cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescription Costs

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
While in Florida I had one of my prescriptions filled by Walgreens. Their price was 20% higher than my normal Michigan price. Since I have all my Medicare Prescriptions filled at Walgreens I contacted Walgreens & my Medicare Blue Cross Provider about the difference in pricing.
I was told that different Walgreen stores will charge different prices even within the same city!!!

So just a "heads up: folks--- check out those prices before filling the order.

Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W
15 REPLIES 15

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Tip.....

If you ask for a discount you might just get it.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

alaska315
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda makes one wonder if Medicare is trying to kill us older folks off.No,couldn't be,that's elder abuse right?.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Midnite Buddy - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to get more than a 30 day supply. Someone else can't pick up your prescription because they ask for a photo ID and you have to sign a form. I would talk to your doctor to see if he or she knows any way. I'm not on pain meds but I know people who are and they all say the same thing. You can't even pay for any extra months because you can't get the prescriptions. There is an article on the CDC website that explains the rules and reasons behind their decision.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I like CVS Pharmacy much better than Walgreens. I have ChampVA which pays 75 percent of the prescription cost. I can request refills online and select a new location where I want to pick them up. The only state that doesn't have CVS is Wyoming. Walmart Pharmacy is also cheaper and I have filled prescriptions on the road with them, but they aren't as friendly to travelers. The new location has to actually transfer the prescription to the new store and that takes longer. Walmart charges $10 for 90 day prescriptions on their generic list.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The same prescription we used to pay $20 a month for 35 years ago is now over 2K a month. Generic does not work as well.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Midnite-Buddy
Explorer
Explorer
I am new here and maybe someone can help me ?
I am disabled due to a accident and had back surgeries which left me in pain 24/7 I see the pain docs for my pain meds, what I need help with is how do you get more then one months supply of pain meds now since the drug seekers made it harder now.
With the new laws the pain meds I am on you can not get refills, so every month they have to write a new prescription for them. If I have to pay for the extra months then there goes my Alaskan Road trip in mid 2017, only because one of my meds Kadian won't cost me $3500 for one month and we are looking to be gone for around 6 months.
Some others said have someone pick up my meds then have them overnight them to you?
So if anyone knows what can be done here ?

Thanks

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, nothing has been done to control prescription prices. The high cost of medical care in general is the problem. The Aoordable Care Act did not fix nor can it fix costs.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the era of affordable care
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I have had mine filled in many different states at many different Walmart's.
My co-pay has been the same everywhere.

I don't get any refills in NY. state as you can't refill any other state after that.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
BillB800si wrote:
While in Florida I had one of my prescriptions filled by Walgreens. Their price was 20% higher than my normal Michigan price. Since I have all my Medicare Prescriptions filled at Walgreens I contacted Walgreens & my Medicare Blue Cross Provider about the difference in pricing.
I was told that different Walgreen stores will charge different prices even within the same city!!!

So just a "heads up: folks--- check out those prices before filling the order.

Happy trails,

Same thing happens to my wife with her prescriptions from her private insurance. Walgreen's in New York State much higher than in Arizona; But other pharmacies in NYS are less than the Walgreen's Arizona price.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Welcome to Medicare!
Indeed.

You seek logic in the world of Medicare. There is none.

hey, there is one thing worse than medicare.
bumpy

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Welcome to Medicare!
Indeed.

You seek logic in the world of Medicare. There is none.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
When Medicare started paying 50% in the donut hole, The price of Insulin tripled, and there has been no reason except corporate rip-off. With all kinds of political raving about rising Medicare costs, there has been NOTHING done about this. And, companies trying to get into the market to provide an alternative at lower prices were bought out by the same drug companies so they could keep their prices higher. I can't say too much about this, cause my blood pressure goes up and I need more pills to keep it down. I bet my prescriptions at Walmart, because I can get refills just about anywhere we are at. (except New York).
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to Medicare!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.