cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Ice Maker

DonCon
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recommendations for a portable countertop ice maker? How noisy are they? Could it be kept outside the trailer? When I looked at the reviews, it seems that people either love them of hate them? Thanks so much for your advice.
22 REPLIES 22

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Did you read my post above?
They are made the same company. It doesn't matter which brand you buy.
I did read your post but I had seen ones selling for $110 while others were going for $500 and some are selling for over $1,000. I do not understand how the durability in the $110 models can be equal to the $500 models. I am willing to spend more than the cheapest $110 model and I find it difficult to understand how spending 5 times is going to give me the same ice maker with a different manufactures name on it. I am just not getting how spending 5 times more or even 10 times more will not give me any more longevity than a cheaper unit

So there is no difference in quality and durability between these?

Scotsman Counter Air Cooled Touchfree Cube Style Ice Maker / Disp.
by Scotsman
Be the first to review this item
Price: $3,728.69

Whynter T-2M SNO Portable Ice Maker, Stainless Steel Brushed Nickel Finish
by Whynter
3.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
Price: $425.00

Koldfront Ultra Compact Portable Ice Maker - White
by Koldfront
3.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (70 customer reviews)
Price: $110.00
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the ice maker I have in my home freezer. Starting a few days prior to taking off, I just dump what ever was made that day into a plastic bag. More than enough ice for our drinks.

One less thing I have to pack and deal with.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Have used ours 3 years so far & love it........ Same noise as a home refrig. ice maker.....

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Did you read my post above?
They are made the same company. It doesn't matter which brand you buy.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Bump

I am willing to spend more than $100 if i don't have to replace it every few years. Looking for suggestion for something in the $200 to $250 range. I do not care about noises long as it isn't too loud to hear my TV.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is two years old. Works great, and it makes a lot of ice in just a few hours. Ice is soft, but if you make up a quantity and put it in the freezer, it's great. We fill a quart freezer bag and it lasts us about 3 days.

The loudest sound is when the ice drops. It isn't that bad, but I prefer not to run it at night for that reason.

MrWizard
Noise? - while the machine doesn't make much noise, you can hear the cubes dump when we are inside and the ice maker is outside. Not goint to wake you up, but would not want it in the trailer ...

maybe if its on the table under an open window and nothing else is turned on

we keep ours in the RV, the slight noise does not disturb us

i can not hear it out side even through open windows
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said they are all made by one company in China and private labeled for many brands. The Magic Chef brand I have is imported by a company that has acquired a license from Magic Chef but is not Magic Chef. It is just an import and sales company.

My first one lasted just under a year and the replacement (under warranty) just over a year. I repaired the second one with parts from the first one and it has lasted 4 or 5 years now.

Like many others we put the ice in a container in our freezer.

If this dies we will definitely get another.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Bought one some years ago, through WalMart Online Store, and very reasonable. Like all our toys, we used it regularly, but over time found we needed the space it took up. They aen't that expensive, and we use it more at home now. Safe travels.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an Igloo Ice maker from Buy.com for $99 delivered. It failed within 2 months. The manufacturer, Curtis, would NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY. I was finally able to get a refund from Buy.com. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Take the time to read the reviews for these products. Even the Target website has an owner feedback section, and the reviews for the icemaker is horrible.

The branding doesn't seem to matter. They all look the same, and the parent company is Curtis for the ones I've looked at. I spent weeks trying to get Curtis to honor their warranty, and they refused. Buyer beware...
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Found a used one on craigslist for $50 while in Texas three years ago. Still works fine and we love it.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought one at Target a couple years ago. I think they are all the same no matter which brand is on it. If you put the side by side they are all exactly the same except for the name and the price. Buy the cheapest one you can find. We're happy with ours although we don't use it as much as we thought we would..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
well, Maytag is the parent company for Magic Chef and they make them for a lot of other brand names, you know how that works one day they make them for one company and just put the companies name on them. so just find one that is the lowest price and buy it. like any thing else in this world, if it's man made it is subject to failure, sooner or later it is going to fail. some just sooner than others.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, we are on our 2nd. First lasted 2 seasons. Starting the 2nd season with this one. Find one that is cheap and be prepared for it to last only a couple of years. I think they are all the same quality wise.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010