cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Rver gravity

Sorry, don't do links

Paranoid?

Every time you view this thread you have to "do links." What are you talking about?
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
Sorry, don't do links
It's a thread on THIS board! You can always Quote a post to see where a link goes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Rver gravity

Sorry, don't do links
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Luv_Campin
Explorer
Explorer
We've had this happen to us. I've threatened to do the "underwear walk" outside as they were backing in. Just socks and underwear standing outside while staring up in the trees. I'm sure they'd leave the site but I'm also sure the police would show up later.
2007 Ford F150
2012 Keystone Summerland 2100RB
one bossy dachsund
1 short wife and 1 short dog

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Political? Never crossed my mind. We have seen it over and over where people want to park next to others when it is obvious that they are parked where they are because they wanted to be away from others.

If you don't do such, there is no need to comment. I'd like to hear from people who do.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rver gravity
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Drives me crazy too. Last year, we found a secluded site in the Arizona mountains. Along the road we camped on, there were lots of sites about every 1/4 mile. Two other rigs that were camping together actually pulled in within 100 feet of us. They had barking dogs, quads and not so nice but very loud music. Of course at night when the kids went to bed, they decided to crank the music louder and start drinkin'. We decided to pull out and move to another spot a few miles away at MIDNIGHT.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
My query is about those folks whom seem to have the need to "herd".

This could get political real fast.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Who knows? Can only guess the views from that specific area? On the water ? stayed in that spot last time? Thinking the park will fill up soon, and they will be close to somebody anyway? Forgot their TV and the one they parked next to has a big outside TV? Sign outside reads " free beer"???

None of the above. It is actually one of the least desirable of the sites. My query is about those folks whom seem to have the need to "herd".

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
If the "why they picked that site" matters that much, you could ask them. :h
None of us know why.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Location, view, or some other intangible that the others also found inviting in that general area. Or that is just where they decided is the best spot for them.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
Maybe the site was assigned to them at check in.

Nope, this is a pick your site place

RRBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that placing a tuba on the picnic table in plain site helps keep them from setting up to close.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Who knows? Can only guess the views from that specific area? On the water ? stayed in that spot last time? Thinking the park will fill up soon, and they will be close to somebody anyway? Forgot their TV and the one they parked next to has a big outside TV? Sign outside reads " free beer"???
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the site was assigned to them at check in.