cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning our first trip and looking for suggestions.

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our first big trip in our Bighorn for this June. We live near the Cincinnati area and will start there. We have had small couple day practice trips but nothing 2 weeks or longer. We thought we would work our way up to the longer trips. I hope that is a good way to do things. We are thinking of camping on some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are thinking of starting in Gatlinburg and work from there.Any thoughts on different trips or where we should stay or see along the Parkway?

Thanks in advance.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL
2017 Ford F350 DRW Lariat
18 REPLIES 18

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a follow-up, I realize that my question might be better served by putting this in a new thread. Don't mean to hijack this one. Apologies if I did...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
linnemj wrote:
I absolutely love the Blue Ridge Parkway on a MOTORCYCLE. I don't think I would be happy towing our 30' toy hauler trailer on it for any distance.

I've heard a fair amount of conflicting information and suggestions on this. Here's our situation... We will be in the Nashville area for a rally in mid July, and are considering following this up with a 2 or three week jaunt up the Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north. We're set up with a 38 foot fiver, 13' 6" tall, towed by a one-ton diesel. Retired, so absolutely no hurry. Our thinking is that we'd spend our days driving short sections of the parkway, dropping off to campgrounds off of the parkway. I have experience in mountain driving and know the capabilities of the truck well, so grades don't bother me too much.

So, is the plan and approach doable? Are there any gotcha's that I need to be thinking about? I'd be particularly interested in thoughts from folks that have 'been there and done that' in a setup similar to ours.

Thanks in advance...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
We live about 10 minutes from Camp Gulf. That place stays busy. We are doing some of our practice trips to Topsail and Grayton Beach State Parks this winter. Are you doing any contests down here?

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
bluegrass smokers wrote:
Bluegrass Smokers is the name of my competition BBQ team. We are from Kentucky hence the name. I wouldn't call myself a bluegrass fan but I love all types of music.

Too cool, we're a BBQ team also '82's BBQ Crew'. We just upgraded from a class c to a new 5th wheel and Pigeon Forge is on our list for our first vacation. Then planning on going back to Camp Gulf in Destin FL. That place is awesome.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have pulled our 27Ft TT on both Shenandoah Drive and parts of the Blue Ridge Highway. The Blue Ridge is much better.Not as curvy and speed limit of 45mph. There are some very good campgrounds not far off the Blue Ridge. We like Sherando Lake and Goose Point. Both have electric hookups.And while the campgrounds right in the Blue Ridge were built long ago,you should still be able to find a site if you stop early.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going to be near it, google Cass Scenic Railroad. Be sure to grab some tickets to the "Fiddles & Vittles" train. That was some of the best barbeque I've ever had! :B

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love the Blue Ridge Parkway on a MOTORCYCLE. I don't think I would be happy towing our 30' toy hauler trailer on it for any distance. You have the right area for a nice 2 week camping trip heading south into TN, NC, and VA. You have 3 choices for camping near the Smokies - Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, Townsend TN, or Cherokee, NC. If you can do without hookups for your stay, camp in one of the National Park campgrounds. If you want extreme touristy area, head to Gatlinburg, otherwise Townsend. There are numerous parks we love in the area. Indian Boundary NF campground near Tellico Plains, TN, Roan Mountain SP in TN, Bandy Creek NF near Oneida, TN, My suggestion is to stay 3 or more nights wherever you choose so you can enjoy the area. Enjoy!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never pulled your trailer on mountain grades do some learnin on how to. I see many people with trailers who burn their brakes up in these hills. Gear down for the down hill roll and don't ride your brakes. Gatlinburg is quite crowded and tight so I don't recommend pulling your rig into town. It can be done, yes, tour busses do it all the time so just be aware. Lots of good parks in the area that can accommodate a larger rig so that won't be a problem for you. Reservations may be in order depending on time of your visit. Pigeon Forge is pretty much wide open and lots of CG options there too. Be prepared for heavy traffic. I have seen it backed up from I-40 all the way down to Pigeon Forge and can take 2 hrs. to go 15 miles. Depending. Any questions on the area feel free to ask. I live 20 miles outside of the craziness.

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
You could do the Country Music Highway in Eastern Kentucky on US Route 23 http://countrymusichighway.com/countrymusichighway/highway-history/

We like to stay at Falls Campground in Fallsburg which is about 6 miles off 23 http://fallscampground.com/

but there is also camping at Yatesville Lake http://kentuckystateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/yatesville-lake-state-park/r/campgroundDetails....
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
The Crooked Road?

Start out at Break Interstate Park
, the Grand Canyon of the East. About 3 hrs from Lexington.

This is not too far from home and lots of things to do/experience along the way.

Natural Tunnel SP is a wonderful small state park with lots to do, lots to see in the immediate area.

That is about 2 1/2 hrs from Gatlinburg and you will be in the mountains here, too.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
Bluegrass Smokers is the name of my competition BBQ team. We are from Kentucky hence the name. I wouldn't call myself a bluegrass fan but I love all types of music.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Check carefully on the roads and bridges along the Blue Ridge. As noted by jnharley, many RVers are reluctant to take their rigs on the Parkway. With a group of friends, we stayed in a nice campground just south of Galax VA, basically around the corner from the NC line. If you like Old Time music, go into the town of Galax VA on a Friday night, and go to the Rex Theater, for a good ole foot stompin time. A few miles from the campground is an entrance onto the Blue Ridge. If you go north on the Parkway for several miles, there is a National Park Center that features regional music, a small museum, and local musicians that just come to the Center to play for visitors. You could stay in this area for a few days to soak up all of the local history and culture. Have Fun.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Blue Ridge Parkway but would not tow our RV. Most of the campgrounds on the parkway were built long ago when RVs were much smaller and are dry camping. I would camp off the parkway and take day trips.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post. Sri
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995