I've used at race tracks and campgrounds for many years; never even had a flag taken, let alone the pole. It just sits in it's cradle.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about theft, but could you drill a hole thru the base and use a locking hitch pin?