cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion needed if you've owned a TT and a FW

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
If you've owned a FW and a TT which one do you like better and why? In your opinion is one easier then the other to back up and hook up.
72 REPLIES 72

APT
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
APT wrote:
The cost of a premium 5er recevier is $2000-3000, same as premium WDH for TTs. Both can be made to tow very well. Consider other reasons like use of truck bed, steps, space, floorplan, storage, cost of similar TT vs. 5er, etc way above how it can tow.

Not everyone needs to spend $2000-3000 on a 5th hitch. But you do need to spend that much for a Hensley or Propride if you want to try and match how a 5th wheel tows. My B&W Patriot cost $400.00. $250 to have the bed rails installed. It's about as simple as you can get to hitch and unhitch. Even if I went with a nicer hitch it would only be $700-900.00 + $250.00 for install plus $200.00 or so for rails. $1350.00 for a premium hitch. I have $800.00 in mine. A Reese WD or EQ will run $450-550.00. So At the bare minimum setting up a 5'er hitch is only $250-350.00 more. But since we don't know what size 5'er the OP wants we don't know what size 5th hitch he needs. The heavier the 5'er the bigger the hitch.

Understood and agreed. My point is that when planning to spend $40k+ on a TV and $20k+ on an RV, the towing experience is not significant enough to prioritize a TT or 5er.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
APT wrote:
The cost of a premium 5er recevier is $2000-3000, same as premium WDH for TTs. Both can be made to tow very well. Consider other reasons like use of truck bed, steps, space, floorplan, storage, cost of similar TT vs. 5er, etc way above how it can tow.

Not everyone needs to spend $2000-3000 on a 5th hitch. But you do need to spend that much for a Hensley or Propride if you want to try and match how a 5th wheel tows. My B&W Patriot cost $400.00. $250 to have the bed rails installed. It's about as simple as you can get to hitch and unhitch. Even if I went with a nicer hitch it would only be $700-900.00 + $250.00 for install plus $200.00 or so for rails. $1350.00 for a premium hitch. I have $800.00 in mine. A Reese WD or EQ will run $450-550.00. So At the bare minimum setting up a 5'er hitch is only $250-350.00 more. But since we don't know what size 5'er the OP wants we don't know what size 5th hitch he needs. The heavier the 5'er the bigger the hitch.

Good to know.

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Great info on this thread for those like me that don't know the difference.

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
APT wrote:

Not everyone needs to spend $2000-3000 on a 5th hitch. But you do need to spend that much for a Hensley or Propride if you want to try and match how a 5th wheel tows. My B&W Patriot cost $400.00. $250 to have the bed rails installed. It's about as simple as you can get to hitch and unhitch. Even if I went with a nicer hitch it would only be $700-900.00 + $250.00 for install plus $200.00 or so for rails. $1350.00 for a premium hitch. I have $800.00 in mine. A Reese WD or EQ will run $450-550.00. So At the bare minimum setting up a 5'er hitch is only $250-350.00 more. But since we do
n't know what size 5'er the OP wants we don't know what size 5th hitch he needs. The heavier the 5'er the bigger the hitch.

We are probably looking at a 30 footer weighing about 7700 lbs.

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
"Ever wonder why people say we upgraded or stepped up to a 5er? There are many reasons. One biggie is with the TV matched to the 5er it is a very stress free experience."

Well stated - from a guy who has had 3 T T's and on second 5er. Leave Friday for 10 weeks and some 3600 towing miles.

Have a great safe trip.

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Weeluvdis wrote:
USAFBILL wrote:
5th wheel, much safer on the road IMO

I know people will disagree but I feel like every time I see a broken down camper when traveling or read something about an accident for me, it's always a TT. My husband broke his ankle and after a month of laying around he wanted to go camping. Against my better judgement we went. I had a very hard time doing the things he does to hook up the TT and also didn't know how to do them although I watched him do it for a year. We bought our first camper (TT) last year. We never looked at FW because of price. I'm starting to wish we got a FW.

Usually the people that have never towed a 5er will say the TT tows just as good with the proper setup.

I totally disagree. To "handle" a TT you need some mass on the ground to control the sway that there TT's will give.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Ever wonder why people say we upgraded or stepped up to a 5er? There are many reasons. One biggie is with the TV matched to the 5er it is a very stress free experience.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A FW puts more weight onto the towing vehicle than a TT does, so traction and stability of the tow vehicle would be better pulling a FW in cross-wind, or wet, or sleet, or snow conditions.

Also, a FW more evenly distributes it's weight onto the towing vehicle than a TT does (especially good if you use a 4X4 or all wheel drive tow vehicle) - unless you use expensive weight-equalizing hitches for a TT, which must be disabled when traversing off-highway on any roads with dips in them. A FW does not have any off-highway road dip problems using just it's standard tow vehicle hitch arrangement ... offering much more flexibility and convenience in a hassle-free ready-for-anything package.

We RV with a small Class C motorhome, but if we were to ever tow it would be a short FW - in the 26 to 27 foot range.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Drew_K wrote:
For those who say hooking up the 5th wheel is easier than a TT, can you elaborate? I've only owned my current TT so I don't have any point of reference.

Personally, I find the TT pretty easy to hook up BUT I also have a backup camera, so getting aligned with the ball is pretty easy.

Having owned both...

Getting to the ball (TT) or on the pin (5er) is about the same...most say easier bc you can "see" the pin. But with your camera you have the same effect.

But with the 5er you're basically done at that point. The jaws/bar slams shut (I add a lock to keep them so) secure your breakaway and umbilical and go. No WD bars to mess with, etc. For me, that (WD) was minor....but the process is still faster with 5er
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
For those who say hooking up the 5th wheel is easier than a TT, can you elaborate? I've only owned my current TT so I don't have any point of reference.

Personally, I find the TT pretty easy to hook up BUT I also have a backup camera, so getting aligned with the ball is pretty easy.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
"Ever wonder why people say we upgraded or stepped up to a 5er? There are many reasons. One biggie is with the TV matched to the 5er it is a very stress free experience."

Well stated - from a guy who has had 3 T T's and on second 5er. Leave Friday for 10 weeks and some 3600 towing miles.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weeluvdis wrote:
USAFBILL wrote:
5th wheel, much safer on the road IMO

I know people will disagree but I feel like every time I see a broken down camper when traveling or read something about an accident for me, it's always a TT. My husband broke his ankle and after a month of laying around he wanted to go camping. Against my better judgement we went. I had a very hard time doing the things he does to hook up the TT and also didn't know how to do them although I watched him do it for a year. We bought our first camper (TT) last year. We never looked at FW because of price. I'm starting to wish we got a FW.

Usually the people that have never towed a 5er will say the TT tows just as good with the proper setup.

I totally disagree. To "handle" a TT you need some mass on the ground to control the sway that there TT's will give.

Ever wonder why people say we upgraded or stepped up to a 5er? There are many reasons. One biggie is with the TV matched to the 5er it is a very stress free experience.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
My TT's have been much easier to back up.

The 5th wheels have been simpler to hook up.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OOps, double post. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3