cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old knees and trailer steps

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a question - but I'm sharing something I've discovered.

I am no spring chicken, and I have noticed my knees really start to bother me after I've been busying making multiple trips in/out of the TT whether it's to load, unload.. clean after a trip.. whatever. My knees (mostly my right knee) feel fatigued, unstable and became annoyingly painful. I'm not in terrible shape, but that activity seems to be putting an unexpected stress on my knees (we have 3 steps up). I always ended up taking a few days of anti-inflammatories to settle things back down.

So, last spring I purchased 2 "Mueller Jumpers Knee Straps". You can find them for $6 - $10 bucks at various stores. TALK ABOUT A KNEE SAVER!! They stay up, don't slide around and I forget I even have them on they are so comfortable. Now, I put them on prior to my in/out chores in the TT and the issues are completely GONE.

Our neighbor commented to me that she was really having knee issues after they went on a trip late summer. So, I mentioned these straps to her. After suffering for awhile she tried one, and even she reports that her knee is feeling WAY better with the use of the strap during her recovery period. She's sold and is purchasing 2 to keep in her rig.

So.. I'm just sharing a tip that appears to be very helpful. If you have not had some specific injury causing the pain, but your knees seem to be an issue for you try one (or two) of those knee straps. You might be VERY surprised at the stability these simple straps give to your knees when making lots of trips up/down/in/out of the camper stairs.

Mueller's Jumper Knee Support

*I'm not affiliated with Mueller on any levels - just have had such great luck with these straps that I wanted to pass that little discovery on*
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)
37 REPLIES 37

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
OKKKK....

All you folks have had enough time to be wearing your "knee straps" for awhile.

A couple have checked in with good results. How about the rest of you?

Are they helping??

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
I have osteoarthritis in the left knee. After trying all sorts of other things like braces, wraps, injections, and pain medication to cover it up, I found what has been working for me. A bicycle. I ride 2 miles a day for at least 2 days per week. The pain subsides to about 10% of what it was. If I don't ride for a week, the pain starts coming back. Get on the bike again, pain goes away for a few days. There are a lot of metropark bike trails and converted rails-to-trails around here, I'll see new scenery for a while yet.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Read your post, ordered them for my DW. She says they help her a lot. Thanks DB.

RT

Bamabound
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to know it's just not me that hurts due to this. Thanks for the info!

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
I tell ya... this makes my day!! Sooo happy folks are trying this out! As I mentioned I have two sets now. I keep a pair in the TT and a pair in the house JUST on the outside chance we were to take off and I forgot them. Those little straps really did work miracles for me!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the left knee last summer at which time the ortho surgeon offered to replace my knee. After declining and going for a second opinion I opted for the fluid injection treatments offered by the Kentucky Osteo Institute in Lexington. They xray the knee and do an interview/exam to determine if one is a candidate for the injections. I'm happy to report after completing the series of 5 injections over a five week schedule with additional PT my knee pain has gone from causing me to limp with every step to almost NONE. Don't misunderstand, I still have pain especially when rising form being seated for several minutes but after straightening the leg and taking a couple of steps the pain is gone. In two weeks I go for a follow up to find out if I get to start running and walking for distance again. Find whatever gives you the most relief and go for it!! Good luck to all of us. Thanks to the OP for being a really good friend. :B

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I thought these things would be a joke, but picked up a pair to try due to the price being so reasonable. I have had them on 6 hours and to my surprise, no knee pain during my daily routine. So far I am very pleased with this product and totally amazed that such a simple and inexpensive item could help eliminate my constant knee pain. Thanks.

Lakeside

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
Just another progress report. DH was scheduled for outpatient surgery today. They ran into some complications. Surgery went longer than expected and he had to be admitted to the hospital. He'll be okay but I really did a ton of walking/driving/stair-climbing, etc. Thank Goodness, I had the knee strap on. I got thru the day, PAIN-FREE!. I know that before I got the strap, I would have been limping and hurting after all that running around. It's a cheap enough, easy to use item, that I think is really a life-saver. If you have symptoms as I have described in previous posts, you should give it a try!

So happy to read this!! I hope people will try this. Seriously.. the straps are between $7-$10 depending on where you find them. If you think they don't work.. keep your receipt and return them!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Just another progress report. DH was scheduled for outpatient surgery today. They ran into some complications. Surgery went longer than expected and he had to be admitted to the hospital. He'll be okay but I really did a ton of walking/driving/stair-climbing, etc. Thank Goodness, I had the knee strap on. I got thru the day, PAIN-FREE!. I know that before I got the strap, I would have been limping and hurting after all that running around. It's a cheap enough, easy to use item, that I think is really a life-saver. If you have symptoms as I have described in previous posts, you should give it a try!

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Great Go Dogs! Keep wearing it.. you'll get more and more relief as the tendons settle back down. I keep mine on my dresser and if I think for one minute I'm going to abuse my knee(s) I just put it/them on and don't look back. In the past two weeks I've actually stopped wearing mine on our morning walks. I've had no problems. Today we worked in the TT (finalizing the winterizing). I wore my knee straps when going in and out - when done I took them off. Tonight.. not one zinger coming from either knee.

Good for you!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Well. I've been wearing this strap for 2 days. I've even purposely did some things that I knew would bother my knee. The verdict? It does really help. When I took it off at night, I can feel some 'shifting' in the muscles and tendons. So, I'm happy.Thanks!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still waiting for delivery! Hopefully, Saturday. I added another one to the order, and it will take longer.
Another odd symptom that I experienced. My left knee flares up, especially with camping trips. Seems to be related to repeated trips up the steps getting prepared to go. We have a 'short queen' bed in the TT. When my knee is bad, I can't lay on my stomach in the TT. I have to put a folded blanket between my shin and the sheet, as I can't extend my left knee flat enough.
My right knee never gives me a bit of trouble, and I'm pretty sure it's been everywhere that the left one has!
I looked up 'Jumper's Knee', as it sounds as if it might be what I have. Looking forward to trying these knee straps.
I will report back!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Chopat one that I bought 18 years ago when I was still running regularly. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at age 52 I ran until age 55. When I bought the MH 3 years later I could only sit with my knee bent for 30 mins without pain then I had to extend my knee to the top of the dog house to relieve the pain. I raised my seat to help straighten out my leg which helps. I think the strap helps when the pain is from tendons rubbing when you walk however it did not seem to help knee arthritis pain when sitting for long periods. At least that is my experience.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like it might really work for me. Come on Amazon! I have been dealing with this off and on for about 5 years. One camping trip, I had to use a cane! I can't believe this forum-imagine getting help like this on a internet forum. Thank you!