Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Shank for 2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck and it has the 2.5" receiver. I didn't want to mess around with the adapter so I picked up a Reese Titan shank however it doesn't fit correctly. So my question is what are you using for a weight distributing hitch that has a 2.5" shank with about a 12" extension from the hitch pin to the holes for the WD head? I need the clearance so I can put the tailgate down when I'm hooked up.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC
9 REPLIES 9

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
So in hindsight I see I just said it didn't work and didn't state why. On the part of the shank that goes into the receiver it starts at the 2.5" but then there is a small ridge and it expands just a little where it would normally be sticking out of the receiver but the problem I'm running into is that I'm coming up maybe an 1/8" short of being able to put the hitch pin in because the expansion on the shank hits the receiver and won't let it go in far enough.

I may be able to go with a shorter shank and still be ok with the jack because I do have some room to spare when the tailgate is down so maybe I need to look at that closer to see if I can find a shorter extension on the shank that will fit.
Mike & Company
Reese W/D & HP DC

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Draggo wrote:
Hello,

I recently upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck and it has the 2.5" receiver. I didn't want to mess around with the adapter so I picked up a Reese Titan shank however it doesn't fit correctly.

Please explain why it doesn’t fit correctly.

Doesn’t fit into the receiver?

Not long enough as you state below?

So my question is what are you using for a weight distributing hitch that has a 2.5" shank with about a 12" extension from the hitch pin to the holes for the WD head? I need the clearance so I can put the tailgate down when I'm hooked up.

Note that the longer the shank, the longer the lever arm on the receiver cross tube (a torque tube).

That would reduce the rating of the receiver and also increase the amount of WD bar travel required to do the same work a shorter shank would require

Thanks,
Mike

You also said you don’t want to mess with a 2” to 2.5” adaptor, so using the old one is out, right?

What is getting in the way with opening the tail gate ? Most TT’s have room to drop the tail gate and what is different with yours ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
In what way doesn't the new shank fit?

Does it not fit the truck, or does your hitch head not bolt up to the new shank?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Seems 2.5" shank extensions are hard to come by except in longer lengths.
If you cant find the shank you need, either get a short 2.5 to 2" reducer extension and use your old shank or have a short 2.5" extension fabbed up. Should be reasonable $.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I have thought about rotating the jack and may end up doing that. As for Etrailer, that's where I originally ordered the Titan from but ended up canceling it because even though they said they had it in stock the ship date kept moving out further and further and they couldn't give me a good explanation why so I canceled it.
Mike & Company
Reese W/D & HP DC

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Order what you need from etrailer.com
They make them in assorted lengths.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Not a great idea to use an adapter sleeve often and/or with heavy trailers.
Good chance of bending a hitch pin and wallowing out the receiver pin holes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I don' have a GM factory hitch, so not sure if its different. But, the pin holes aren't in the same spot even on the adapters. I use the 2" draw bars that I already have with the Curt 2 1/2" adapter I got at Walmart. The holes are in a better location than the Reese adapter and the sleeve is not recessed inside the hitch. I was going to buy a 2 1/2" Equalizer shank, but the Curt adapter has been working fine.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought...... if your jack is electric, have you had a look at turning it around?

I had the same problem and gained a couple of inches. Enough to be able to lower my tailgate.

I probably don’t have to point this out, but.... make sure you block the reach before taking the jack bolts off.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)