cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Parking Restrictions - Santa Cruz, CA

baldcamper
Explorer
Explorer
RV Parking restrictions coming up see item 7 Transportation and Public Works Commission Meeting
• Date: 11/17/2014 7:00 PM
809 Center Street
Santa Cruz, California 95060 http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/home/showdocument?id=41012

Email the commission: scollins@cityofsantacruz.com and fwarren@cityofsantacruz.com

Good Sam Club
Parking Rights Council
parkingrights@goodsamclub
"It's never to late to have a happy childhood"
Terry & Betty Minger
Past Tennessee State Director
The Good Sam Club
2004 HR Scepter
26 REPLIES 26

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
There is a dump station at the gas station at 1500 Soquel Drive in Santa Cruz. Costs $10 to dump there which is exactly why some people are dumping in the gutter. They don't want to pay the $10. There are also several full service RV parks in the area and many state parks with RV sites. I'm sure Santa Cruz would love having people use those sites versus trying to camp on the street.

What I do find humorous about what Santa Cruz is doing is they are the ones with the liberal policies that encourage homelessness and vagrants. Then when they get those homeless and vagrant people they try and pass laws like this to get rid of them. You know good and well the problems they are having are not with the average RVer like the people on this board. The problems they are having are with the people who have managed to buy a motorhome for $100 out of some field, and get it running long enough to get to the beach where they sit for days or weeks at a time. The want to live in their RV on the street because they don't have rules like the shelters have, yet they can still go get their free food and EBT cards and all the other handouts people in Santa Cruz give to the homeless.

Ding, ding, ding.......winner chicken dinner

Yep.

Santa Cruz does not encourage homelessness. What a stupid thing to say. They are unusual in that they do not make it criminal to be homeless which is done in most parts of the country. When you consider that half the homeless are veterans then it is bullcrap to talk about supporting the troops while they are overseas and fighting for benefit of the oil companies and then want to lock them up when their PTSD and other disabilities put them on the street.

We are the most un-Christian country on the planet and the most hypocritical. Some people have no sense of shame.

Must be a liberal since you have to start calling people "stupid" right off the bat. Yes, Santa Cruz encourages homelessness and no half the people who are homeless are not vets. A lot of homeless say they are vets, but they are not, they are liars and scam artists.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
They don't want to camp on the beach between high and low tide, water-bug. They want to camp on streets in front of people's houses or businesses or on private property. Studies have shown that over 60% of these people are on drugs or booze and as many as 25% of them are mentally ill. Probably some overlap. But these are not people one wants camping out 50 feet from ones front door or in ones back yard.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:

Why do some people think that if they happen to want to be in attractive areas they can't afford that everyone else owes them the ability to be there?

It's probably because the land between the high tide line and the low tide line is public property, as are the entire Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Why do people of means feel that they have the right to control public property, just because they own land adjacent to it?

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
There is a dump station at the gas station at 1500 Soquel Drive in Santa Cruz. Costs $10 to dump there which is exactly why some people are dumping in the gutter. They don't want to pay the $10. There are also several full service RV parks in the area and many state parks with RV sites. I'm sure Santa Cruz would love having people use those sites versus trying to camp on the street.

What I do find humorous about what Santa Cruz is doing is they are the ones with the liberal policies that encourage homelessness and vagrants. Then when they get those homeless and vagrant people they try and pass laws like this to get rid of them. You know good and well the problems they are having are not with the average RVer like the people on this board. The problems they are having are with the people who have managed to buy a motorhome for $100 out of some field, and get it running long enough to get to the beach where they sit for days or weeks at a time. The want to live in their RV on the street because they don't have rules like the shelters have, yet they can still go get their free food and EBT cards and all the other handouts people in Santa Cruz give to the homeless.

Yep.

Santa Cruz does not encourage homelessness. What a stupid thing to say. They are unusual in that they do not make it criminal to be homeless which is done in most parts of the country. When you consider that half the homeless are veterans then it is bullcrap to talk about supporting the troops while they are overseas and fighting for benefit of the oil companies and then want to lock them up when their PTSD and other disabilities put them on the street.

We are the most un-Christian country on the planet and the most hypocritical. Some people have no sense of shame.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought twice about this issue until we bought a house on what became a major beach access road. Seasonal beach bums parked in front of houses, blocking driveways, leaving trash, dumping down the storm drain, walking away with tools or lawn chairs, generally being a darned nuisance. Along the barrier islands, they took up parking spaces in front of businesses or snuck into private parkinglots or access points and made the same general nuisance of themselves.

Why do some people think that if they happen to want to be in attractive areas they can't afford that everyone else owes them the ability to be there?

BTW, most rv's can go 2 or 3 days without needing to dump. Why would a city that does not want people camping there in rv's encourage them to do so by installing a dump station? The city wants rv'ers to move on so others can enjoy the limited parking spaces and not hog the spaces. As for being to cheap to pay the $10 to dump every 2 or 3 days, that takes gall. I hope anyone with that attitude gets a big, fat ticket that adjusts their attitude.

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

Yep.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Only time I ever got a parking ticket as an out of country tourist was in Santa Cruz...

My counterpoint: We got a parking ticket up in Vancouver, BC years ago. At the time we had a 37 foot fifth wheel, pulled by an F450 crew cab truck. We were parked in a local RV park and wanted to eat at a local restaurant, and then see a movie so we found a shopping center that had the restaurant we wanted,, and a movie theater. They had a large parking structure and signs prominently displayed that stated "OVERSIZE VEHICLES USE UPPER LEVEL PARKING" - the only problem was that they also had other signs, again prominently displayed that stated "LOW CLEARANCE: 1.8M". Knowing that my truck was almost 7' tall I parked where I knew I would fit and we left a large note on the windshield explaining why we were parked there. We returned to find a parking ticket, placed right over the note we left. When we got home we sent a letter to the address on the ticket, with photos to document everything, and explained that we were not going to pay the ticket - we never heard anything from them, and it's been at least 10 years since we were there.

Bottom line: will we ever return to Vancouver? Probably - I've got family there.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jagtech wrote:
Only time I ever got a parking ticket as an out of country tourist was in Santa Cruz; They'll never see me again. Here in Alberta most municipalities won't parking ticket a tourist from out of state or province. We want them to stick around and spend money, not get mad and leave!
So long, Santa Cruz! You lose.

Do you seriously think that anyone in Santa Cruz gives a tinker's damn as to whether you enter the city limits? Get real.

I find it hard to understand the sense of entitlement of some people who think they are special and can make a nuisance of themselves as they travel with no regard for others. Grow up.

KevinBenny
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like very attractive and affordable.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have taken the RV to Santa Cruz many times. The solution is simple. Stay in an RV park and drive your toad into town. Never had the desire to park the RV down on West Cliff Drive. Much better drive in the road.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
It seems the real problem is contained in this line:

staff confirmed a small number of cases of illegal discharge from recreational vehicles (RV) into storm drains;

LINK

The report goes on to state that they could find NO RV dump stations within the city limits. So, ALL RVers should be punished for the misbehavior of "a small number of cases", even after the city acknowledged that there were no appropriate dump facilities within the city. Seems that the appropriate action should be a municipal dump station, with appropriate fees.

EDIT. The illegal dumping is just a smoke screen to further an agenda. Santa Cruz and Santa Cruz County want your tourist dollars but not you. They have had a 3% cap on growth for over 40 years. They have capped growth and then complain of over crowding, lack of parking, lack of facilities etc. and then blame it on the tourists, that are the towns livelyhood.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
It seems the real problem is contained in this line:

staff confirmed a small number of cases of illegal discharge from recreational vehicles (RV) into storm drains;

LINK
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club