cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer salt corrosion.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased a 2018 Jayco that was brought down from Indiana while the entire east coast was under heavy snow. It clearly took on heavy salt build up along the way. Although it was been washed several times. I have lots of scews/bolts that have already broke. Most are still white with salt damage. I've already replaced the fuel station nozzle and switch due to the salt locking it up. Yes it was under warranty but only cost me $30 and was cheaper than taking it back. All this before making the first payment.

I've been around the block enough I know my dealer won't/can't do much about it but is there anything I can spray down there to slow down the damage ? The camper is great but the underside looks worse than the 4 year old Jayco I just sold.

Lesson learned, I'll never buy new in the winter again.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
32 REPLIES 32

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
So what exactly is Fluid Film? I've never heard of it before.

It is lanolin, I buy it on eBay. Farm supply stores, Amazon and a multitude of places handle it. I first heard of it when I discovered that salt trucks used it to get a little more life out of their equipment. Some farmers use it because the chemicals they use are corrosive and often equipment is stored outside.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys are going to think I'm crazy. When I first get a vehicle I spread a plastic tarp under it. Then fill a pump sprayer with used crankcase oil and spray the oil covering all the frame and associated parts,except the brakes,engine and tranny, with a good coat and let it sit overnight till the excess drips off on the tarp. Used to watch my Dad do this and he, nor I, have had frame rust trouble. I do the wheel wells and inside the bumpers too.

Oh if it is boxed I spray in the holes along the chasssis..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
So what exactly is Fluid Film? I've never heard of it before.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ok, so Fluid Film is good stuff, use it myself, but it’s not a substitute for painting. It does provide a decent , sacrificial barrier to corrosion, but if paint sticks to the metal it’s better. Fluid film is akin to oil spraying an undercarriage.

I agree with what you say, but the problem is that RV’s are built in a way that has frame, siding, etc. having crevices where one component meets the other. Salt spray gets into those areas and the never ending corrosion process starts. Fluid Film can be squirted into those crevices and is less likely to harm the various materials. Whatever you use, Fluid Film, motor oil, paint or anything else, you will never completely cover all the hidden problem areas and stop all the corrosion.

Make every effort to stay off the road with any vehicle while the roads are made unfit for use by salt and chemicals.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok, so Fluid Film is good stuff, use it myself, but it’s not a substitute for painting. It does provide a decent , sacrificial barrier to corrosion, but if paint sticks to the metal it’s better. Fluid film is akin to oil spraying an undercarriage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
A brand new trailer, driven once on salted roads and fasteners are rusting out and breaking? Something isn't right.

Not sure what wouldn't be right. Cars drive through salt then through rain or go to the car wash. If it collected a ton of salt then just sat for even a couple weeks it could do a lot of damage real quick.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
A brand new trailer, driven once on salted roads and fasteners are rusting out and breaking? Something isn't right.

Could be a possibility depending on long the unit sat in the holding yard in Indiana, at the dealers lot before you bought it. All RV builders store their finished units outside on gravel (and sometimes dirt) lots.

Always keep in mind that while the unit may be 'new' to you as in never sold to a consumer, you have no idea how long it sat in the elements before you bought it....

Anything is possible.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
While you can wash and paint all you want, the real damage is coming from the hidden areas that can't be cleaned or painted. I would spray Fluid Film in all ares that salt might be causing damage. Re-coat at least once a year.

As you know, driving in that ridiculous stuff, even once, is the beginning of the end for a vehicle. You will get lower resale/trade-in for it and when it gets real bad, you can't give it away.

Exactly. Pressure wash it good, let it dry and apply Fluid Film. I use it on all my vehicles. Stops rust dead. Looks good too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can buy a gallon of phosphoric acid at Lowe's in the paint department... it's the active ingredient in all rust remover's. By staying up wind you can use a suction shop cleaner to spray your undercarriage with it. Next I would pressure clean the entire undercarriage as best you can. Instead of painting I would use fluid film as suggested once a year.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Use to be some people would never wash their car in winter. It’s the salty water that did the damage, so they said. Nowadays cars are built better so I don’t worry about it.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Use a converter like por15 or rustoleum now and you will be fine. Mine was also a winter transport and same issue. I’ve hit the frame and axels with rust paint and it is good now 5 years later. Under the corrugated plastic is like new.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
While you can wash and paint all you want, the real damage is coming from the hidden areas that can't be cleaned or painted. I would spray Fluid Film in all ares that salt might be causing damage. Re-coat at least once a year.

As you know, driving in that ridiculous stuff, even once, is the beginning of the end for a vehicle. You will get lower resale/trade-in for it and when it gets real bad, you can't give it away.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I use for light rust: Mix a pint bottle of concentrated water softener liquid cleaner in a one gallon garden sprayer. I spray on rust and let sit until I see the surface turning white. I will sometimes reapply the solution, as a direct rinse doesn't remove all. I may brush against the surface with a brush while the solution is on the surface, depends on the amount of rust. Rinse off solution thoroughly and let dry. It is the phosphoric acid in the water softener cleaner that removes the rust. A guy can also use rust cleaners and surface etchers sold at auto body suppliers. I have and there is little difference except in my wallet.

I don't see how a conventional 1/4" or larger bolt is going to break from rust-through in just a few years. Even snow plow equipment or offshore steel that is continually exposed doesn't fail like that. There are other forces at work in that situation.

Painting the underside is a good deterrent to rust. I may do that to my 47 yr old trailer since the frame is covered with surface rust. It is a lot of work and has little improvement with low risk to continue with what I have.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hard to believe a brand new trailer can be snapping bolts froze up w rust, but idk.
As far as the undercarriage, don't freak out. It's a little rust. Get a few cans of black spray paint and spend an hour under the trailer. It's either now or next year. If it rusted that quick, it would rust just sitting in the yard before too long.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold