cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new traffic law in tn

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
july 1 those, impeding traffic in the left lane on three land highways, will be fined 50.00.
doesn't matter about speed limit, if you are impeding traffic, other vehicles behind you to back up or stopping someone going faster to slow down etc they will be fined.
won't do much about two lane highways, like yesterday a jeep, going up the mountain was staying at about 45, when the speed limit was 55, and traffic was moving faster than that.
flashed lights and she ht the rakes trying to cause an accident.
semis in right lane doing about 30.
she passed them and we were clear and tried to go around, she hit the gas and went bck down to 45 when she approcahed the corner of another semi in the right lane.
she would not get over.
got past her and she she shot us the finger.
how dare we. it was her lane and she was enforcing her speed limit.
75 REPLIES 75

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to Tennessee a few years ago. I applaud the General Assembly for passing this legislation. But to be honest there has to be a police presence in order to enforce it. And there is the problem. I RARELY see a state trooper anywhere on I-24 between Chattanooga and my home just off the Monteagle exit. Ditto for county sheriff's deputies. I do see a Chattanooga city police car in the city now and then. I dread going to Chattanooga due to the poor condition of the interstate and the overcrowding of the road. This law won't help that situation.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
WTP-GC wrote:
smkettner wrote:
If the speeders cannot speed it will put the radar companies out of business. Not to mention revenue to the State.

So don't impede the officers right to catch a speeder!

I have multiple LEO's in my family and social circle. At the end of last month, one of them was accused (by another friend of ours) of sitting in a popular area to get his monthly quota and to participate in the "revenue collection program". He responded by saying that quotas don't exist (probably not the biggest lie we've heard today, but whatever) and that the department only gets a few dollars per ticket. But let's keep in mind that the local departments are funded largely by the state, which is the recipient of ticket revenue. So yes, each ticket has a directly proportionate effect on revenue, whether you'll admit to it or not.
I really do not care if there is a quota or not. The idea is to keep right and let the speeders pass. LEO should be enforcing the speed not the other drivers.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Blinkers??? what is that?? Didn't have nothin called that on the tractor, but had some headflaps for the mare.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
zach477 wrote:
There should be a law banning SLOW MERGERS. The people that think it's OK to try and merge onto a highway at 25 mph. Even worse is when they don't look over their should to see my 24,000 lb RV going 60 about to run them over because I can't stop or move over quick enough and they can't step on the gas.

When I first got my RV, I was worried about being the one merging onto highways. Turns out most people see you and get out of the way. The real problem is the people trying to merge in front of you at half the speed limit.

I totally agree. And what really bothers me is that most of these drivers act like it is their right to enter the highway and we need to yield to them! I see it all the time in different states. I wonder if they would do this to an semi rig.

I got into an argument at a CG meet and greet breakfast with two guys that told me it was the law that you had to move over for merging traffic. There was no changing their mind on the issue.

I think that because many of us change to the left lane as a courtesy to merging traffic that many think it is a law.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Man you just touched on a pet peeve of mine. Merging traffic that feels they have the right of way over you. You cannot move over, hit the brakes and you will cause a pile up, yet they dawdle out in front of you. I installed air horns to wake these idiots up. Most of the time they are actually unaware that they are about to broadside you. We have seen some very comical facial expressions when they finally get the drift. Other times it has been too close for comfort.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Road Hog: a motorist who drives inconsiderately, making it difficult for others to proceed safely.
Typically a sociopath, trying to incite violence in others.

Also known as a troll on forums.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
zach477 wrote:
There should be a law banning SLOW MERGERS. The people that think it's OK to try and merge onto a highway at 25 mph. Even worse is when they don't look over their should to see my 24,000 lb RV going 60 about to run them over because I can't stop or move over quick enough and they can't step on the gas.

When I first got my RV, I was worried about being the one merging onto highways. Turns out most people see you and get out of the way. The real problem is the people trying to merge in front of you at half the speed limit.

I totally agree. And what really bothers me is that most of these drivers act like it is their right to enter the highway and we need to yield to them! I see it all the time in different states. I wonder if they would do this to an semi rig.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
wnjj wrote:

1. Put your right turn signal on before you clear the vehicle in the right lane so those behind know you intend to pull back over shortly.

Turn signal - why don't people use it? It certainly gives those around you an idea of what you plan to do. Thanks!

I have extended towing mirrors with the signals in the mirror, so if they can't see the camper light blinking they can see my truck. But it isn't a matter of a little preventive action, there are just some folks that believe their little econobox can weave in and out with just a brief imposition and then they are off. Those seem to be the same type that pull in front of you while you are slowing down for a red light, causing your braking distance to suddenly shrink to nothing, just so they can get a better spot at the intersection. Besides the insensitivity, they don't seem to get the difference in the stopping and maneuverability of a 3500lb car vs a 6500lb truck towing a 6000lb rv.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
If the speeders cannot speed it will put the radar companies out of business. Not to mention revenue to the State.

I have multiple LEO's in my family and social circle. At the end of last month, one of them was accused (by another friend of ours) of sitting in a popular area to get his monthly quota and to participate in the "revenue collection program". He responded by saying that quotas don't exist (probably not the biggest lie we've heard today, but whatever) and that the department only gets a few dollars per ticket. But let's keep in mind that the local departments are funded largely by the state, which is the recipient of ticket revenue. So yes, each ticket has a directly proportionate effect on revenue, whether you'll admit to it or not.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
WTP-GC wrote:
So....
They've created a law that will force you to break the law in order to keep the law so that others may break the law.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like for them to enforce blinker usage. I've been in Nashville for almost a year, and it's awful. People just don't use their blinkers. Whether they're turning on a city street or changing lanes on the highway.

Seems to be an awful lot of accidents on the highways each day, and it really is no surprise.

I asked a police officer about it once. He shrugged and said, "Hey, maybe you can change things. You know, set a good example." I'm pretty sure HE could change things more than I could! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
In tennessee, the ones you see the most are the Tennessee Highway Patrol cars. Left lane on the interstate, at least five MPH (an sometimes a lot more) hugging the left lane, with radar reading oncoming traffic across the median. Then they lock up the brakes, turn on the blue flashers, and turn across the median to hassle someone in the other lane.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
A road hog is a hog, regardless of speed.
That is purely a matter of subjective perception!
That is why I called it the "illegal lane."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman