cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive RV Insurance Scam

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
I was speaking to an agent from Progressive on why my RV policy jumped another 20% this year. We went through each of the items and the agent made an offhanded comment regarding personal items coverage. The agent said the max Progressive will pay on any personal item is $500. I confirmed what the agent told me in their "California Motor Home Policy" page 35, Limits of Liability Section 2. a under Replacement Cost Personal Effects Coverage, section e. $500 per item.

So the $2,000 notebook I travel with, iPad, or digital camera, if any these of these items are stolen, I am only partially covered. Up until recently, I used to believe Progressive would pay me replacement cost, it sure sounds like it my declaration page where it says "Replacement Cost Personal Effects Coverage." But the scam is found page page 36, section 2. subsection e: max $500 per item.

I personally find this intentionally misleading and an outright scam. I dropped this coverage, immediately and I am shopping for better coverage. If there was a theft, I would end up going with my homeowners for personal items anyway. Why pay for this coverage? Progressive says in their advertising, "Its not a car, don't insure it like one." RIP OFF ALERT.
~surfride
43 REPLIES 43

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Here is one for you.> NATIONWIDE

Both Michigan and South Carolina, where my wife crashed our brand new used JEEP, totaling both the car and herself. Have laws that are much alike.

IF you own an automobile, and it is insured, that insurance covers a new purchase for a period of days to enable you to properly insure it, it also covers rentals.

Guess what. Nationwide tells me that my RV's policy did NOT cover that 4 day old JEEP (2 business days).

Right.. Oh Mr, Insurance Regulatory Commissioner... Will be writing that letter soon as some more dust settles.

So what is it you're saying? Nationwide behaved outside the written terms of your agreement., ? Or within the terms of your agreement?
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

cbconway
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that there are significant differences between insurance companies. I have been very happy with Cincinnati Insurance -- they aren't the cheapest, but they pay quickly and completely. Never a hassle.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ("When all else fails, play dead") -- Possum Lodge motto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC SB Auto 3.42

Len___Cheri
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure he said he dropped Progressive.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
So your insurance went up 20% (again) and you are still with them? :h

And posting on here about a scam? :h :h Sorry, don't get it...

Give GMAC a call, give Good Sam a call, give SOMEONE a call...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is one for you.> NATIONWIDE

Both Michigan and South Carolina, where my wife crashed our brand new used JEEP, totaling both the car and herself. Have laws that are much alike.

IF you own an automobile, and it is insured, that insurance covers a new purchase for a period of days to enable you to properly insure it, it also covers rentals.

Guess what. Nationwide tells me that my RV's policy did NOT cover that 4 day old JEEP (2 business days).

Right.. Oh Mr, Insurance Regulatory Commissioner... Will be writing that letter soon as some more dust settles.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Instead of picking apart the OP's usage of the word "scam" and telling him how to better read his Progressive RV insurance policy, why don't some of you chime in with suggestions as to better RV insurance companies for the OP to check into that have coverage with higher personal effects coverage limits.

If he's not going to read the policy provided by Progressive, what would make anyone believe he'd read the policy provided by State Farm / Allstate / Farmers / Geico / USAA / etc... ?

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Tough crowd here Surfride, but I tend to go with you on this one. If its not scamming, it sure is intentionally misleading if it states in the declaration "Replecement value for personal effects, and then in another sections stating a $500 limit. But hey if people here enjoy getting ripped, who am I to complain. So thank you for the heads up.

BTW I think an attorney would have a field day with this one.

Outside of the big evil medical/pharmaceutical organizations, big evil oil companies, and the big evil banks.... Big evil insurance is probably next in line to be one of the most heavily regulated industries out there...

If any of you honestly think ALL of the information necessary for a policy holder to make an informed decision is somehow or another NOT available, you're just being silly.

And it's just someone who's had their pride hurt who could think that their personal attorney could go toe-to-toe with the TEAM of attorneys who made certain that ALL information was clearly spelled out to the consumer.... At least a consumer who has the common sense to be informed ๐Ÿ˜‰

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Instead of picking apart the OP's usage of the word "scam" and telling him how to better read his Progressive RV insurance policy, why don't some of you chime in with suggestions as to better RV insurance companies for the OP to check into that have coverage with higher personal effects coverage limits.

Well until the OP or someone decides to schedule out higher value personal effects and get a quote we are all guessing. Like I stated earlier, there is a $500 per item limit up to your maximum personal effects coverage for unscheduled items. The OP already has the option to put higher value items on a schedule. It is not like the coverage does not exist.

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance agent is my boss's wife. She works for an insurance broker and reviews my coverage/premiums every year at renewal time. I currently have Progressive and she asked me if I was going to keep/use expensive personal property in the RV. We don't, so the $500 cap per item is sufficient. I would seriously consider purchasing insurance through a broker than aligning one's self to a particular company. Your insurance is only as good as the agent who sells it.....

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have Progressive RV insurance too and am not happy with their ever-increasing premiums - plus now that Dave has informed us, I'm not happy with these caps on personal effects. We carry items worth more than $500 in our Rv, so perhaps a more cost effective RV insurance is in order.

Any suggestions as to companies superior to Progressive for RV coverage? (Warren Buffet has enough money already ... so there is no need to have any special attachment to Progressive insurance so as to add to Warren's pile of $$$$!)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
Goostoff wrote:
Many many years ago in Chicago there was this certain group of people that would walk into the local businesses and tell them they had to pay for protection. Eventually there were charges of racketeering, profiteering, and extortion.

Now they just simply call this legalized extortion, insurance, and the mob is now simply agents, and on the other side you have the scumbag lawyers that are responsible for the extremely high rates we all pay and all the stupid little clauses written in the fine print

Great thing about today's rules is "you do not have to purchase" the coverage you "hate" so bad. Just save your money and pay "cash" for everything. No one will be shaking you down making you purchase "protection" you don't want. I bet you would "gripe" if all the Ins. Co. went out of business or better yet, "refuse to write coverage for you" yet Insure your neighbor? Also, all policies are written in "plain language". If you cannot understand it, ask any 10 yr. old and they can explain it to you. 21 yrs. of P&C Ins. Sales fuels my post.

We are required by law to have a minimum liability insurance so it doesnt matter how you pay for something you are still forced to pay for "protection"
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Your home policy also has limits on a similar page. Guns, cash, securities, jewelry, collectibles are all items not covered well on a traditional home policy depending on how a loss happens.

This is also an area that list exclusions.

Are those scams and deceptive as well?
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
if it says "Replacement Cost Personal Effects Coverage" up front on the first page, and the $500 limit is hidden on page 35, then it seems to me that they are trying to mislead the buyer.

They most certainly are. Everyone can decide for themselves if that is a scam or not, but they absolutely are expecting you to not read the details on page 35. They DEFINITELY KNOW that MOST people do no.

I'd call it a scam, but everyone can decide that for themselves.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
An insurance policy or any other contract is not like your daily paper. The words on page 35 of a contract are just as important as the words on page 1. You may learn all you need to know on page 1 of a newspaper but you need to read every page of a contact.