cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no RV parking

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
For furniture moving related reasons, I moved my motorhome to the street yesterday at 1p. I got home from work at 4p, and had a nice (not so much) warning from the police that I was in violation of the law stuck under my windshield. No ticket, just a heads up warning for now I guess... I looked the law up today (not realizing we had such a strict law in our city) and it certainly does appear that as of last year it is literally illegal to park an RV on city streets!

If you go by the letter of the law, I could get a ticket for going to the local 7/11 for a coke on the way out of town. Even if I do have a temporary one day permit for parking in front of my own house! Seems crazy.

Anyway, they are requiring residents to apply for a one day permit every time you want to park on the street to load/unload. This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

The old law was that we could park on the street for 72 hours. I guess the (extremely few) vagrant types were just moving to a different spot every few days, so now we all get this.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
72 REPLIES 72

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
mowermech wrote:
The Lane where we live is a private road. The property lines are along side the lane. there is no HOA, and very few CCRs. Of course, with no HOA, there is no one to enforce the CCRs.
We are free to do whatever we want with our land, as long as we comply with the County rules regarding trash and weeds.
Oh, yeah, we can't have goats, according to the CCRs. But, with no enforcement, it doesn't matter...
Those are some of the reasons we bought the place!

Until someone else moves in and hates your goats and raises a fuss. Then the police will fine you for violating the CCRS even without an HOA. That has happened in many many places.

Not in California. CC&R's are enforceable by HOA, not LEO's. The rules are not laws and as such, the HOA must issue the citation in order for a court judge to recognize the violation. No HOA to plaintive, if a judge ever did get a case, they'd have to rule for the defendant.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons I live in the country far away from stupid rules like this.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech wrote:
The Lane where we live is a private road. The property lines are along side the lane. there is no HOA, and very few CCRs. Of course, with no HOA, there is no one to enforce the CCRs.
We are free to do whatever we want with our land, as long as we comply with the County rules regarding trash and weeds.
Oh, yeah, we can't have goats, according to the CCRs. But, with no enforcement, it doesn't matter...

Until someone else moves in and hates your goats and raises a fuss. Then the police will fine you for violating the CCRS even without an HOA. That has happened in many many places.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you could say I live in a blue state, county and city and the PD here(only an observation on my part)had the city wide no parking RV's for any reason whatsoever removed from the books.

Now we have six or eight ordinances regarding RV parking in specially designated areas and a Fire Department ordinance giving them the power to decide, without ordinance, if parking is unsafe.

The City of Santa Barbara has ordinances that are very strict regarding overnight parking and RVs being used for residences, however, they also have involved the Churches and Businesses in the City in providing overnight parking for homeless and full time RV residents during the night time when the parking is not needed for business purposes. Overnight parking to load and unload by owners is 72 hours and no permit required.

The City is very strict about littering and sanitation and those laws are very strictly enforced. Some call it using common sense and consideration and I think it is fair.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy living with rules and zoning. I prefer tidy to cluttered. JMO. It's a big country, probably somewhere suitable for everyone.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a HOA area but it allows RV storage in the back/side yard behind your fence. One reason we bought there. The few bad apples are why some of us prefer to live in HOA neighborhoods.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU voted for these people?
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I actually do own to the middle of the road and the county is granted an easement 30 feet on either side of that center line. You cannot build on to the easement, you can't plant trees on the easement and there are probably thousands of other things you can't do.

That's how it is in my area. We own to the middle of the road. It does not matter if it's a state, county or local municipality road.
You have no control and, parking can be restricted in front of your house.
But, you are paying tax on the property you can't use. Isn't it great? :B

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure your vehicle registration fees reflect a lower rate due to the restrictions, right? Right.

What if an RV from out of the area parked on the street? How could everyone possibly know all the unique laws such as that one? Who writes the ticket? Must be local police, not CHP? Register vehicle at another, out-of-area address.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a friend whose city has never enforced their 72 hour rule in years. Then a neighbor decided to rent RVs. He parks two to four in front of his house and they block the corner so drivers can barely get through. So people started complaining and now they enforce the 72 hour rule.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much standard law that has been imposed on many California Cities such as mine. You still have 72 hours,you can get 3 one day passes for your 72 consecutive hours and you can get 36 of these a year that is 108 days a year you can park in front of your house.

Here you just go on line get your permit,no paper in the window or anything,I do it if I need to put it out on the street.Never had anyone check on it,the only way they will if someone complains. I do it just in case something happens and the insurance company could say you were illegally parked.

I don't like it and we fought it in city hall and council meetings for more than 3 years, I see that it is only a year old and it was published in your papers for at least 5 days prior,it looks like no one there was watching your city council.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sold our house in Woodburn Oregon and one of the main reasons was that they are now enforcing a 2 day on street parking limit. The home owners association also would not let you park your RV on your property. So for now we are full timers.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
In Seattle, there are areas that are full of people living in all manner of RV's. They've been gradually changing parking regs in some areas, so of turning a blind eye in some so called industrial areas...
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same 1 night permit to buy here, too. Plus one can't buy ahead of time and must visit the police station every day.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.