cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with Cat scale weights

WoodturnerII
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2015 Bay Hill 295RLS. The dry weight in the brochure is 10,646 lbs and the pin weight 2019. I am towing this with a 2010 F-350 pickup with a diesel engine. We loaded everything we are going to travel with in the trailer and went to the Cat scales. Here are the numbers.

Steering axle - 5020
Drive Axle - 8780
Trailer Axle - 7760
Gross - 21560

Unhooked the trailer and weighed the truck.

Steering axle - 5040
Drive Axle - 3640

When I enter these numbers into the worksheet I get 5140 lbs as pin weight which is 40 percent of the total weight of the trailer. There is nothing in the forward compartment except the battery and propane. The tanks are empty except for the water tank which is located behind the rear axles. How can a 12,900 lb trailer have this much pin weight and how do I fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
JRscooby wrote:
Old school trucker here. If you can't move weight in the trailer back you could put a longer tongue on the trailer, and move the 5th wheel forward. The forward hitch would mean part of the load would be carried on front axle. The longer tongue would transfer weight to the trailer axles.

Mmkay, not many interested in fabricating custom pin boxes for campers....
How about the OP figure out his actual weight, cause it ainโ€™t 5klbs on that trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If there really, truly is 5000+lbs on the pin, there is not much you can do about it except get a different trailer.

5000+lbs even on an F-350 DRW is going to push the rear end of the truck down HARD. That's the first thing you should have noticed.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Did you leave the trailer on the scales when you unhooked it? If so, were the front jacks on the same weighing platform as the trailer axles or on the same platform as the drive axles?

Reading the OP

Unhooked the trailer and weighed the truck.

Steering axle - 5040
Drive Axle - 3640

What indication do you have the trailer is on the scale?
Know that most don't care, but unhooking a trailer on the scale is rude, and can tell you nothing that the average 3rd grader could not figure out by numbers with trailer unhooked out of the way while you weigh the TV.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Did you leave the trailer on the scales when you unhooked it? If so, were the front jacks on the same weighing platform as the trailer axles or on the same platform as the drive axles?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

WoodturnerII
Explorer
Explorer
I will re-weigh everything and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with others - go re-weigh and be extra careful on your axle placement. Something seems awry here. You don't want to start fixing a problem until you actually confirm that there is one. This, for me, falls into the 'measure twice, cut once' category.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old school trucker here. If you can't move weight in the trailer back you could put a longer tongue on the trailer, and move the 5th wheel forward. The forward hitch would mean part of the load would be carried on front axle. The longer tongue would transfer weight to the trailer axles.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Tell the wife to get out of the truck bed and re-weigh??
JK

So does it have 5k of pin weight or not? Can you even tell the difference?
2000-2500lbs should about "level" your F350. 5,000lbs of pin weight will set it on the bump stops or d@mn close. Which was it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Sounds like you had the front trailer axle in contact with the second scale plate.

A trailer of that size and weight certainly doesn't have just one axle so I was suspect of the scale weight of the trailer axle as well.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you had the front trailer axle in contact with the second scale plate.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to reweigh. Something wasn't kosher the first time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"