cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our summer trip just went down a hole!

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer

After several years of agonizing about it, we finally decided to fill in our swimming pool this year.
We haven't used it in several years since we were on the road most of the time when the water was warm enough to be inviting.
It was the right decision, but it means we won't be going anywhere this summer. What funds weren't already used to have the pool filled in will be going for grass and bushes. etc.
That means I'm going to be depending on you for this year's travel fix.
PLEASE post trip reports - with lots of pictures.
Thanks,
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
26 REPLIES 26

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
Just for fun, call your insurance agent and find out how much your homeowner's premiums go down if you permanently fill the pool in. In the insurance business, a pool is considered "an attractive nuisance". Google "attractive nuisance" and read.

My mother's insurance is about an extra $12/year (that's not a typo) due to her pool.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Umm, if you float the pool, then it has to be removed. So you've defeated the purpose. If you leave it with the water in it, then you'll be running a mosquito factory in the backyard.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I don't get why anyone would fill in the pool and not just leave it as-is.

If you completely drain a pool, you risk floating it. Meaning it will physically rise out of the ground. The pressure exerted on it from water in the ground is strong enough to float it on top of the ground water.

-Michael

so what? How is that a bad thing when you are deciding you don't want the thing anyway?

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, closer to home - presuming there are places close. (Not familiar with TX - only time I have been there was when I was working and all I saw was the inside of airports).

If you get bored and want to see the pix you can always go to http://www.laurenbarbara.com/Wanderings.html

Look at it this way, you are not missing out due to serious health problems or rv issues or such. Last fall we had to turn around on our first day of a planned 42 fall trip to CO & UT due to mechanical issues. Count your blessings! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
I don't get why anyone would fill in the pool and not just leave it as-is.

If you completely drain a pool, you risk floating it. Meaning it will physically rise out of the ground. The pressure exerted on it from water in the ground is strong enough to float it on top of the ground water.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
You filled in the pool because during swim season you were traveling. Now that you filled in the pool you won't be traveling. That is too funny! :B

I agree. Life is a real drag, isn't it? :h

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You filled in the pool because during swim season you were traveling. Now that you filled in the pool you won't be traveling. That is too funny! :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun, call your insurance agent and find out how much your homeowner's premiums go down if you permanently fill the pool in. In the insurance business, a pool is considered "an attractive nuisance". Google "attractive nuisance" and read.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
While landscaping you could build an a-one fire pit with seating around it for that backyard camping feeling. A friend who sometimes camps with me worked at a paper mill and they had left over curved fire brick from a smoke stack there. They were going to get rid of them since they were sittnng around a long time. He asked if he could have them. He took them home and used them to make an 8 foot walled in ground fire pit, landscaped around it and added some benches. Seems the brick was exactly the right curve and fit for an 8 foot circle.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
If you have enough room, invite other RV friends to bring their unit and spend work weekends. Fun working, eating, campfire and maybe a few drinks togetherness . Lots of fun for everyone and friends usually want to help other friends. We would help if we were closer. The sooner you get done the sooner you can have fun with them at CG's.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were looking at houses a pool was going to be put in after we bought. well we found our current house with existing 21ft above ground pool and attached deck. I cannot imagine not having a pool. they are not that much maint. and I`ve had it now for 13 years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get why anyone would fill in the pool and not just leave it as-is. Perhaps build a deck over it if concerned someone might fall in or something.
Or how about building a barn or shop over it and using the pool as the basement for storage.

Maybe build a ramp over it so you could use it to work on your RV from underneath.

A fish farm for home grown food.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Invite some friends along. Share the experience and expenses.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
I fix enough pools to know I don't want one. I prefer my trees.