cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling with a Ram 2500

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a trip to Virginia from Missouri to see my son who is stationed there. Its 1100 miles and will be the longest trip I have taken with my new set up as far as my Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4L with a 4:10 gears. What am I to expect on MPGs? It only has 2800 miles on it as well as with the heavier truck do I need the WDH from my travel trailer or just go without it. I needed it on my 1500 silverado but curious if I need it now. Trying to plan out the trip with a camp ground in Kentucky to split up the 16-18hr drive.

TT length 38ft, and loaded and passengers weight will be at 8200lbs.

Thank you for all your input!
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab V-8 Hemi 6.4l-4:10 gears
2018 Crossroad Sunset trail
21 REPLIES 21

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2016 Ram 6.4, CC, 373 gears has pulled our 10,300 fifth wheel and our new 10,000 TT about 24,000 miles and actually averages 8.5 hand calc. We run 61 MPH or so, and try not to exceed 4,000 RPM when pulling hills.
Empty, we run speed limit and average about 15 MPG.
Very satisfied with the truck, except for the number of recalls and attempts to have them resolved.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
An equal size/weight 5ver is going to have negligible mileage difference over a TT. If anything it might be a shade worse being taller or a-shade better if the nose is more aero.
If youโ€™re getting 17mpg average on the highway repeatably, youโ€™re doing as absolutely good as humanly possible with a truck that size. You probably donโ€™t actually average that mpg.
Towing will get what it gets. Asking the question is like asking how many calories are in a pizza.....too many variables, crust, size, ingredients, toppings, did you eat the big slices or little ones, lol.
Same with mileage. Avg speed, acceleration rates, wind, hills, weight, aerodynamics, ambient temperature, etc etc etc.
One true statement is youโ€™ll burn through a tank pretty quick. Trucks with these towing capacities, all of them, should come with big fuel tanks, imo. Thanks to Ford, wish others would follow suit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Great information! I was actually considering a 5th Wheel with DW of 12k. Sounds like pulling a FW you got better mileage then the TT. I know with no trailer I get 13-14 in town and 17 hwy if I stay under or on 2000 Rpm at 70. I did get the truck for the 4:10 gearing specifically for the reason stated by dodge guy.Since its not a daily driver mileage is not a big concern but when towing I look more in to it for all the stops with a trailer is annoying..may even add another fuel cell. Thank You all for sharing, keep it up for I enjoy everyones feedback.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
crcr wrote:
Missouri Man wrote:
Great Feedback! The tongue weight is 750lbs and dry weight its at 7100 lbs. loaded with food, clothes and 3 of us, is where I am getting my 8200 lb number for I pull with no water, but you could be right, I may be closer to 9k but the truck is rated to tow 16k with the 4:10. One of these days I may look towards a 5th wheel. Again all your responses are fantastic!

Dry weights are a fiction for manufacturer retail marketing and are meaningless for any practical purpose. Right from the factory, RV's weigh more than their "dry weight". What is your trailer's GVWR? I would guess your true weight ready to camp is probably right at your GVWR. I bet it weights 10K+ ready to camp. Take it across a CAT scale ready to camp and I bet you will be very surprised.

While it's true an RV will weigh a bit more than it's dry weight it will not weigh 3klbs more ready to camp!

My 7100lb dry TT weighed 9300lbs ready to travel. And I packed like a full timer for weekend and 2 week trips! So a normal person would more than likely pack less. I packed for 2 adults and 2 kids. So the OP will definitely be less.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always say to add 12-1500lbs to the dry weight (add that to the dry weight sticker on the trailer). I would definitely use a WD hitch as the properly loaded tongue weight should be 12% of the trailers loaded for travel weight. This would give you a tongue weight of 1100lbs.
The 4.10's should give you a bit better mileage towing than the 3.73's do. And the performance will be even better in the mountains.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

zanzarista
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 04 RAM diesel and have fuel records from 2004 to date. Towing a 24ft, 7800lb 5th wheel, I got between 9 and 11 MPG towing in the northwest where mountains are real. I recently sold the 5th wheel and bought a 29ft TT which by chance, is also about 7880lbs with SOME stuff in it. Now I get between 8 and 10MPG with an average tow speed on the interstate around 65MPH. The tongue weight is 1000lbs. On the 2004 RAM, the factory hitch is rated for 1200lbs, in the documents I've found.
The scale operators near me, frown audibly when I tried to disconnect my trailer from the TV to get the Trailer weight, so I have to find another way to weigh.
All of this probably doesn't help answer your question though...
No matter what you tow, keep an eye on the transmission temp, it can creep up real quick when it's hot out, the A/C is on and you're pulling up hill.
Good luck with your choice and safe travels, no matter where you go..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2021 RAM 3500 6.7HO CC SRW
2017 Arctic Fox 25W
Escapees Member
Blue Ox with StrapTek
HAM operator - monitoring 146.52 on the road
1 favorite wife
1 Schnauzer and 1 Westy

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought of that. I will run across a scale and post the actual weight soon. Very Helpful.Great Tip 1320fastback. I will due just that, still 8 is not bad when towing a Brick behind you..lol

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Missouri Man wrote:
Great Feedback! The tongue weight is 750lbs and dry weight its at 7100 lbs. loaded with food, clothes and 3 of us, is where I am getting my 8200 lb number for I pull with no water, but you could be right, I may be closer to 9k but the truck is rated to tow 16k with the 4:10. One of these days I may look towards a 5th wheel. Again all your responses are fantastic!

Dry weights are a fiction for manufacturer retail marketing and are meaningless for any practical purpose. Right from the factory, RV's weigh more than their "dry weight". What is your trailer's GVWR? I would guess your true weight ready to camp is probably right at your GVWR. I bet it weights 10K+ ready to camp. Take it across a CAT scale ready to camp and I bet you will be very surprised.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Budget for 8 and use the left over cash to go to dinner when you get to Virginia.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
38' , 8200 lbs ... Have you taken it fully loaded and ready to camp across a CAT scale? I'll bet it probably weighs a lot more than 8200.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500 Ram, 2013, CC, LB.. towing about 7,500 # travel trailer. 5.7 Hemi.
10 mpg... uphill, downhill, tailwind, headwind. I am on a 10 month trip (so far) from FL to WA/OR/MT and now back to NC.... can count on 10 average.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the weight distributing hitch. I would not be a bit surprised if your tongue weight exceeds 1400lbs and that is a long trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished a 3200 mile trip around the west. Most at or near 5000'. Towed 9500 lbs. 2018 Ram 2500 6.4, 4.10.
I never hand calc'd but the trip meter said 9.6 mpg. That include probably 250 miles of non towing.
Lots of 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear stuff in the mountains and two long days running 60-65 mph in 5th. Some tailwinds and headwinds. Flat and mountains. Pretty much covered all conditons. Even one run up and over Teton Pass in WY. 1st gear wound out tight at 4800 rpms for part of it.

I just figure 9 mpg as my base for distance per tank purposes. The EVIC is probably off as that seems to be the norm. I know one thing for sure, my truck loves gas stations.