cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Wow! - Yikes! ....."phenomena" is right.......

WHERE is this park?? - in So. CA - with all the empty spaces??..:@

If it really exists.....and I visit, I'll promise not to park within 500' of the nearest camper!..:B

BTW - "sanattlerake" season in So. CA mtns - watch your step!.:E

~

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was kidding about the herd beast thing....
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
D & M wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
Wow 130 post about nothingโ€ฆ
you pay for one site and pick itโ€ฆ the next guy does the same thingโ€ฆ
why you pick your site is your business, but why someone else picks their site is none of your businessโ€ฆ they are not infringing on your rights or your personal spaceโ€ฆ

I guess the next time rent all of the loop sites tag them and never worry again about someone camping next to youโ€ฆ

Renting one site gives you rights to that site that site only, and the common grounds, nothing moreโ€ฆ

Well said
No - respectfully disagree - if it hadn't been for this thread, I would have never known that I'm a herd beast... Thinking of putting that in my signature.

The thread is fine and there are things to be learned from most of them for someoneโ€ฆ especially from the disagreementsโ€ฆ

But that doesnโ€™t change the factsโ€ฆ each of you has the right to choose your own site for your own reasonsโ€ฆ in doing so you have not infringed on othersโ€ฆ
of course in that situation others would have the option to change sites if they donโ€™t like your selectionsโ€ฆ

What you learned was people are different with different ideas or reasons for doing something, and that some may not care for your choicesโ€ฆ you learned to maybe think of the choice you make and how it effects what others may think about them a little differentlyโ€ฆ

I can assure you though there are some in a CG by themselves that hope others come in and like the herding effect and the feeling of security they get from itโ€ฆ it possible they didnโ€™t select the CG because it was empty, but only because it was there and convenient for their routeโ€ฆ

This isnโ€™t a right or wrong thing and there isnโ€™t a right or wrong answer on sight selectionโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s differing opinions about something and thatโ€™s all it isโ€ฆ

But by the other guy arriving first in reality only limits your choice by one site in the whole CGโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Why should I or you care what others do so long as it causes me no harm?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
noplace2 wrote:

We had the very same thing happen to us the week before Easter. We were in a campground of 51 sites and were the only ones there. This clown pulls into the campground and parks right next to us. I was so irritated. This is a state park and you pick your camp site at random then go pay the fee. I didn't let this ruin my weekend but it really chapped me.

Out of curiosity, were you the only two in the park for your entire stay?

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:

We had the very same thing happen to us the week before Easter. We were in a campground of 51 sites and were the only ones there. This clown pulls into the campground and parks right next to us. I was so irritated. This is a state park and you pick your camp site at random then go pay the fee. I didn't let this ruin my weekend but it really chapped me.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
why you pick your site is your business, but why someone else picks their site is none of your businessโ€ฆ they are not infringing on your rights or your personal spaceโ€ฆ

I guess the next time rent all of the loop sites tag them and never worry again about someone camping next to youโ€ฆ

Renting one site gives you rights to that site that site only, and the common grounds, nothing moreโ€ฆ

Well said
No - respectfully disagree - if it hadn't been for this thread, I would have never known that I'm a herd beast... Thinking of putting that in my signature.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Trailer_Beth
Explorer
Explorer
I cant post. something about invalid formatting.

tessa25
Explorer
Explorer
Given a mostly empty campground with no special views in one spot, an empty spot between would give the security/social people both security and social without having to hear the neighbors every sound.
Palomino Gazelle G150

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:

Well said
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
We were camping on BLM land and hundreds of feet from any other RV's. After we had gone to bed about 10 pm, a car drives in and parked about 30 ft from us. People living in cars make me uncomfortable and I always worry about things disappearing in the night. DW had trouble sleeping that night.

A driver in BLM camping/parking in a car, made me think of the late Charles Starkweather.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There's a new thread just started titled "Camping out West" in this forum. Check out some awesome boondocking pictures. Again...why would you want to pull up right next to them and believe me, some folks do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
homefor2 wrote:
Crowe wrote:
We were camping on BLM land and hundreds of feet from any other RV's. After we had gone to bed about 10 pm, a car drives in and parked about 30 ft from us.

How do you know they were living in it? Isn't it quite possible they were traveling just like you but don't have the luxury of affording an RV? Do you think maybe they parked near you so they would feel safer? Very judgmental attitude when you don't know their circumstances. And how do you know they weren't thinking that just maybe you stole that RV because you were hiding out on BLM lands and didn't want to be seen in a campground?

How do you know they didn't just rob a bank and had hostages tied up in the trunk. Get real.
Is that a big problem in Canada, people robbing banks and hiding in RV parks? Who needs to (get real)? If your concern about safety, driving to and from camping is the most dangerous thing you will do.

30 ft. 30 FEET!!!!!!! way too close in my opinion. I would also think 'suspect' of something. 30 feet when ALOT of land is available is reason to 'think something might be up' ๐Ÿ™‚

and if ya don't think that is too close when alot of land is available, then you will be the one that dies FIRST in the B rated killer movies ๐Ÿ™‚ :B (joke of course)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
homefor2 wrote:
Crowe wrote:
We were camping on BLM land and hundreds of feet from any other RV's. After we had gone to bed about 10 pm, a car drives in and parked about 30 ft from us.

How do you know they were living in it? Isn't it quite possible they were traveling just like you but don't have the luxury of affording an RV? Do you think maybe they parked near you so they would feel safer? Very judgmental attitude when you don't know their circumstances. And how do you know they weren't thinking that just maybe you stole that RV because you were hiding out on BLM lands and didn't want to be seen in a campground?

How do you know they didn't just rob a bank and had hostages tied up in the trunk. Get real.
Is that a big problem in Canada, people robbing banks and hiding in RV parks? Who needs to (get real)? If your concern about safety, driving to and from camping is the most dangerous thing you will do.