Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new ecoboost

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering upgrading to t new TV.
They are offering some really good deals on 2014 F 150sI have read a lot of comments on how well they tow, but was wondering if any problems are showing up.
Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.
My TT is only about 4000# loaded (scaled)but am trying to plan for the 3 foot itch.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
23 REPLIES 23

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reports. Glad to see there weren't abunch of you screaming"NO DON"T".
Guess it's time to talk to my dealer.
I'll post the outcome. Thanks again.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:

I love my Ecoboost. Tows great, drives great, better mpg than my Chevy 5.3, with noticeably more power to boot. I'm a fan.

X2 ๐Ÿ™‚

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
The manual just states that the effects of premium will be most noticeable in hot weather or when towing. No requirements to use it. I have not had any issues w/ 87.

One note, though, that I found in the manual -- it requires at least 87 octane, even at altitude. Here in Utah, our regular grade is 85 due to altitude. I ran 85 the first few tanks and didn't notice a difference when I switched to 87, but that's what I've been running the last few months.

I love my Ecoboost. Tows great, drives great, better mpg than my Chevy 5.3, with noticeably more power to boot. I'm a fan.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford says use premium fuel for best performance when under load.
I have tried it twice with no noticeable difference. No mileage advantage with it. No pinging, knocking or loss of ability on RUG. I do step up to mid grade 87 octane when towing in the winter. The 85 winter blend down here is awful.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mhsmith wrote:
I had one problem with an ignition coil at 21,000 miles. Other than that, it has been great. My experience using premium fuel did no better than without. That is the beauty of the design...use 87 octane and require no more than a synthetic blend for oil even though I choose to run full synthetic.( I plan to keep it a long time).

Now why would Ford say premium fuel? What do they know? A tiny engine stuffed full with twin turbo-chargers has very high cylinder pressures.

Explorer II
Explorer II
3 1/2 years and 34K on mine without any issues. I don't like the way I have to change the oil but if you pay someone to do that for you it's no big deal. They may have made it easier on newer models, IDK.

It's a towing beast for a 1/2 ton.

Pay attention to payload numbers. They are all over the board. Rule of thumb is the more the options the lower the payload.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BradinOhio
Explorer
Explorer
I have had no problems in 15K miles with my 2012 Ecoboost. It is my daily driver. Tons of power and fun to drive.
Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
sushidog wrote:
If it were me, I'd get the new 1/2 ton Dodge Diesel. I'm sure it would give the best fuel mileage (and durability) both towing and not.

Chip

x2
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I had one problem with an ignition coil at 21,000 miles. Other than that, it has been great. My experience using premium fuel did no better than without. That is the beauty of the design...use 87 octane and require no more than a synthetic blend for oil even though I choose to run full synthetic.( I plan to keep it a long time).

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
Just pulled in this evening after a 5,680 mile tow. Yes, there were some miles without the trailer, but less than 500. Total mpg for the whole thing = 10.5. This includes Rte 14 through the Bighorn Mountains, over the Donnor Pass an CA, a hairy up and down from 101 to 1 in CA, and interstate through Cour d'Alene in Idaho. Pulled my ~8,500 fifth wheel without issue through it all. I generally kept to 5 mph below posted speed. Always could keep up to full speed going up any hill, if I elected.
The manual does not require premium for towing, but does suggest you get 10% better milage if you do use it, which I have found to be true. I generally did on this trip. On shorter tows previously, I would get premium if the cost was less than 10% more than regular. Odd that in CA, although gas overall is higher, premium(ethanol) was only 10 cents more. Here in Minn, the price diff for same is over 40 cents (more than 10% over regular. The computer management does a great job of adapting to whatever is currently in the tank.
Make sure to get the Heavy Duty PAYLOAD package, along with the Max. Tow package. Big increase in payload capability. I'm near it with my current fifth. With a regular trailer, even very big, you would be in excellent shape.
I pull a f'ver also with an Eco boost with no problem Haven't been out west mainly the hills of Missouri.
scott

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check the Ford towing guide. You will find that an EcoBoost with the same rear gear as a 5.0, is rated to tow more than the 5.0.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bigrick
Explorer
Explorer
You might try looking at some of the Ford (or any other make) owners' forums. You'll find a lot of people with a lot of experience.
2007 Dutchmen 28F GS
2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD 5.7L V-8

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in this evening after a 5,680 mile tow. Yes, there were some miles without the trailer, but less than 500. Total mpg for the whole thing = 10.5. This includes Rte 14 through the Bighorn Mountains, over the Donnor Pass an CA, a hairy up and down from 101 to 1 in CA, and interstate through Cour d'Alene in Idaho. Pulled my ~8,500 fifth wheel without issue through it all. I generally kept to 5 mph below posted speed. Always could keep up to full speed going up any hill, if I elected.
The manual does not require premium for towing, but does suggest you get 10% better milage if you do use it, which I have found to be true. I generally did on this trip. On shorter tows previously, I would get premium if the cost was less than 10% more than regular. Odd that in CA, although gas overall is higher, premium(ethanol) was only 10 cents more. Here in Minn, the price diff for same is over 40 cents (more than 10% over regular. The computer management does a great job of adapting to whatever is currently in the tank.
Make sure to get the Heavy Duty PAYLOAD package, along with the Max. Tow package. Big increase in payload capability. I'm near it with my current fifth. With a regular trailer, even very big, you would be in excellent shape.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
For your load the base 302 hp V6 3.7 would tow your trailer much easier and better than your current 4.6.

Supercrew 3.7 2wd all have the 3.73 rear gears and 6400 lb tow ratings and the 23 highway mpg isn't too bad a deal either.

Between the 5.0 and the EcoBoost, personally I would go with the 5.0

Forced induction is nice but I like the power off the line a N/A motor gives. Just personal preference here. No major issues with the EcoBoost.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~