cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parts of Detroit under water

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Stay clear of the Detroit area for a couple of days. Large parts of the Interstate and a lot of the secondary roads closed due to severe flooding yesterday. Coming from Canada or going go to the Blue Water Bridge using I-69 and US-23 to bypass Detroit. Some areas were parking lots last night with vehicle stalled out.
15 REPLIES 15

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if a pipeline from Detroit to California would accomplish a couple of things:

1) Bring a lot more income into Detroit.

AND

2) Bring a lot more water into CA reservoirs, wells, and springs.

Detroiters never had it so good. I'm having water trucked in for our stick house at $$$ per load. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised in Detroit, moved out 30 years ago. Sorry to hear about the problems they are having, my mother's old house was in Warren and I guess they really got hit hard with flooding. But I still shake my head at the city and the people. Stolen pipes, trash in the street, etc... Then you go over the bridge into Winsor where everything is nice, clean, safe, and orderly.

Like I say "Detroit is a great place TO BE FROM." ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That too I suspects.... That too.. Some of thoe copper thieves are kind of bold.

IN fact one or two have earned Darwin Awards..... You see, they tried to steal power lines.. High tension transmission lines (not the drops to the house but the pole to pole wires) and ..... the wires were LIVE at the time.

Result: Flash fried Darwin winner.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I was a State Police dispatcher in Detroit for 25 years.. This is the 2nd time in my memory this has happened.. First time shut down parts of the system for days.. Folks where yammering about how the freeways (We called them Ditches since they are dug down for sound control) were designed to drain into the river if it flooded (not at all true in case anyone is wondering, that was NOT a design consideration and it is NOT how it works when this happens).

The problem is a combination of two or sometimes 3 things

Trash blocks the drain grates This is due to littering, and "Blow off" from trucks (Epically garbage haulers) and such preventing proper draining.

And in a really super soaker of a storm the pump houses . Just can not pump fast enough.

Add to that some folks will dump "Hardware" into a pump pit, and break the pumps. (The optional 3rd cause) and you have a flood.

Last time one of my Sgt's took a copter ride over the city with Pat Monk.... Who did not have a passenger side door on his copter so the poor sgt was ... In the rain.

Could also be pipe stolen from pumping stations by scrap thieves.

Copper-theft-a-possible-factor-in-metro-detroit-freeway-flooding/

TS14fansmoke
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading there for the NASCAR weekend on Thursday.Hopefully things will be better.

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
heading there Friday for the Woodward dream cruise, hope its cleared up

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't get any flooding at all and we're 1+ hours outside of Detroit.

But a few weeks ago, we got hail. Holy Hail! Egg to plum sized hail. My area is designated a disaster area. We are getting a new roof and awning for the camper. That's not to mention the other 3 claims we made on both vehicles and the house. Crazy weather here in Michigan this year.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We are not in Detroit proper, but are near DTW. We have standing water in the yard where we have never had standing water in the 20+ years we have lived here. The radio just warned local drivers to be cautions when transiting Lake I-75.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
The heavy rains seemed to be pretty localized. We did not get that much north near the Palace. I don't think my sump pump even ran.

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
What happened was the super soaker style, or the once every 200 years type of rain if you will.

If you are approaching or plan on approaching or passing through southeastern metro detroit (including suburbs), I would make new plans at least for the next few days. Up north appears to be ok, as well as the west side of the state, but anywhere near the detroit burb area is trashed.

The bridge that connects 696 to 75 that goes over 75 had water up to the bottom of it last night and still this morning...14 feet 8 inchs of it. We are hearing that this was the case in most major intersections and the bigger problem is after the water recedes, everything will have to be inspected and repaired if necessary before you can use it again.

I would also be careful about buying a used vehicle in this area from anyplace even slightly questionable, I would guess there are a couple thousand cars that are trashed in some way. Hundreds at least buried under water, care abandoned last night all over the place.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was a State Police dispatcher in Detroit for 25 years.. This is the 2nd time in my memory this has happened.. First time shut down parts of the system for days.. Folks where yammering about how the freeways (We called them Ditches since they are dug down for sound control) were designed to drain into the river if it flooded (not at all true in case anyone is wondering, that was NOT a design consideration and it is NOT how it works when this happens).

The problem is a combination of two or sometimes 3 things

Trash blocks the drain grates This is due to littering, and "Blow off" from trucks (Epically garbage haulers) and such preventing proper draining.

And in a really super soaker of a storm the pump houses . Just can not pump fast enough.

Add to that some folks will dump "Hardware" into a pump pit, and break the pumps. (The optional 3rd cause) and you have a flood.

Last time one of my Sgt's took a copter ride over the city with Pat Monk.... Who did not have a passenger side door on his copter so the poor sgt was ... In the rain.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Are there still people in Detroit?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
From most reports on Detroit it could only be an improvement.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny right there. I don't care who you are!!!
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer