cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinterest users lifting pictures from forum

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've always said watch all what you post about your personal information regarding your family and RV on a public forum.

A friend of mine found a picture of my RV that I posted here on Pinterest. And posted it as if the pinned by user owned my RV. And then they also posted it on a redirect to rv-roadtrips. :R

A lot of other pictures there too with family and pictures of their children camping and their MH's parked in front of their houses. Wonder how many of those were lifted without the owner knowing also?

I KNOW all the posts here are public and will show up on a google search but these guys are making websites using our pictures and posting your names if you have used them here on the RV net forum.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

44 REPLIES 44

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
STBRetired wrote:
You cannot live your life in fear.

Well ..... I suspect that millions of people all over the world have to do just that.

Here in the U.S. if one is paranoid enough, they can reduce or eliminate their fears by protecting themselves from various "dangers" in all kinds of ways. Of course many here lazily rely on only luck or statistics to get by living their lives with very little fear of anything. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not paranoid or living in fear. :R

It's a fact that if one is not prudent about their information on the internet the devious of the world 'will' take advantage of it.

FACT:
Local Horse Community facebook and forum.

Everyone practically knows everyone else on the forum. Newcomers to the forum were welcomed. Everyone was proudly posting pictures of their horse farms, the inside of the barns and horses, show pictures, what each one was worth and/or for sale for, where the next show was that they were going to, dates and times, who they hired to feed the horses that stayed behind, when they would come out to take care of them, etc. etc.

The horse thieves used each and every bit of this information.

Why not, they were hand fed all the information they needed to pull off the perfect heist, they had pictures of the inside of the entire horse compounds, when the owners would be gone, which horses they should steal to make good money on, etc.

Horse theft quadrupled in our area after the popularity of facebook and forums. The thieves that did finally get caught were found to have joined these owners facebook and local forums.

The above scenario can happen to ANY one ANY facebook or forum. Personal, clubs etc.

Criminals now can VERY easily get all the info they need off the internet to make their jobs easier. Whether it be robbery or even something as serious as abduction etc.

Fearful, paranoid? No. I am certainly not going to PROVIDE the information to the criminals.

It's called common sense, keeping my property and families safe. IMHO many people are just not thinking of all the ramifications of all what 'can' happen allowing so much of their personal information to be out there.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the government in all of this? We need more regulation!
Somebody should start a Federal agency to deal with this and stop the pirating of personal photos. There is no reason why the powers that be couldn't tax the internet to pay for the policing of proprietary photos and information of the public and stop the rampant theft and violation of my personal property.
BTW, please excuse the pic of the bear sitting at the picnic table. I'm not sure where that came from.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
You can right click any image and click search Google for the image. It will search the internet and list websites that use the same image.

I have an image on my company website that we created and is often copied by competitors. I guess I'm a nice guy and always give them notice that it is not theirs to use rather than just suing them. I've yet to have anyone refuse to promptly remove the image. I guess when I do I will make an example of them.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:

Well ..... I suspect that millions of people all over the world have to do just that.

Here in the U.S. if one is paranoid enough, they can reduce or eliminate their fears by protecting themselves from various "dangers" in all kinds of ways. Of course many here lazily rely on only luck or statistics to get by living their lives with very little fear of anything. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can contact the webmaster on the offending site and they have a legal obligation to remove your image - and they know it.

Interested in more?

How using Google Images can cost you $8,000
Photographer's Survival Manual: A Legal Guide for Artists in the Digital Age
Registration Site Copyright.gov
Copyright Tutorial (American society of Media Photographers)

The digital image when created belongs to the creator and no one else. Plus, it is legally considered copyrighted although the legal awards are far less than when the images are actually registered with the copyright office. It only cost about $35 to register them and they can be bundled - many hundreds of images per bundle. Sized to approximately 540 pixels is fine.
Derivative works are also covered. . .meaning that if someone were to do a little photoshopping of your image it would not protect them. Copyright is quite interesting.

Some sites like Facebook strip out the EXIF data. . .
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:

X2

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Let's look at the facts though: The RV.NET forums does not host pictures. Other than those small signature pics, period. You can set links or embed pictures posted on other sites in your posts.

So it is simply not possible for anyone to have stolen them from this site.

That is NOT true.

Right click on ANY picture on this forum and then click save image as. The PICTURE goes to your picture file and then it's yours to do with whatever.

Actually it is. You are seeing the page text from RV.net's server, but the image file is coming from Photobucket or Flickr or wherever the person who posted it uploaded it to.

As an example, here's a thread in which I posted some pics of my generator:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28689551.cfm

Those images are NOT hosted on RV.net - they are on Photobucket. While you can right-click and save, they are technically NOT on RV.net and never have been. RV.net's page code tells your browser where to get the picture from.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

MrWizard
When you right click and save
Your pc will get the image either from your browser cache
Or
From the picture HOST, it can't get it from the forum, because it is not on the forum servers
What is on they server webpage is the LINK to the host
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Let's look at the facts though: The RV.NET forums does not host pictures. Other than those small signature pics, period. You can set links or embed pictures posted on other sites in your posts.

So it is simply not possible for anyone to have stolen them from this site.

That is NOT true.

Right click on ANY picture on this forum and then click save image as. The PICTURE goes to your picture file and then it's yours to do with whatever.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
What I find ironic is that Pinterest demands you create an account and give them personal info, but yet, is happy to grab pictures of other people's stuff and use it freely.

I generally just don't care... however on my website, I use Digimarc's invisible watermarking service. This way, if there is any question about image ownership, it is quite obvious. I've only used a DMCA takedown once, and that was when someone else was using my images, then contacted me, demanding I pay them. This was after I noticed this person linking directly to my server, running up my bandwidth costs. So, I put some scripting in which would disallow pictures to be fetched if the browser's Referer: header wasn't from my site.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I thought you couldn't put anything on the Internet if wasn't true? ๐Ÿ™‚

That's got to be true, it's on the internet!!!
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you couldn't put anything on the Internet if wasn't true? ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
You can use prntscr to capture anything you see.
The "Snipping Tool" makes it even easier.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
Oh godness me...is there anyone here who doesn't know that you can grab pictures and doctor and repost them? Before that, one could just scan them in a copier. geeeezus folks...fret about something real.

Gary Haupt
Amen. What with some of the other this-awful-thing-could-happen-to-you-if-you're-not-really-really-careful posts I'm almost afraid to open my eyes in the morning.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use prntscr to capture anything you see.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman