cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinterest users lifting pictures from forum

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've always said watch all what you post about your personal information regarding your family and RV on a public forum.

A friend of mine found a picture of my RV that I posted here on Pinterest. And posted it as if the pinned by user owned my RV. And then they also posted it on a redirect to rv-roadtrips. :R

A lot of other pictures there too with family and pictures of their children camping and their MH's parked in front of their houses. Wonder how many of those were lifted without the owner knowing also?

I KNOW all the posts here are public and will show up on a google search but these guys are making websites using our pictures and posting your names if you have used them here on the RV net forum.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

44 REPLIES 44

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:

Now that's TOO funny! :B

But sadly true.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Although a little weird and the idea that someone would say my camper was theirs seems sad, I wouldn't really care.

But, what if someone photo - shopped it with an image of a pervert doing something disgusting in front of the RV and inferred you were involved? My bottom line: trust no one.

I've camped before where I have seen 3-4 trailers that could pass as mine. I really doubt anyone that knows me, and who is also on pintrest, would notice if that was my camper or not.

And so what if someone is being perverted. ts there mug in the picture not mine.

People are way to paranoid.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
As an amateur photographer, I generally do not post my photos on any internet forums, FB, Twitter, etc. I've known multiple artists who have had images stolen off the internet - the thieves were usually using those images to sell mugs, mouse pads, and such on cafepress, etc. The sad thing is, those thieves weren't even stealing the "good works" - they stole anything and everything.

I'm the other way around, as an avid photographer and pilot I've got a huge number of my aerial photos online, BUT, they are only posted on places where it is clearly indicated that they are copyright protected, that they are available for commercial use (for a fee of course) and that any unauthorized use will be prosecuted.

I've 'sold' way more photos by finding them and sending a demand letter than I ever would just offering them. It's also REALLY hard for 'offenders' to negotiate the price they're going to pay after the fact. ๐Ÿ˜œ

I should clarify. I do have my photos posted online where someone can purchase them, etc. However, I don't post them on forums like this, FB and other sites with TOCs that claim rights to what I post and don't let me cancel those rights, and so on.

Assuming it's me personally who both owns the copyright and posts the photos.

They'd have to get whatever forum owner to divulge all the details about the registrant, good luck with that, and then prove Elmer J. Fud (the registrant) had the legal right to give up those rights.

By posting a photo on FB, you give FB the rights to do whatever they want with that photo - including selling it to someone else. It's not always a matter of some Joe Blow going out to find your photo - many times, it's the forum owner finding buyers for your photo.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
As an amateur photographer, I generally do not post my photos on any internet forums, FB, Twitter, etc. I've known multiple artists who have had images stolen off the internet - the thieves were usually using those images to sell mugs, mouse pads, and such on cafepress, etc. The sad thing is, those thieves weren't even stealing the "good works" - they stole anything and everything.

I'm the other way around, as an avid photographer and pilot I've got a huge number of my aerial photos online, BUT, they are only posted on places where it is clearly indicated that they are copyright protected, that they are available for commercial use (for a fee of course) and that any unauthorized use will be prosecuted.

I've 'sold' way more photos by finding them and sending a demand letter than I ever would just offering them. It's also REALLY hard for 'offenders' to negotiate the price they're going to pay after the fact. ๐Ÿ˜œ

I should clarify. I do have my photos posted online where someone can purchase them, etc. However, I don't post them on forums like this, FB and other sites with TOCs that claim rights to what I post and don't let me cancel those rights, and so on.

Assuming it's me personally who both owns the copyright and posts the photos.

They'd have to get whatever forum owner to divulge all the details about the registrant, good luck with that, and then prove Elmer J. Fud (the registrant) had the legal right to give up those rights.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
On the original topic, I agree it's just good common sense to avoid posting personally identifying info in public forums.

When I post a photo for example, I won't include a legible license plate.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I get around it by licensing everything I write through the Creative Commons .
Users must give attribution, and must share what they use it for with the same terms.
-- Chris Bryant

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Beebo wrote:

BTW, please excuse the pic of the bear sitting at the picnic table. I'm not sure where that came from.
Click here Maybe one of these?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
lbrjet wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. You posted a picture on a public forum and someone from the public used your photogragh. Remember that you provided the link to your picture to the world.

In the OP's situation, there may have been "no big deal". But, it's a good reminder that what you post online can be used by others. Instead of a photo of his RV, the photo that was swiped could have been that of his dog - and instead of simply being posted on Pinterest as "look at my dog", it could have been used to promote poisoning dogs.

It's good for folks to be reminded that what they post on the internet can be grabbed and used for purposes they don't agree with - regardless of the quality of whatever they posted. It's good for folks, like the OP, to get a bit freaked when they have it happen to them - it will make them a bit more aware in the future when they post stuff. Posting online has become very routine and few people really consider what/when/where/how they are posting.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see what the big deal is. You posted a picture on a public forum and someone from the public used your photogragh. Remember that you provided the link to your picture to the world.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Fearful, paranoid? No. I am certainly not going to PROVIDE the information to the criminals.

It's called common sense, keeping my property and families safe. IMHO many people are just not thinking of all the ramifications of all what 'can' happen allowing so much of their personal information to be out there.

"Paranoid" is a great strong word to describe what's becoming more and more a necessary approach for keeping always hyper vigilant ... maybe the world needs more paranoids to keep ahead of the criminoids.

The DW and myself use only flip phones, a Garmin navigator, and email I custom tailor to as much as possible shut down back door entry into it. This RV Forum is just about our only exposure to Social Media -> and we use only good old computers to access it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III