cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obbessive Compulsive Dumpers?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a big deal and no offense meant but more amusing I guess. Like I sometimes notice do you ever get behind someone at the dump station that seems a bit compulsive. They seem to have all sorts of "accessories" to clean or something and take a long time fooling around with the process. A relative has this thing called a "macerator" which he things is wonderful but I can't, for the life of me, understand why I would need one. I pull up, whip out the sewer hose, fasten and pull the handle. Takes about 4 minutes.
Jayco-noslide
116 REPLIES 116

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I always figured if I was in a hurry,I should've been there 30 minutes before.Last week had a guy say He sure wishes he had got in ahead of me.I pulled in just ahead of him.Made the4 hook up for my kitchen grey tank,dumped and unhooked the hose.Pulled forward to hook back grey and the black. He dang near ran into the back of the 5er.I always back flush 3 times.Didn't take maybe 15 minutes on the dump.They had massive water pressure and didn't take long to fill and dump.I went back to tell him I was about done,he wouldn't even look up from his phone.so be it.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I have a friend that is so obsessive with his "dump" that he won't even take a "dump" in his own camper. He uses the campground toilet and thinks that it's better.

Back when we had our '74 Terry trailer, that was our goal. Back then they came stock with only one tank. If there was a park toilet handy, it got "the big stuff", but we wouldn't shy away from using the onboard toilet if necessity outweighed practicality. With a single tank and a long weekend it could get "aromatic" in a hurry.

I do kinda' miss that our last RV (Fleetwood Terry Quantum fiver) also had a galley tank. Our Class A is grey/black only.

ETA - come to think of it, I think at least two of our other campers only had a single tank for everything - a 1967 13' Shasta Ultralight and the 1982 15' SunLite.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the other end of the OCD spectrum: I watched a guy in Iowa prop up the dump inlet metal cover and then use a 4" PVC pipe cut in half, for the last 5 feet of his dump mechanism, and proceeded to splash brown stuff all over the dump inlet. I got to watch every bit of his weekend toilet activity flow within 30 feet of me, NICE!!! And his kids were watching within 5 feet, gross!! I guess you cant fix stupid, right??
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Yes, I have seen them. I once saw a person that put on one of those white hazmat suits, mask, safety goggles and elbow length green chemical gloves. My wife's Santa Fe style green chili can be used for paint remover, but it is not that toxic. Now, her carne adovada is another story.

did you really see someone get dressed like that!? and if you did do you think their intent was to be funny.:)

Yes I did at Snowy Peaks campground in Buena Vista, Colorado. It was 3 or 4 years ago. Didn't have a camera or cell handy.

years back at galveston, campground on bay side, a Class A pulled up to the dump station. had two inlets, one a standard ground level cap and the other a T fitting about 2-3 ft up. fella got out put on tall boots and oyster shucking above the elbow gloves. proceeded to put his stinky slinky into the high inlet/cleanout/whatever and then opened her up lifting the hose to empty it into the drain. lift, dump, and repeat, etc. etc.
bumpy

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Yes, I have seen them. I once saw a person that put on one of those white hazmat suits, mask, safety goggles and elbow length green chemical gloves. My wife's Santa Fe style green chili can be used for paint remover, but it is not that toxic. Now, her carne adovada is another story.

did you really see someone get dressed like that!? and if you did do you think their intent was to be funny.:)

Yes I did at Snowy Peaks campground in Buena Vista, Colorado. It was 3 or 4 years ago. Didn't have a camera or cell handy.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dump the black tank first, then dump the grey tank to rinse out the sewer hose that I just used to dump the black tank. This procedure is efficient and sanitary. There's no need to make a big deal out of it - only in Robin Williams' movie was it a VERY BIG DEAL.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
. also at dump stations do you really want to fill your water tank using a hose that has been jammed up a stinky slinky?
bumpy
I think poster is being sarcastic.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
2oldman wrote:
My latest encounter with that was at the South La Posa dump station in Quartzsite. Lady in an old beat up C was taking a long time with the not-potable-water hose. As I approached I could see she was filling her fresh water with it. She got pretty upset with me when I told her the fresh water was at the next station. No clue.

Lots of folks are clueless regarding potable vs nonpotable water. If it comes out of a pipe, it's all the same. Water is water is water. Can't fix stupid.

nonsense, was at a campground outside of big bend and hooked up. a fella came running up and stopped me because they had two systems, one only used for irrigation that was non-potable water. also at dump stations do you really want to fill your water tank using a hose that has been jammed up a stinky slinky?
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
, leave your site and go to an empty FHU pull through and dump there.I am fairly certain that it will end up the same place as from a crowded dumping station.
Good idea.

I never see people in a grocery store choosing to get in the longest line.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
My latest encounter with that was at the South La Posa dump station in Quartzsite. Lady in an old beat up C was taking a long time with the not-potable-water hose. As I approached I could see she was filling her fresh water with it. She got pretty upset with me when I told her the fresh water was at the next station. No clue.

Lots of folks are clueless regarding potable vs nonpotable water. If it comes out of a pipe, it's all the same. Water is water is water. Can't fix stupid.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and at home you can just run the hose from macerator to a toilet.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why have a macerator (I use one.... Occasionally)

Sometimes it is a long way to the hole in the ground.. Or in a very few cases actually UP HILL... The macerator handles those occasions well. the 3" not so well.'

The rest of the time I use the 3"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
If I need the added capacity. I deliberately let my tanks mix.
THere is always more room in the black tank. So I will let the full grey tank drain, mix, equalize with the black tank to create more space in the grey tank. I can often get another days usage or a couple of extra showers that way.

I hope you never find yourself standing in brown water in the shower because you miscalculated. I often park where dumping gray water is allowed and I hope my neighbors don't adopt this "combined" method of storing waste water. On the other hand, I suppose the manufacturers could save money by providing a single larger tank for those that prefer this method.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I am able to rinse out my tanks at home, so I don't have to do that at a dump station. But my grey tank seems to take forever to drain... I am usually at the dump station 10ish minutes, maybe more.

I've got no problem waiting in line while someone is dumping... IF they are actively dumping! See someone pull up to the dump station, and then... nothing happens for awhile. Don't know what they are doing in the camper. Then they finally come out, and spend 10 minutes just finding stuff. Then go back into the camper for awhile. Then come out and take 10 minutes to hookup. Then go and talk to someone. Then start dumping. Then vanish for awhile... in the camper? in the camp store? who knows? Then come back and begin an epic rinse out of the tanks. Then a torturous period of time spent putting everything away. Yay! Now they are done! They jump into their camper, and............. nothing! Camper doesn't move for seemingly hours. One time I walked up to a camper sitting in front of me at the dump station and saw the guy going over his route map after he was done dumping... I asked him if he was done dumping, and he said "Yep!" and then went back to looking at his map. I just went back to my truck and waited... lol!

If I see someone taking forever to dump, but they are doing their best, I will wait patiently forever after asking if they need a hand.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
My current trailer I can dump and run. I did have a KZ Spree that had a long-flat black tank that was a PITA to dump. It took forever and the only way to get it to empty completely was using the tank rinser and fill the tank a couple times. If someone pulled in behind me I would walk back explain and apologize for being so slow. I'm sure several just thought I was an idiot and inconsiderate.