cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nut backed off ball caused accident

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I was heading up to santa cruz ca. in my 40' american eagle I had my motorcycle in tow on a utility trailer. Before I left I had tighten the nut on the ball with an air impact driver the kind that you take lug nuts off a car or truck it was tight lock washer in place. safety chain hooked up all was good. traveling down the 101 near north Hollywood ca. I saw the trailer jumping in my rear camera as I slowed the trailer let loose breaking the safety chain and hitting another car. what a mess. I have never had this happen before but the nut from the ball was laying there on the freeway. now I am having insurance issues on the trailer and coach it was the vacation from hell and it's not over. The only type of ball I will use from now on is one with a cotter pin going through the bottom of the shaft. Uhaul carries them. Sorry for the sad story but i hope this will help others. I still do not understand why that nut backed off
Tom
63 REPLIES 63

path1
Explorer
Explorer
iamalienru wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I have been towing for a long time and never had anything like this happen before. The Saftey chain came with the trailer and I was only hauling an 800lb bike. The bounce when the trailer let loose must have cut the chain thats all i can think of. I made this post for poeple to know no matter how safe it looks or feels things can happen. double up on the safety chains and make the ball has a cotter pin. Many of you know how to tow properly but maybe someone can get some value out of this post

Your a Good person... bringing attention to something so that others might benefit. Hope all goes well for you.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I have been towing for a long time and never had anything like this happen before. The Saftey chain came with the trailer and I was only hauling an 800lb bike. The bounce when the trailer let loose must have cut the chain thats all i can think of. I made this post for poeple to know no matter how safe it looks or feels things can happen. double up on the safety chains and make the ball has a cotter pin. Many of you know how to tow properly but maybe someone can get some value out of this post
Tom

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
joshuajim wrote:
A couple of drops of RED locktite and you will curse when you try to take it off.
Or just buy a new one if a change is needed.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
A couple of drops of RED locktite and you will curse when you try to take it off.

Heat it with a propane torch, let it cool, comes right off
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

orlandimal
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch! Good thing no one was injured. I have been towing things for 30 years for tens of thousands of miles and never heard of this happening. I have never had a ball nut be even slightly loose and I used to tighten them with channel locks so I am quite sure it was not over 100 lbs torque. I would guess that for those towing bumper pulls it might be something to check at rest/gas stops as I would think it would take a substantial amount of time for a nut to shake its way loose through all those threads.

I also agree that a cotter pin or lock-tite would completely prevent this from happening.
2008 Silverado 2500HD, Z71 off-road, Z85 towing
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS 5th Wheel

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Sorry to read of your trouble. Next time weld the ball on, or the nut to the threads. Been doing it for years. After all, when does anyone change the ball? Even if they did need to, a grinder will cut out the weld.
Nuts will come loose if the hole in the mount is bigger than the ball stem no matter how well torqued. Could that be the cause?

That's a great idea. I've found my nut loose during pre-op checks, and that's with the lock washer in place.

Lock Tight on the threads is another idea, which is what I did, but I'm getting out the MIG before I pull with the bumper again.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Proper sizing and torque would have prevented the accident and saved you a lot of headaches. Take your experience and use it to become more safety concious. Not all impact wrenches are created equal.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
To the OP, thanks for posting this. Looks like you made an expensive mistake and by posting this you may keep others from doing the same thing.

Ditto that...many thanks for the OP for posting and getting the spears
and arrows in the back... :S Hope you stick around

In case folks didn't understand why asked what PSI/age/etc of the
impact gun...is that all air impact guns torque is at a specified
PSI and CFM. Oiled or not too. Over time the gun wears. More so if
not taken care of properly (oiled is the biggie) and will lose it
ability to meet torque spec. All my air tools get oiled before hooking
up and during their use

Some depend on torque sticks, which I have and use, but do NOT trust
them. Recheck with a properly set torque wrench and often find not
up to torque (most likely dirt/grim/etc on the mating surfaces)

Lock washer, nylon slug, etc assumes already tightened to spec. This
kind of 'back up' is no different than wired fasteners on airplanes,
race engines, nuclear plant stuff, military stuff, etc and more etc

All are tightened to spec by trained professionals who either know
what they are doing, or under threat of losing their jobs if they don't
Plus super critical will have a 2nd person double check the torque

Of course not rocket science here, but life and limb is on the line

Some of you 'Farmer Tight' folks have the risk of over tightening and
that then will have the stud and/or nut not able to hold...even at
lesser torque...some will actually get it right...but...how would one
be able to tell?

The way of it is that all things have harmonics (vibration) and either
matches the natural harmonic and/or amplitude so high...as to stretch
the stud to even the threads ever so SLIGHTLY.

The nut can and will back off a bit. Over time, the torque (clamping
force) is no longer able to provide enough clamping force to withstand
lesser vibration & amplitude

Back to the OP...again, say much appreciate your posting for 'some'
who might learn from your near disaster experience.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
RVing since 1995.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Tip the hitch sideways and slide it into the receiver. You don't even need a torque wrench. calculate your weight and length of pipe breaker bar you need and stand on it. 3/4" nut 160 pounds, 1" nut 250 pounds, 1 1/4" nut 450 pounds ft pounds. I personally wouldn't trust any air wrench for torque.

Wow we have some home grown ingenuity how to here. That is what I did when I "torqued" the tractor axle nut on. I was not smart enough on the hitch ball and sat on the ground and had both feet up against the bumper and then proceeded to see if i could turn the breaker bar into a long bow. :S

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
To the OP, thanks for posting this. Looks like you made an expensive mistake and by posting this you may keep others from doing the same thing.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
VintageRacer wrote:
That's why the instructions that come with the ball say to tighten the nut with a torque wrench, not an impact wrench. Totally your fault. Surprised you admit using an impact wrench on that. You have no idea of what torque you are developing with an impact wrench. Depending on the ball size the correct torque is up to 450 ft lbs.

X2 ... proper torquing would most likely prevented this nightmare now facing the OP. A very expensive lesson learned that was totally preventable.

I also agree that there was some problem with the safety chains and their rating, attachment, etc. because they should not have broken.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if U-Haul still sells them or not but they used to have balls that came with a plastic washer that would squeeze out once the correct amount of Torque was reached. I always thought this was a neat way of making sure the ball was torqued correctly, it also had the cotter pin through the shaft as a safety.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Read his post, he had a lock washer.
Sorry your right, didn't read it right.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others. Not tight enough. It probably needed 450 foot pounds and you likely got it to 125 at best.