cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Other Uses for a Bottle Jack

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so when we purchase our RVs a lot of us went out and bought a bottle jack, just in case, hoping to never have to use it. We tossed it in a storage compartment and have been shuffling it around ever since. Has anyone come up with any unique or unusual uses for the darn things. A door stop or boat anchor immediatly comes to mind.
Today, I was installing a new sink vanity and wall cabnets in our master bathroom. I needed a way to lift the wall cabnets into place, while fastening them to the wall. The bottle jack with a spacer underneath and a 2 X 6 across the top worked perfectly. It turned a two man operation into something a one armed man could do.
Anyone else find a unique use for their useless bottle jack?

EDIT Ok, at the suggestion of RANDU, change that useless to "under used". ๐Ÿ™‚ Wait a minute, if it is used less, of course it's under used.
34 REPLIES 34

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
There are so many uses for a bottle jack, but the last few decades have made it hard to find a quality bottle jack.
US Jack manufacturer isn't cheap.

Agreed, we use them on the farm a lot. The new ones require a million pumps just to get them to go up a couple of inches. We finally broke down and bought a air over hydraulic bottle jack. It still takes a million pumps but, now we just hook it to the air compressor line and hold down on the button and it pumps itself. It was a cheaply made thing too. We had to take it apart and oil it completely before it would work.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many uses for a bottle jack, but the last few decades have made it hard to find a quality bottle jack.
US Jack manufacturer isn't cheap.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
How about pressing open a injection molding machine with failed hydraulics in order to remove to the mold to another machine to keep production going?
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine to compress the belt tensioner on my car.

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget the jack that comes with your truck! Mine has worked great for changing TT tires and doing maintenance like greasing. A big plus - it has the extra long rods for spinning up and down; No need to get under the TT to work the jack.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I use mine to hold the end of the stinky slinky in the dump hole in those CGs that don't provide a rock.

Brillant idea:B Would never have come up with that unique use.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
fidhleir wrote:
I had a flat tire. Got out the bottle of Jack. The tire's still flat but now I really don't care!

Golly, if you were a real die hard there is a way to break the bead of a tire using a bottle jack and then you pry the tire off of the rim with some bars and big screw drivers and fix the flat yourself.

I'm not going to do it but, it's been done.

Maybe you didn't read carefully - but in case you did -

"fidhleir" - has a better plan......die happy!..:W

~

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
That little bottle jack has been used for a number of things - jacking up floors to add support beams, busting bearings loose, moving trailer sidewalls back in place with a little help from a chain, and of course:

Many many times.
In addition to lots of other tasks I've long forgotten.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
fidhleir wrote:
I had a flat tire. Got out the bottle of Jack. The tire's still flat but now I really don't care!

Golly, if you were a real die hard there is a way to break the bead of a tire using a bottle jack and then you pry the tire off of the rim with some bars and big screw drivers and fix the flat yourself.

I'm not going to do it but, it's been done.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a crack on a cabinet underside. Used the 12T bottle jack to support it while the glue dried.

Bent the tailgate by hitting the kingpin. Used a combination of lumber, bottle jack & weight of the trailer kingpin to straighten the tailgate back pretty close to new.

Got stuck on a wet hayfield at Oskosh Air Adventure. Used lumber & bottle jack to lift rear of the truck, with trailer, & slide boards under rear wheels to have traction & get on firm ground.

Actually have used the thing to lift the trailer for wheel rotation, shock changes, brake drum changes, spring stack changes, anything else that I can find a use for it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I compared the price of a bottle of jack to a bottle jack. I ended up with the bottle of jack and haven't figured out why I would ever need the bottle jack.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I'm glad I re-read the question. On first reading, I thought it said "bottle OF jack" and I was going to say "drink it."

:B :B :B
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I re-read the question. On first reading, I thought it said "bottle OF jack" and I was going to say "drink it."
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.