cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pullrite SuperGlide owner question

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Question for Pullrite SuperGlide users. I'm just about to buy a 2700.

What do you do when, for example, you take the 5th wheel in for service and they need to move it? Do you remove the capture plate when you drop it off?

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
14 REPLIES 14

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Superglide for my last fifth wheel we bought in '04. Well built hitch but on our new rig I installed a B&W Patriot. Our Superglide capture plate I ended up tack welding it on as I had issues with the screws shearing off. I also didn't care for having to be relatively straight on to hitch and unhitch, and the extra maintenance involved.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

mighty7sd wrote:
I just got a superglide and my storage lot uses a forklift as well so it's not a problem.

I'd be concerned that the nylon spacer block would deteriorate from constant removal of the capture plate.

I understand that you have to be straight on to hitch up, but as I haven't tried, do you also have to be straight on when you unhitch?

Yes , I believe it something like 8 degree of/on... In the 9 years I have had my capture plate, hooking and unhooking straight has never been an issue,, YET - - - -
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a superglide and my storage lot uses a forklift as well so it's not a problem.

I'd be concerned that the nylon spacer block would deteriorate from constant removal of the capture plate.

I understand that you have to be straight on to hitch up, but as I haven't tried, do you also have to be straight on when you unhitch?
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS

Have had my 18k superglide since "07" and its worth every penny..

As far as service, i leave it on and mention it to the service writer... its never been a problem with their forklifts and cups....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
Thanks guys. How do you like the hitch?

Having to be almost in a straight line with the trailer hooking/unhooking an issue?

Most times it is not a problem. One time I just couldn't get straight I just pulled the two pins holding the hitch head on and lifted the hitch head out of the cradle using the landing gear. Once the truck was out of the way I pulled the pin and slid the head off the pin to place it back on the hitch. Funny thing is the site I had to do that at, I have been back into many times and got straight every time to unhook.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

Having to be almost in a straight line with the trailer hooking/unhooking an issue?

That is my biggest issue is you can only be off by a little to hitch up and I have had some issues in the storage lot because it is on a slope and it doesn't want to release the pin. Also I always keep a lock on the hitch so the plate can't be taken.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

IMHO there is no better slider!

I've had mine since 2003 and haven't had a hitch/unhitch issue yet.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Most dealers afaik use a fork lift with a cup to move trailers around.
They don't have the time to hitch up or the space to maneuver a truck around.
Besides it will not be the first SG hitch they have seen.

The problem is they are not looking at the superglide hitch. They are looking at a capture plate that, unless you are looking for it, is really hard to notice. The part that makes it different is a wedge extending out directly behind the pin. It hides rather well.

Taking the plate off takes 2 minutes and removes all chance of it being missed.
Not taking the plate off leaves the chance that the capture plate, pin box and possibly the hitch on whatever the dealer uses will be damaged.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Not the dealer I just my my 5th wheel from. Fork lift yes, but they use a 5th wheel plate the same size as a hitch.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
If I leave the capture plate on, I hang a red-tag from the king-pin. So far that was stopped them from moving it.

Actually I'm considering removing and selling the Superglide, the previous owner installed it and I find it unneeded (it's a long bed).
Between the hitch-unhitch angle, the slight increase in maintenance (over regular hitches) and the weight when I need to pull the hitch I'm wishing I had a regular hitch.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave mine on but after the last trip to the shop, the shop ruined it and bought me a new one so I will probably remove if it goes back to the shop again
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
Question for Pullrite SuperGlide users. I'm just about to buy a 2700.

What do you do when, for example, you take the 5th wheel in for service and they need to move it? Do you remove the capture plate when you drop it off?

S

Yes that is exactly what I do. All it takes for mine is a wrench and a hex key/Allen wrench. I have them in my tool kit in the trailer just in case I have breakdown on the road and have to have somebody else pull the trailer.