cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting Fender Skirts

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't decide on a more appropriate forum. Feel free to move.

Since my solid plastic spare cover is bubbling/peeling and fading, I thought I'd like to paint it. Then since new, I've always felt the trailer would look great if the lower areas were painted the same colour as my truck instead of purple.

So the question is, what is the proper way to prep the plastic cover, fender skirts and other moulded plastic pieces for paint?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision
5 REPLIES 5

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Krylon Fusion works surprisingly well.

X10
Krylon Fusion is the IMHO the only product that goes on in one coat, dries in seconds and lasts 'forever'.

I did a friend of mines TT. I spray painted each and every plastic part that had turned yellow. When done the TT looked like brand new just by painting all the yellow parts! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
So the question is, what is the proper way to prep the plastic cover, fender skirts and other moulded plastic pieces for paint?

I use an oxidation remover like Jasco Prepaint Conditioner and a medium 3M synthetic scrub pad. After the scrubbing, a rinse. Depending on what type of plastic, I'll use a plastic adhesion enhancer and/or a good primer. That is followed by the finish coats. A final finish coat of high solids clearcoat is going to keep your paint on the plastic. The coats of paint are thin so that any abrasion could mean a scratch totally through the paint. The clearcoat helps to avoid that.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I scrub with soap/water, rinse well and let dry thoroughly. I like regular rust oleum much better than fusion. Then I use rustoleum clear coat and that prevents the uv fading.Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Krylon Fusion works surprisingly well.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
you tube. How to paint plastic.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V