cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer campers only??

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of getting into a seasonal campground in New Jersey. I am well aware of the 10 year old rule. Two campgrounds have shortened up that guideline considerably. One stipulates that your rig cannot be older than 5 years old and the other limits to 3 years old or newer! I understand your campground, your rules but geez? Anybody hear of this before?
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky
27 REPLIES 27

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the care-taker of an elder statesman, I can tell you that the less than 10 rule is actually very rare for travelers. Now, if you are looking for a seasonal that may be different. But, if you are talking about "RV Resorts", they are different animals and I will never know about them. I have this aversion to any thing "Resort".

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am sure there are several less than ten year old trailers the look like crud! The issues is appearance is subjective, where age is not! It is really sad as there are many older rigs that look as nice as the day they were built.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bluhorn wrote:
I'm thinking of getting into a seasonal campground in New Jersey. I am well aware of the 10 year old rule. Two campgrounds have shortened up that guideline considerably. One stipulates that your rig cannot be older than 5 years old and the other limits to 3 years old or newer! I understand your campground, your rules but geez? Anybody hear of this before?

Have not heard of a 3 year rule before but have heard of the 10 year one many times.. My theory is they have so much business they need to restrict it.. and if they have that much business then they very clearly do not need mine.

So I tell them what I think of said rule, and have since 2005, by PARKING ELSEWHERE.. oh, by the way, the motor home I was driving in 2005... Was brand new..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine any CG owner that would reject an airstream, and they haven't changed in probably 40 years. They're classic. OTOH, I think most RV parks have a window to the registration area, so they can see what the RV looks like. No CG owner wants an RV in their CG where the owner removed the license plate and drove out, never to return. Its really hard to throw away a camper.
My 'C' turns 10 this year. Always garaged. So next year, it magically becomes a 2005 model. If I get caught, they don't take away my birthday, I just don't get to stay. So I'll move on down the road.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a private business, they can pick and choose who they do business with unless they discriminate against a protected class.

I don't do the 'resort' type places in my RV so never an issue.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Guess I usually stay in state campgrounds. I have never heard of this before. Is this usually a state thing?

It is an RV park (or "resort") thing, seldom a campground thing. Most places with rules like this do not even permit camping.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
What're the names of the campgrounds?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I usually stay in state campgrounds. I have never heard of this before. Is this usually a state thing?

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I have found a lot that would give an older rig a pass past the 10 year old limit if it was in good shape. I agree that makes sense because some older rigs are beautiful.
These two campgrounds that I've previously mentioned, state NO exceptions!!
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
10 year rules are virtually every single CG out there. I've seen a HOA around Austin that has a 5 year rule on all cars (anything older gets towed and a $300 "eyesore" fee assessed.)

I'm not surprised at a five year rule in a CG... three years is almost insane, because one barely shakes the bugs out of most RVs in that time frame.
Jay Leno would be banned for sure.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I have found CGs with RV age limit rules to allow nicely kept RVs that are beyond the age limit. I had to send a couple of photos of our 20 year old RV to a couple of the time limit resorts. Once they received the photos we were allowed to stay at the resort.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bluhorn wrote:
If you get enough people to follow that rule, if not they will be out of business. I would not stay there.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
10 year rules are virtually every single CG out there. I've seen a HOA around Austin that has a 5 year rule on all cars (anything older gets towed and a $300 "eyesore" fee assessed.)

I'm not surprised at a five year rule in a CG... three years is almost insane, because one barely shakes the bugs out of most RVs in that time frame.