cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting roof What to use?

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been talked about 100000 times. But one last time.Going to scrub roof the best I can then put eternabond tape on all seams then paint the roof ( Tired of the white chalking running down the sides. So Wash, Wipe with assitone, apply tape, then paint roof. Now the big question?? What would you to paint the foof? I was told by one person He used Blackjack 1000, from Lowe's. What would you use? or what did you use? Want to get it right the first time' Just tired of the wite chalking down the sides of the RV.
97 REPLIES 97

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
x4 for edpm. I not only took off the AC, I built up the perimeter of the 14 inch square hole by 5/8 inch. I pulled the staples that secure the rubber roof around the hole and gently lifted the rubber about 3 inches back from the edge of the hole. I used 5/8 x 3 in stock, tapered it at a 60 degree angle. Resulting in 5/8 x 1 inch riser tapering down to 0 at 3 inches. I fabricated this material all the way around the hole using contact glue and staples. I then reattached the rubber roof over the new riser around the hole using contact cement. Then I applied the EDPM to the entire roof. I was told by EDPM techs that the EDPM would not adhere well to the slick white topping on the endurabond tape. They recommended to apply contact cement to the endurabond to make it tacky. Also where I overlapped the front and rear cap by 1/2 inch to scuff the trim and fiberglass with 50 grit paper to increase adhesion.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

BBdawg
Explorer
Explorer
oops - double post

BBdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Great Job Barney, the roof looks great. I am anxious to get my TT back from the dealer and see what roof repairs they did. I was looking at the EPDM liquid rubber as someone on here had recommended to me as long term DIY fix. As the dealer offered to repair the roof, I am waiting for their result. We are really anxious as I don't really know what to expect.
I actually stopped by this thread to look at your "collapsible" ladder in action, as you had mentioned in Anyone install a ladder on their TT?.

Great Job and Good Luck

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job! Now, let it rain, let it rain, no more chance of a leak.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did not have any air bubbles. The bubbles that I did have seemed to be the rubber membrane itself softening and raising up. They all went away nicely though.

The drips just peeled up - once I got the end started, which was not hard.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
A few things:
  • Looks really well sealed
  • I see all the air bubbles are now gone
  • How did you remove the drips? How well were they bonded to the sides?
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
John,
The recommended thickness was 20 mills which was supposed to come out to about 40 sq. ft per gallon. I used just about all of my 5 gallons for my 30 foot trailer so, minus the roof openings, it came out just about right. I would say mine is about 20 mills thick.
I do have some areas that could be measured as you can see in my two end cap pictures the tape line but I have no way of measuring it.

Interesting note. I have a couple of pieces that dripped down and then cured. Those pieces are really and truly rubber. I can stretch them just like a rubber band (after I removed them).
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow Barney, Looks Great!!! It sure looks sealed up tight.

Out of curiosity any idea on how thick it ended up being? Maybe some edge that you masked shows a thickness?

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is what my roof looks like now. You can also see how it is possible to paint the Liquid Roof material up around stanchions and other things like antennas etc. Please forgive the couple of bugs that decided to stick around for the duration of my trailers life. :R
Barney

Overall view, morning dew shows through.

Front cap. The bubbles that were there on the edge are gone.

Radio antenna. I painted right over the Eternabond Tape.

Rear cap.

Ladder stanchion.
Not towing now.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I left everything in place, just used plenty of Dicor around them and let dry a few days. Got around the AC and a little under it. tat roof is not going anywhere for a long time or at least as long as I want to own that TT. Just do it.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
kjk66ss wrote:
Barney,
what do you do when you get to the AC unit, Vents and all the other items that mount to the roof?

I removed my two vent covers but left the air conditioner in place. After "cutting in" around the vents and all the other items up there I replaced the covers before doing the rest of the roof. By removing the covers, I was able to extend the rubber coating up on the vent framing.
The rubber roof under the air conditioner looked ok and the gasket didn't leak so I didn't want to disturb it by removing the unit.
Barney
Not towing now.

kjk66ss
Explorer
Explorer
Barney,
what do you do when you get to the AC unit, Vents and all the other items that mount to the roof?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
John,
The finish looks almost identical to when the trailer was new, maybe a bit smoother. It does not feel like it should be particularly slippery but, of course, I have not been up on it yet.
Have no idea if it will be less prone to black streaks but would sure be nice if it did. :B
Barney
Not towing now.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Barney,

Is the surface finish any smoother/slicker as opposed to the matt type finish of non slick on the original?

Wonder if dirt stick and black streaks will be less? If it would that would be a nice bonus.

Keep us posted.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It has been 11 days since I did my roof with the Liquid Rubber. The roof now has an eggshell appearance and all the bubbles have disappeared. There are still a few shiny spots under the Fantastic Fan overhangs and on the edge of the roof on the shady side. Those spots will probably continue to cure and turn like the rest of the roof has with a bit more time. I am very happy with the results! :B
Barney
Not towing now.