cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please check my tow math

AdamNeedsInfo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone. New to forum. New to travel trailers. Trying to understand tow capacities, etc.

I am looking to buy a 2017 Expedition EL Limited to become the new family vehicle (family of 5) and that it can also "safely" pull the Apex 289TBSS travel trailer that my wife wants. From my understanding, 9200 is how much this Expedition could tow if it only contained a 150lb driver, no cargo, no other passengers. But, we'll have 700-800 pounds of people. And it's been suggested to estimate having about 1000lbs of camping stuff in the TT. So, that would put me at 6720 lb GTW and a tongue weight of 840lb (using the same 12.5%). That 840 tongue weight combined with 800 lbs of people (with nothing else in the vehicle), puts me right at the GVWR for the Expedition. And I guess anything else we bring would have to go in the trailer? I seem to be at or below the max values for everything else. Am I calculating this correctly? Should this be a decent and safe towing experience?

2016/2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited, HD Tow Package (upgraded oil cooler and radiator, integrated brake controller, 7-pin), 3.73 rear axle, also plan to buy WDH with sway bar
- max tow: 9200
- max tongue wt: 920
- GCWR: 15300
- max payload/cargo: 1660
- curb weight: 6100
- GVWR: 7760

2018 Apex 289TBSS
- dry weight: 5720
- hitch weight: 715
- carrying capacity: 1880
- GTWR: 7600
13 REPLIES 13

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good setup to me. All the numbers work and the eco boost will have no issue with that trailer. As with any trailer hitch setup is key along with a really good sway control system. I would go with a Reese Dual Cam.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dougie123 is correct above, in that a HD pickup will be a differnet animal for towing, but so would a semi.....
The soft tires, soft suspension, etc is easily cured if you think itโ€™s a little mushy.
Difference in experience and comfort levels performing certain tasks (towing) will give different opinions about how โ€œwellโ€ a setup works.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you donโ€™t know how to tow, a popup could be too big for the truck (or you) to handle.
Youโ€™re not near the performance limits of a new Expe, but you may be near some of the reccomended weight ratings.
Again though, a new Expe will pull, handle and stop that trailer with ease.

Dougie123
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of 6, been camping for years.

We had a Suburban similar in spec to your expedition, and it towed our 24โ€™ hybrid (6300 GVWR) camper like cr$p. Lots of sway and wallowing....wife hated it, made her car sick. Those 1/2 suvs are meant for nice rides (P rates tires, coil springs, etc...)
We went to a crew cab 3/4 tontruck (with front bench seat to hold 6) and it was like night and day. Was a breeze to tow the camper, absolutely rock solid. Plus with the truck, you can load up the back with bikes, coolers, firewood, small generator, fishing gear, wet stinky shoes, sandy beach gear, etc...

The inside of the truck is nice and clean and smell-free.

Lastly, keep in mind kids get bigger, so your carrying load will keep going up over the years. You can get a super crew cab f-150 eco boost truck with heavy duty payload package, seating for 6, leather, heated seats, etc, and you would have the best of both worlds.

As dad always said....โ€™do it once and do it right.โ€™
Dad, Mom, 4 kids, 1 dog & lots of camping memories!

2010 Shamrock 233S (SOLD)
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 295DBOK
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10 (SOLD)
2017 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Cummins

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask wife what she runs at MAX. Stove, stereo, her car, sewing machine, herself? Then why not at max?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

shades9323
Explorer
Explorer
AdamNeedsInfo wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback so far...keep it coming! I know that a lighter TT would be more desirable for this vehicle, but the wife wants what the wife wants. And I know that a truck could also solve my towing problem. But it also creates other problems/cons. Kids too close together (fighting), no seat recline, won't fit in garage, etc. We're currently in a Toyota Sienna, which is incredibly comfortable and roomy for family travels. So, I'm also trying not sacrifice too much of what they are accustomed to. Yes, they're spoiled.

Pitch it from a safety standpoint for a smaller trailer. Wives love keeping their families safe over having a bigger trailer.

AdamNeedsInfo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback so far...keep it coming! I know that a lighter TT would be more desirable for this vehicle, but the wife wants what the wife wants. And I know that a truck could also solve my towing problem. But it also creates other problems/cons. Kids too close together (fighting), no seat recline, won't fit in garage, etc. We're currently in a Toyota Sienna, which is incredibly comfortable and roomy for family travels. So, I'm also trying not sacrifice too much of what they are accustomed to. Yes, they're spoiled.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL tows a similar (maybe slightly smaller) TT with an Ecoboost EL Expedition and it does pretty well. You would be at the top of what you'd want to try towing, though.

We are also a family of five and in my opinion, unless you really need that third row, a crew cab truck is a lot better value. They cost less and with the possibility of stepping up to HD models they can be a lot more capable. I have a soft topper I put on over the winter but if I didn't have a fifth wheel I'd probably have a nice fiberglass topper year round, which would provide a ton of secure and weatherproof cargo space. Just some food for thought.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I generally recommend keeping under 6k dry for the more capable half tons. That will be closer to 7k loaded with 900-1000 pounds of loaded TW. 900 pounds of loaded TW + xxx for family weight = how much as equipped payload you need to target. Children will grow, but some of the TW will put put onto trailer axles. You can manage at 0-250 pounds over GVWR with a good WDH IMHO. So pay attention to the tire and loaded sticker's Max combined weight of occupants and cargo sticker as you test drive those SUVs.

The integrated brake controller is good. Skip the WDH with sway bar and get one with integrated sway control. Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Strit Line, BlueOx SwayPro are the top 3 in the $400-600 range. Learn how to adjust whichever one you choose in order to get 100% front weight restoration.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Using the gross trailer weight (7,600 lbs), 12.5% of that as the tongue weight (950 lbs) and 5 passengers at 600 lbs (two 150 lbs adults and three 100 lbs children) the GVW of the tow vehicle would be 7650 lbs (110 lbs short of the maximum), payload would be 1,550 lbs (110 lbs short of maximum) and a gross combined weight of 15,250 lbs or 50 lbs short of maximum.

You at 100% of the gross combined weight and above 90% of the payload and tow vehicle maximum weight. That should mean you can safely tow the trailer but you'll be near the performance limit for the vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A new Expe EL Ecoboost will tow the trailer youโ€™re proposing with ease. No need to fret over lbs and ounces.
Put a wdh on it and go.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to Donn's point consider how long you intend to use this setup. What will the kids weigh next year, and the year after as well as how much stuff they will take with them now and later.
Also you haven't allowed 90-110 lbs for the WDH, so add that to the mix.
It all adds up quickly.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of all guesses, take the trailer out of the equasion by using its GVWR. 12-15% of that is the maximum tongue weight. Since your looking at a new vehocle I realize you will not have a real down the road curb weight, so take the published number, add 500 pounds plus your family to the Expy. Add the tongue weight. Are you over or under?
Now, you have to also understand that weight is not the total picture. Remember any TT is nothing more than a giant brick going down the road behind you. Frontal area equals lots of wind resistance. Sides equal a giant sail trying to push you around. Can you safely tow that trailer with your growing family? Only you can make that decision.