cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new traffic law in tn

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
july 1 those, impeding traffic in the left lane on three land highways, will be fined 50.00.
doesn't matter about speed limit, if you are impeding traffic, other vehicles behind you to back up or stopping someone going faster to slow down etc they will be fined.
won't do much about two lane highways, like yesterday a jeep, going up the mountain was staying at about 45, when the speed limit was 55, and traffic was moving faster than that.
flashed lights and she ht the rakes trying to cause an accident.
semis in right lane doing about 30.
she passed them and we were clear and tried to go around, she hit the gas and went bck down to 45 when she approcahed the corner of another semi in the right lane.
she would not get over.
got past her and she she shot us the finger.
how dare we. it was her lane and she was enforcing her speed limit.
75 REPLIES 75

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I may not drive as much as a lot of people but I used to do about 70 miles a day, 65 miles of interstate, when I was working, and I would see this issue all the time. People will just mosey along at their own pace in the left lane and stay there, sometimes moving over for overtaking traffic and sometimes not. Seemed to be just the mood they happen to be in I guess. If they were doing a few mph over the speed limit and someone overtook them, some would simply not move over. Who knows why.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
A road hog is a hog, regardless of speed.

That is purely a matter of subjective perception!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A road hog is a hog, regardless of speed.

Road rage is the expression of the amateur sociopath in all of us, cured by running into a professional. ~Robert Brault
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
the guy in the left lane traveling at 76 MPH must be an arrogant, ignorant, self-centered jerk...as judged by the guy behind him who wants to travel at 77 MPH. Naturally, the 77 MPH guy is also a jerk if you ask the guy behind him who wants to travel at 78 MPH.
I see that a lot. I rarely see the "left lane camper" that is so often described.

After living in Seattle many years, I saw it all. Even if there are 6 lanes of traffic going 15mph, sure enough, there will be some jerk in the "passing lane" (aka illegal lane) who wants everyone to move over, one car at a time, so he can get where he's going 10 seconds sooner. Because, by golly, "that's the law."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
I still question why anyone would attempt to pass on the right if the turn signal is already on. It's much quicker and easier for them to simply wait instead of having to make 2 lane changes. Not that reasoning has anything to do with some people's driving choices.
Reasoning has almost nothing to do with it.

Ever notice how, if you're the first car behind a traffic impediment of any kind, EVERYONE will be passing you (and the impediment) thereby trapping you? That's how impatient (and emotional) driving is.

I can't wait for driverless cars. We're just too stupid to do this ourselves.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
wnjj wrote:

1. Put your right turn signal on before you clear the vehicle in the right lane so those behind know you intend to pull back over shortly.

Turn signal - why don't people use it? It certainly gives those around you an idea of what you would like to do. Thanks!

I fixed it for ya :W
In this world of extremely impatient drivers, I've found that people are more and more willing to ignore the fact that you'd like to be courteous. After all, it saves them exactly 1-2 seconds if they don't have to wait for you to get over. Plus, if they wait, it robs them the opportunity to look like the bad-mama-jama they'd like to envision themselves as.

But admittedly, I've pondered this topic for far too long over the past few days. Yet it came to my attention what an extremely minor problem this truly is. As someone who drives a ton of miles every year, I'm rarely inconvenienced by someone (and rarely do I encounter someone) that is hogging the left lane and truly impeding traffic. This is a non-issue IMO. People have become so self-absorbed that they allow themselves to be troubled the tiniest of matters. Fits right in with this ultra-offended age we're living in. According to most people on this thread, the guy in the left lane traveling at 76 MPH must be an arrogant, ignorant, self-centered jerk...as judged by the guy behind him who wants to travel at 77 MPH. Naturally, the 77 MPH guy is also a jerk if you ask the guy behind him who wants to travel at 78 MPH.
SBGTF

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
The reality is it is not the drivers that understand proper lane usage such as Mr.Beebo causing this. But the parade of the left lane hogs everyone encounters. So unfortunately the drivers behind Mr.Beebo are trying to make that judgment call of which type they are behind. Do you make the unsafe pass to the right or wait and see if they are just going to hang out in the left lane. It is the inconsiderate or uneducated drivers that created this mess that leaves everyone guessing.

I agree with you on this one. I still question why anyone would attempt to pass on the right if the turn signal is already on. It's much quicker and easier for them to simply wait instead of having to make 2 lane changes. Not that reasoning has anything to do with some people's driving choices.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:

1. Put your right turn signal on before you clear the vehicle in the right lane so those behind know you intend to pull back over shortly.

Turn signal - why don't people use it? It certainly gives those around you an idea of what you plan to do. Thanks!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Mr.Beebo wrote:
I pass in the left lane and I try to allow a fair margin between the vehicle in the right lane before pulling back over.
Usually a couple of car lengths, yet it takes only one car length for a driver behind you to slide into the right lane and it opens the gate for the rest. To everyone behind the first car that passed me, I might look like the idiot who can't move over when the truth is the one driver with no patience or consideration jammed me up, and they are now long gone.
In many ways, driving is just an extension of one's personality.

Here are a couple of suggestions that you may already do:

2. If that doesn't work (and it may not for some of those drivers), close the gate again by slowing slightly until there isn't room for more to cut through. Once the first ones through clear the right lane, cut over with a little less margin.

The reality is it is not the drivers that understand proper lane usage such as Mr.Beebo causing this. But the parade of the left lane hogs everyone encounters. So unfortunately the drivers behind Mr.Beebo are trying to make that judgment call of which type they are behind. Do you make the unsafe pass to the right or wait and see if they are just going to hang out in the left lane. It is the inconsiderate or uneducated drivers that created this mess that leaves everyone guessing.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Beebo wrote:
I pass in the left lane and I try to allow a fair margin between the vehicle in the right lane before pulling back over.
Usually a couple of car lengths, yet it takes only one car length for a driver behind you to slide into the right lane and it opens the gate for the rest. To everyone behind the first car that passed me, I might look like the idiot who can't move over when the truth is the one driver with no patience or consideration jammed me up, and they are now long gone.

Here are a couple of suggestions that you may already do:

2. If that doesn't work (and it may not for some of those drivers), close the gate again by slowing slightly until there isn't room for more to cut through. Once the first ones through clear the right lane, cut over with a little less margin.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
IMO this law actually is about safety, unlike speeding which is revenue generation. This law will help smooth out the flow of traffic by trying to keep people from having to switch lanes frequently, which will help reduce accidents. You won't have faster traffic coming up on slower traffic unexpectedly in the passing lane. Having driven in Europe I can attest to the fact that traffic moves more smoothly and quickly when everyone pays attention to which lane is for passing.

Exactly. Rules of the road exist for a reason and make it safer and more efficient for everyone. Self righteous dummies that decide to go camping in the left lane are making the process less safe and less efficient.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Indiana also has this law and it was highlighted in this morning's paper. Lets face it a lot folks know the left passing lane is usually smoother pavement due to the lack of heavy trucks pounding it to pieces. So they figure to H--- with you I am going to stay out here and enjoy a smoother ride.

None of us are complaining about the guy who passes slower traffic and will get back in the right lane just as soon as he safely can. However we all know there are those that stay in the left lane out of stupidity, being obtuse, and inconsiderate.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

Recently I was pulling a trailer on a 2 lane interstate. I'm in the right lane doing 67, but I come up on someone that's doing far less. The left lane is open. I slide over there to the left lane just to make the pass, but I get hung up there because a plethora of impatient drivers being passing me on the right...despite my right turn signal being on. Naturally, some of them gave me the finger or made some other motion as they passed. Oh well, not my problem.

Sounds like you made the pass and then failed to get back in the right lane soon enough.

X2
You need to be able to know when you have the space to one back over.
It never amazes me the number of drivers that can't use mirrors to determine when the are past some one.
I have been driving right mirror required vehicles for over 45 years and don't give it a second thought. When I pull over to pass it is all about getting the pass done and back over before slowing the next vehicle behind me.

LOL
As someone who drives 30K to 40K miles per, mostly on interstate highways, many times with equipment or cargo trailers, I think I'm a better judge of driving scenarios than most. I'm guessing that all these folks commenting about "not getting over quick enough" must live in some utopia where the potential of some drivers being impatient or irrational doesn't exist. Remember, it only takes one little car to shoot the gap and cut you off and start a sequence of one car after another. I guess my Florida roads have a different breed of driver. Good grief, you people have clearly lost all sense of reason.

And to correct another commenter regarding me using my judgement as to when I will get over...YES x100. Keep in mind that I have pretty good range of view in my 1 ton 4x4 dually...probably much better than that little 2 door civic three feet off my bumper. Might be a very good reason why I stay where I'm at. If I feel it would be more dangerous to move, then I'm not going anywhere.

Remember that despite what you think, if you don't like my speed (whatever that speed might be) and you choose to stay behind instead of passing, then YOU are the problem.
SBGTF

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I come upon a lot of ignorant, self-centered folks just crusing along in the left lane quite often, especially on interstates. Rather than get all upset about it, I usually just stay in the right lane, and take my time. On interstates, pretty someone else in a big hurry, or an 18-wheeler with a tight schedule will come along and take care of the situation. The grill of a big truck in your mirror plus an air horn helps folks get the idea. I just try to stay out of it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
IMO this law actually is about safety, unlike speeding which is revenue generation. This law will help smooth out the flow of traffic by trying to keep people from having to switch lanes frequently, which will help reduce accidents. You won't have faster traffic coming up on slower traffic unexpectedly in the passing lane. Having driven in Europe I can attest to the fact that traffic moves more smoothly and quickly when everyone pays attention to which lane is for passing.

Exactly. Rules of the road exist for a reason and make it safer and more efficient for everyone. Self righteous dummies that decide to go camping in the left lane are making the process less safe and less efficient.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS