cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem filling 5 gal LP tank - help please

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Weber Baby Q grill and use a small, refillable 5 gal LP tank. Yesterday I took the tank to the cg LP fill and the tank would not fill, even after several attempts.

Tank is by Worthington bought at Lowe's.
1st fill was at this same cg by the same worker.
There is still some lp in the tank, it is not empty.
Tank is sending gas to the grill, just cooked dinner -works fine.

So, any ideas on why it wouldn't fill? The whole purpose of having this tank is to do away with those little green tanks!! Thanks for any and all suggestions.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
27 REPLIES 27

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
The last 5 Gallon LP tank I bought a couple of years ago was already purged at the factory. Had a sticker on it stating that it did not need to be purged.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
A five pound tank holds about a gallon, is much smaller- and, weirdly, is much more expensive to buy than a twenty pounder!

Economy of scale. How many 20 pound tanks do they sell for every 5 pound tank? Think about it.

If it costs $10,000 to set up the equipment, that has to be amortized over the entire run. If they make 1,000 tanks, they have to increase the cost by $10 just to cover equipment setup.

Now, if they produce 1,000,000 tanks, they only have to add 1 cent to the price of each tank to cover the equipment setup.

Fixed costs divided by number of pieces sold. VERY few 1 gallon tanks are sold, but 5 gallon tanks are sold by the truck load.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:

And some places (Costco) want to charge as much to fill it as they do the twenty pounder. So they don’t get to fill either my five-pound or my thirty-pound cylinders.

At costco I only pay for what they put in. I love being able to top off a tank for $3.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

A five pound tank holds about a gallon, is much smaller- and, weirdly, is much more expensive to buy than a twenty pounder!

And some places (Costco) want to charge as much to fill it as they do the twenty pounder. So they don’t get to fill either my five-pound or my thirty-pound cylinders.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are It was improperly filed the first time, if it wasn’t filled by weight… The correct fill is 80% but correctly filled is 80% @ 60* or to be sure it is 4.24 pounds per gallon of propane at any temperature…

So if the tank was filled the first time early in the morning after a cold night of say 48* to 80% in volume the tank is 2% overfilled… if it wasn’t sitting on a true level spot it could be more or less…
Now on the second fill it was 72* ambient temp and a sunny day… the gas in the tank would be 2% more by volume and 4 % more than the first fill… this can be a dangerous situation while transporting the tank, as it was overfilled enough that it could have discharged propane vapor or even liquid through the relief valve into its storage compartment, or worse yet would be to get liquid propane to the appliance designed to work on vapor only… it also explains why it is still too full even after using its propane…

This is the reason you want properly trained people dispensing the product…

49 CFR 170-179) for filling cylinders, storage tanks, tank trucks, and tank cars allow adequate vapor space for liquid expansion as the result of a change in atmospheric temperature.
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
klm wrote:
OP back, with an embarrassing update 😞 I took the tank to the local lp dealer. He explained all about purging the tank, but said that since the tank works fine supplying lp to the grill - not an issue with nitrogen (? I think that's it). He also said that moisture in these smaller tanks is rare. So, now for the embarrassing part - he weighed the tank - it is too full to accept any fuel. Boy, am I a dummy. We used the tank all spring and summer - short grill times - wow, not sure how it can still be near full - but it is. We are used to using those throwaway green bottles, guess we have a learning curve with this 5 lb lp tank. In the meantime, thanks all - I did learn a lot from you -

I bought a 1 gallon (5 pound) LP tank when we bought the RV. I had it filled 6 years ago, and it is still going strong. And we grill a lot when camping. They hold a LOT of propane.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
I am a certified Propane filler. The probable problem is that the float on the OPD valve is stuck. This can occur if the tank has no liquid in it and that the operator opened the valve too rapidly at the beginning of the filling process...this many times happens on the first fill whether the tank has been purged or not. Since propane boils to a gas at -60 degrees F, as soon as the liquid hits the bottom of the tank there is a huge force of gas upward. The float can be violently thrown up, get stuck and can even be damaged. It has been suggested that you drop the tank. This is good advise but turn it upside down and drop it on the top. The second solution if there is a gas lock is to have the filler connect the tank to their purging device and release pressure on the OPD valve. If neither of these work the tank's OPD valve has probably been damaged.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
:B

Thanks for the "is my face red" update, O.P.!

FYI:
Weight is the most accurate measure of how much propane is in the bottle- I use a bathroom scale to check mine.

Per tank size:
If you're using a garden-variety bulk tank about the size of the ones at cylinder exchanges, you were right the first time. That would be a "five gallon", more commonly referred to as a twenty pounder.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

klm
Explorer
Explorer
OP back, with an embarrassing update 😞 I took the tank to the local lp dealer. He explained all about purging the tank, but said that since the tank works fine supplying lp to the grill - not an issue with nitrogen (? I think that's it). He also said that moisture in these smaller tanks is rare. So, now for the embarrassing part - he weighed the tank - it is too full to accept any fuel. Boy, am I a dummy. We used the tank all spring and summer - short grill times - wow, not sure how it can still be near full - but it is. We are used to using those throwaway green bottles, guess we have a learning curve with this 5 lb lp tank. In the meantime, thanks all - I did learn a lot from you -
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Fill adapters & the fitting on the RV are 2 different animals.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
How can A valve can be stuck closed and still allow gas to flow out?
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm certified to fill LP. I would try to drop the tank from 6" a couple of times. My vote stuck opd.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
wgriswold wrote:
How would the air in the tank due to it not being purged prevent it from filling?

Good question, I await the yammer as to why.

It can't.

Air in the tank will only ruin the stoichiometric mixture of the fuel / air supply too the appliance till it bleeds off.

They want it purged by the attendant (who is presumably properly trained) so that last years Darwin Award winner doesn't do it himself in his kitchen, while lighting a cigarette.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for a stuck OPD valve. If the first fill got it full enough for the OPD valve to close, it may well be stuck closed, so will not allow more in. I vote for banging it on the pavement a couple times, then trying to fill again.

I always like to try the simple and CHEAP things first! If it does not cure it, then take it to a propane DEALER.